PDA

View Full Version : not working school holidays

Mari
11-08-2009, 10:16 AM
I know a childminder who looks after Teacher's children only so that she can ensure school holidays off. I am thinking of doing the same and wondered if there are any other childminders who do it and whether they think it's worth doing.

My youngest daughter is going full time in September so her space will be available for another under 5 (where I get most of my income) so I am hoping that if I fill all 3 of my full time spaces then it will even things out for me ( easier said than done I know)

So, are there any childminders who do this other than the other one I know? She charges more than I do and her customers think that they are making a saving anyway as they are not paying for childcare that they don't need during the holdiays. Anytips on how I should set charges etc. I am currently charging a minimum of £28 per day and £3.25 per hour for any chid over 8 hours. I include meals and snacks and playgroups, it has been working out ok so far and I am falling within the other childminders and creche charges in the area, but as the service would changfe should I review this?

rickysmiths
11-08-2009, 11:04 AM
I used to do this when my two were small and as dh is a teacher it suited us well.

I always charged half fee as a retainer during the holidays though. I did this on the basis that because dh is a teacher when I went back to work full time when I had dd we thought we would be able to save money on childcare.

How wrong we were!! lol Even in 1993 we were charged half fee by our childminder during the holidays.

Just remember the teacher parents are being paid 'full fee' during all their holidays and then expecting you to keep a place free ready for the new term I don't think this should be free.

Mari
11-08-2009, 12:00 PM
Thanks, something to think about. :idea:

uf353432
11-08-2009, 01:33 PM
Although not intentionally my parents are all term time only contracts - I do charge them 1/2 fee in school holidays as well - but if you charge a retainer you need to be prepared to take the children in holidays. If you definately don't want to take the kids then you should not charge a retainer - but if thats the case then you would be in your rights to charge a slightly higher hourly rate to compensate you for not having an income and not charging a retainer :)

atmkids
11-08-2009, 01:48 PM
I would love to work term time only but to make it financially viable I'd have to have all 3 under 5 spaces filled. I am full but only one of my mindees is a teachers child and I don't think there are enough teachers with young children in the village. :(

The Juggler
24-08-2009, 09:20 AM
I care for children of two teachers and a school office worker. My other children are part-time only (2 days per week) so I only work those two days in the holidays. It's lovely and suits me as I study in the holidays and get some time to spend with my two. I don't charge a retainer for the holidays as I prefer it this way.

I have one mum who works in private school but I only offer her the 13 weeks payment free (private schools get longer holidays) so just ensure you state the weeks payment free rather than term-time only so you don't get caught out.

I advertised in all the local schools (asking office to put a copy in the staff-room) and when I advertise on netmums or local CIS website, children's centres then I make sure I use the fact I don't charge a retainer in the holidays as a selling point.