PDA

View Full Version : First Observation

It's a small world
07-08-2009, 01:11 PM
Hi
Could someone just look at my first observation and check I am on the right lines please????

Boy is 2.5

What did they do?
D looks into the tree stump to see if he can find any mini beasts. He sees something and points at it for me to see what he has found. Next he looks at different leaves on the ground and adds them to our collection bag. He's found a muddy puddle and has lots of fun jumping in it and tells me 'muddy' and laughs

Links to Early Years Foundation Stage

oPhysical Development
oKnowing & understanding the World
oCommunication, Language & Literacy
oCreative Development
oProblem Solving, Reasoning & Numeracy

How did the adult support learning/development?

oI suggested he to try looking in different areas for new leaves
oAsked what different things he could see/hear (birds singing in the trees/bugs/tall trees, newly planted leaves)
**don't think he understood more interested in muddy puddles and running around lol****

Next Steps?

oTalk about where different mini beasts live. Look at pictures and match them
oActivities on the different stages trees grow (include how they lose leaves in autumn)
oColouring pictures

EYFS

Problem Solving, Reasoning & Numeracy (PSRN)

oMatch the leaves to the picture
oCount Leaves 1-5 (points as I say the number)

Physical Development (PD)

oHas fun running around the forest and splashing in the muddy puddles.

Creative Development (CD)

oMakes a picture using the leaves & sticks etc collected on our walk
oColour pictures on the different stages of growing

Knowing & Understanding the World (KUW)
oLooks at different mini beasts and tells me ‘pider’ (spider) & bug (beetle)
oLook at the homes of mini beasts

Communications, Language & Literacy (CLL)
oTells me what he has seen.
oStates that he is muddy
oRead a book about bugs

That's the basic just wanted to make sure I'm on the right lines really...!!!!Maybe I'm thinking too much and making it more complicated I'm like that..making more work for myself..

Any criticism or PRAISE welcome.....ooh its like waiting for exam results..aahhhh

Daftbat
07-08-2009, 01:54 PM
It looks absolutely fine to me. Remember you don't have to do fantastic amounts of detail all the time. Short and to the point is enough - well done.

It's a small world
07-08-2009, 01:59 PM
It looks absolutely fine to me. Remember you don't have to do fantastic amounts of detail all the time. Short and to the point is enough - well done.

Thank you .

So paranoid about Ofsted not even coming till about Nov/Dec...

It's a small world
07-08-2009, 04:03 PM
Am I right in saying that I only have to doi a couple of these a month... and do I have to show evidence that the next steps were carried out????

So many questions but I guess they never stop there's always something else lol:laughing:

OrlandoBelle
07-08-2009, 04:16 PM
Yes you have to record that your next steps were carried out. My inspector was hot on this a few months ago. Observation looks great hun, but doesn't have to be that lengthly for all of them. I only do one a week for each child. Anymore than that and i'd have so much paperwork I wouldn't have time to look after the kids!:)

It's a small world
07-08-2009, 04:20 PM
Thanks Aimee x

Ruth Saxelbye
07-08-2009, 08:11 PM
When I link to EYFS, I select a particular age group and statement from the six areas learning in the Practice Guidance.
ie Language, Literacy and Communication
Linking Sounds and Letters 16-26 mths
Listen to and enjoy rhythmic patterns in rhymes and stories

OFSTED told me to state why you have suggested the next step, ie to develop understanding, extend understanding, re-inforce, motor skills, hand-eye coordination, etc.

Hope this helps and doesnt confuse!!!

It's a small world
07-08-2009, 10:01 PM
When I link to EYFS, I select a particular age group and statement from the six areas learning in the Practice Guidance.

OFSTED told me to state why you have suggested the next step, ie to develop understanding, extend understanding, re-inforce, motor skills, hand-eye coordination, etc.

Thank you for this..and it does help

FussyElmo
08-08-2009, 08:34 AM
I also use the statuory guidance so where you have linked the obs to one of the 6 areas, so k &U would be Place.

I was also told rightly or wrongly not to link it to so many areas just to 1 or two :)

sweets
08-08-2009, 08:37 AM
I also use the statuory guidance so where you have linked the obs to one of the 6 areas, so k &U would be Place.

I was also told rightly or wrongly not to link it to so many areas just to 1 or two :)

Hi i was told that too. if you think about nearly every activity can be linked to all 6 areas in some way. my DO said to just link it to the main 2 or 3 that it covers, you don't have to find a link to all 6

OrlandoBelle
08-08-2009, 08:43 AM

I also do this. I have a book Kerrie that has been very helpful. It's called the "Practical EYFS Handbook" by Penny Tassoni. It's £13.89 on Amazon. It's helped me a lot. x