PDA

View Full Version : Ha d a really bad inspector for my first visit!! help

Von T
10-08-2009, 09:29 AM
I am in the middle of a nightmare, I had my initial Ofstead visit 2 weeks ago it was one of the worst experiences ever! I have sure start fighting my corner now but I am getting nowhere. They tell me to just re-apply, no managers from ofstead will call and apparently it is being passed from manager to manager? Has anyone else in the north West area had a really grumpy old inspector??? I believe I can't say his name on here but I am wondering if I am alone in this???

Omg, I am making myself sound a bit odd!! I have a large clean tidy new build home, I have 2 of my own beautifull children. I have always worked. I'm just trying to paint a picture so you don't just think I was probably horrible or dirty and thats why I have to re apply.

The inspector was a bit "off" on the phone when he made the appointment, I didnt think anything of it after all they are not meant to be friendly ...they are after all inspectors.
He made an appointment for 9.30am...turned up at 9.05 (not a problem, it was just the way he did it like he was trying to catch me out). He was rude about the fact that I look quite young to have a big house?! He was rude when I ofered him tea or coffee and he said water will do.when I asked if tap water was ok?? he said what other type of water is there???the world is going mad!!! While taking a tour of the house he insulted me by saying hello to my 3 year old who had been playing in her room (her hair was all messy as she and my son had been playing tents) he said oh dear...have you just got up???? this was a particular insult as she was dressed and said no. But also who in their right mind would leave a 3 year old in bed on the day of an inspection??? He then started going on and on about the dog and saying I had to put a big fence down my garden,wouldnt give up. Really upset me suggesting I should even get rid of my dog! More of all this followed and eventually he left. Stupidly my husband had forgotten to leave me his driving license to go with the CRB as he works away mon-fri I told him I was unable to get it, I was so disappointed and angry I hadnt double checked before my husband left for work. He said he would put me down on the computer as "unsuitable" and I would have to re-book and have the documment. I thought this was fair enough...it was after all my fault, he called me an hour and a half later and said he would not be re booking the appointment and I would have to re-apply!! I am now ringing and ringing ofstead to get an answer but no one ever calls me back.

The most irritating thing is that my neighbour and a childminder friend round the corner came round as I was distraught, one of them has a dog and simply said "why didnt he just say don't register the garden??" simple as it sounds I didn't think of that? But he should have. And the other one said she was missing one documment on her inspection and they just set the ball rolling and picked it up on the next visit. After all it wasn't a passport and what if my husband hadnt been a driver???

If you search facebook under Yvonne Childminder Warrington you will see a page I set up for anyone looking for a childminder.it gives pictures of my home etc, It isnt illegal as it states I would not be available until September that's when it was anticipated I'd be up and running. I won't give up, of all the people that are out there that really shoiuldnt be childminding I am not one and I will get registered.

Surestart explained that Ofstead have draughted in some school inspectors to cope with demand and that he is probably one of these, that doesn't really help me though.

katickles
10-08-2009, 02:17 PM
I think thats bang out of order of the inspector - I personally would just preservere (sp) with the phone calls, daily if tahts what it takes until you find out what they expect you to do.

Hopefully one of the other more experienced minders will be along soon to offer better advice.

Keep your chin up though - sounds like you have a lovely home & there are plenty of minders with dogs!

miffy
10-08-2009, 02:25 PM
Have you got anything in writing from Ofsted?

Surely if they are not going to register you then you should have a written decision and a right of appeal.

Miffy xx

It's a small world
10-08-2009, 02:26 PM
You poor thing how awful.. I was quite lucky with mine she was lovley and hope to get her again for proper inspection. She spent 5 mins looking around the house and then just chatted to me. We had a bit in common as her daughter studied at Manchester uni and I'm from Manchester area.. so chatted about the area etc... Hope you get things sorted...please don't let it put you off. you obviously got someone on a bad day (which isn't your fault) fingers crossed for your next visit..

ORKSIE
10-08-2009, 02:30 PM
i am so sorry you had such a bad experience.
I am not from your neck of the woods so have not come across Mr Grumpy.
Have you had a report back, you get the right to appeal once you have got your report.
I would if I were you, he sounds rather unfair and rude.

zillervalley
10-08-2009, 02:35 PM
that is well out of line, sorry you had a bad experience, and poor dog, I must admit my garden id not registered, because of my do and the drains, I have ha my garden redone and thinking about getting it on my certificate,

hope all gets sorted out , keep us informed

ziller

Pipsqueak
10-08-2009, 02:38 PM
If you feel you have been unfairly treated (which by how you describe is accurate) then you can make an official complaint.
A newly reg'g cm friend of mine did - and 'won' the issue with Ofsted resulting in the inspector having to make an apology to the lady.

You need to document it, keep it factual and professional. I would also say that you do not appreciate being made to feel uncomfortable in your own home by a GUEST.

Yes, the inspectors are there to inspect - that is their job after all what they aren't there to do is belittle, insult or pass comment on your age or status or personal life.

I am sorry you have had to experience this - not all inspectors are like this.

Put it in writing - keep a signed copy for yourself. Ring and ask Ofsted for their complaints procedure (ask them to email it to you) so that you have a copy of how they should be handling it.
Any correspondance keep copies of - any phone calls log the date and time and who you spoke to with notes of what was said.

LittleAcorns
10-08-2009, 03:14 PM
Hiya Ive sent a friend request to you through FB, as already said, document it all! and Id be on that phone daily until they spoke to me! to be so rude is unacceptable!! and as for your dog, providing you dont leave the dog alone with kiddies and check for dog mess routinely, the dog is de-wormed de-flead blah blah, its all common sense though isnt it?

Personally I think its valuable lessons for children to have animals around, it teaches them to respect them!

Celtic Star
12-08-2009, 12:41 PM
OMG your inspection sounds terrible I would be putting in an official complaint regarding it and about the fact teat you couldn't get throught o speak to someone regarding the matter.

ZoeAlli
12-08-2009, 03:48 PM
I am sorry you have had a bad experience for your first inspection. It is unfair for him to have treated you , your home and your family with so little respect.
Before you forget anything that happen on the day during your inspection, make some notes about what he said, and what he did. Write down everything you remember as close to how it happened, including his mannerisms, tone of voice and attitude. You can also mention the way he was when booking to see you.
Before making a complaint you need to read the information on the Ofsted website to do with "making a complaint about Ofsted" the address of where to send your complaint in writing is on there aswell! You have 30days from receiving the written report to file a complaint. I would start writing a draft of the events now so that when you receive your report you can refer to your notes.
When writing your complaint try to use points from your report and then use your notes to back up what happened.
Don't be made to feel anything is your fault, not having a document to hand is not the end of the world, he could've asked you to send it to them or even arranged to collect it at the next inspection- was unfair to right you off because of it!!
As Pip has said YOU MUST KEEP A RECORD (PREFERABLY WRITTEN) OF ALL CORRESPONDANCE BE IT LETTER, E-MAIL OR SPOKEN WITH OFSTED as it will all count and you have your proof!!
To encourage you, I too had a bad inspection (I cried for 3 hours after they left- wanted to send mindees home and give it all up!!!):( . However, from the encouragement of friends, mindees parents adn support officer I lodged a formal complaint about my inspection. A month later, I had the inspection null and voided due to her word agianst mine!! The investigator also took off the two actions the inspector had given me as they were deemed unnecessary!!:clapping:
If you want some help I will do my best. I will try to dig out the notes I have about filing a formal complaint (they should be up to date as the complaint was made earlier this year!). You are welcome to pm me or post and I will keep looking.
Hope this helps.
Let us know how you get on!
Sorry for long post :blush:

wellybelly
12-08-2009, 04:56 PM
Defo make an official complaint, then someone will call you and have to look into it. Best of luck and keep us posted x

Playmate
12-08-2009, 05:10 PM
You poor thing, I hope you get it sorted soon. I'm glad you have still got the determination to fight, don't give up!

cuffleygirl
12-08-2009, 05:21 PM
Poor poor you!

I am really angry on your behalf.

Sadly this just about sums up all that is wrong with this system! We have to invite these people into our homes, their judgements are often inconsistent, alot don't have on the job childminding experience and you can tell straightaway who has!

It makes the experience doubly personal as it happens in your own home and if the inspector was doing their job properly they would be constructive and supportive and even if they felt there was a problem they should be able to be professional and state what should be done to put it right.

If school inspectors (sounds like what happened here) are doing the job of inspecting childminders its just not fair alot of us take alot of us are very good and take pride in what we do and deserve to be judged by someone who knows what they are looking for.

Fight this all the way you deserve better than this :thumbsup:

cuffleygirl
12-08-2009, 05:21 PM
and please let us know what happens!

MissTinkerbell
12-08-2009, 06:09 PM
Oh please don't get disheartened and give up. By the sounds of it the fault lies with the inspector and you should definitely put in a complaint - follow the advice that others have given.

There seem to be loads of inconsistencies. I can't undertsand why he would need to see you husband's driving license? Is he going to be your assisstant? the only documentation they needed to see for my DH was his CRB. Oh scrub that - just realised - you mean the application form for CRB - my hubby had already got one.

Keep smiling and fight this one all the way. Let us know how it goes and remember we are all rooting for you.

Mollymop
12-08-2009, 08:39 PM
Oh hun, I feel so sorry for you having to go through this. I have never heard of such a bad pre-reg before! It sounds as if this insepctor was out of order and NOT doing his job correctly. I agree with what everyone else has put. You're friends are right, if he had a sincere problme with you having a dog (must be a good reason, lots of us have dogs and are allowed around the children) then he should have given you an "action" such as getting not registering the garden as your friend said, or to pen an area off for the dog while the children are in the garden. Driving license for crb, what if he wasn't a driver, yes, he should have looked into this. My hubs driving license was still addressed to our old address, my pre-reg inspector picked it up but she was ok with it. The inspectors I have met have all been really really lovely. I am so shocked to hear how rude he was to you. I would have been so angry!
Please fight this and find out why this happened to you.
Don't forget inspectors are self employed, they work from home - they get audited and inspected too, so go fight it!!! he is defo in the wrong. x

Ally
16-08-2009, 09:01 PM
Firstly official complaint required and now - nobody has a right to walk into somebodies house and be rude not even Ofsted. They have a lot of rights but not that one.

Also I am somewhat perplexed at it being a male inspector? Has anybody else come across this? In all the inspections I have had and heard of they have all been female. It would therefore suggest that he had been dragged in (probably with the lure of extra money) and didn't really know what he was looking for.

COMPLAIN!!!

Ally

Cazz
16-08-2009, 10:25 PM
OMG I'm sorry to hear you've had such an awful experience with your pre-reg.

I had mine last week and fortunately I got a really nice lady who was very helpful - I feel very lucky now!

You've already had some good advice from more experienced people than me but please don't get disheartened and give up.

Let us know how you get on.

Pipsqueak
16-08-2009, 10:27 PM
Firstly official complaint required and now - nobody has a right to walk into somebodies house and be rude not even Ofsted. They have a lot of rights but not that one.

Also I am somewhat perplexed at it being a male inspector? Has anybody else come across this? In all the inspections I have had and heard of they have all been female. It would therefore suggest that he had been dragged in (probably with the lure of extra money) and didn't really know what he was looking for.

COMPLAIN!!!

Ally

Male inspectors do exist Ally - there is at least one in the NW region of Blackpool and two in the NE that I have heard of

~Chelle~
17-08-2009, 12:49 PM
Make an official complaint, he sounds rude and obnoxious. I would also keep bombarding them with calls until you get through to someone who can help.

Good luck x

Ripeberry
17-08-2009, 01:53 PM
I think we should all keep dictaphones in our homes and turn them on when the inspector calls, then we have proof of what they say!
But of course I suppose it's illegal to do that :rolleyes:

buildingblocks
20-08-2009, 01:47 PM
I am so sorry to hear of your experience as has been said fight it and get it sorted. You should not be made to feel like that by anyone in your own home. So what if your daughter had just got up (I know she hadn't) what had it to do with him.

This mad was rude and should be complained about