PDA

View Full Version : Polictical Correctness

It's a small world
06-08-2009, 11:59 AM
What are Ofsted(and everyones view) on political Correctness ???

Some places do not allow Baa Baa Black Sheep....what about Baa Baa White Sheep....is this allowed ......

or do we say Baa Baa everycolour Sheep ???? (would have to make words up for this one ):laughing:

Just thinking about it as have been singing this morning with boys and wondered which song we should use ??

Mollymop
06-08-2009, 12:01 PM
I think it is damn silly if you ask me and I will carry on singing baa baa black sheep, he is balck after all!!

Minstrel
06-08-2009, 12:02 PM
Personally I sing Baa Baa Black Sheep in this particular example.

Daddy Day Care
06-08-2009, 12:06 PM
I havent changed the words, but I know my daughters nursery sang Baa Baa "Happy" sheep and one of the groups that I go to sing Baa Baa Rainbow sheep.

I think its stupid but dont know where Ofsted stand with this

Gareth
xx

Mouse
06-08-2009, 12:10 PM
I once had this converstaion with a mum, who is black.

She said how she found it more offensive that words were changed and children weren't allowed to sing Baa Baa Black Sheep at the nursery where she worked. She said it gave the impression there was something wrong with being black. She refered to herself as black, just as she refered to me as being white.

I think too many people try to be very PC and end up causing more offense. They seem embarrassed to use the word black.

We do sing various versions of Baa Baa *colour* sheep if we're doing colours, but not because we're trying to avoid certain words.

Mollymop
06-08-2009, 12:12 PM
What has a black sheep got to do with a black person!!???!!
let's all ban the colour black!! :panic:

It's a small world
06-08-2009, 12:21 PM
I too think its daft I just wanted to see what Ofsted said about things like this ???

I actuallly sing Baa Baa Black Sheep & Baa Baa White Sheep as the words differ and my son loves them both..

Can I ask with Baa Baa Rainbow sheep is it the same as the original but change black to rainbow or are the words different ????

Daddy Day Care
06-08-2009, 12:24 PM
Just the same as the original

Gareth
xx

Spangles
06-08-2009, 12:39 PM
I thought it was politically correct for you to say 'black' for a person and it's incorrect to say 'coloured' now for some reason?

Can't see the problem with baa baa black sheep or blackboard. For goodness sake, the sheep is black coloured and the board is black! What in the world can be offensive about that? No-one cares about labelling anything white - whiteboards - ooooh how nasty!

I think it's all going waaaay too far and someone somewhere seems to change the rules overnight as well so you never know what you're supposed to be saying! It makes me feel like I daren't speak sometimes as I don't want to offend anyone.

It is very annoying especially as it seems it's normally 'white' people in this country who make these rules up in the first place.

Chimps Childminding
06-08-2009, 06:40 PM
We still sing Baa Baa Black Sheep!!!!! PC has gone mad enough in the rest of the country without starting on nursery rhymes as well!!!!!:angry:

Pipsqueak
06-08-2009, 06:47 PM
I have always and will always sing Baa Baa Black Sheep - actually I am pretty inclusive because I actually sing (although not loud enough for the mindees) about the 'boy who lives down the drain':D

I also include 'crinkled stars' - twinkle twinkle

In all seriousness I think some of this pc crapola is started by people who hve nothing better to than take it upon themselves to 'improve someone elses life':rolleyes:

cherry pink
06-08-2009, 06:50 PM
my sister started singing ''baa baa multi coloured sheep'' when my niece started school as they too had changed the words and used rainbow sheep..

all this so called political correctness has just got too silly for words and in my own opinion is more insulting than before...one of my parents who is white is married to a black man and lovingly calls her dd ''my little chocolate bunny'' yes the little one is black or ''chocolate coloured'' as her mum calls it. when everyone said they should not use the word coloured her dad said i'm not black i'm brown

singlewiththree
06-08-2009, 07:32 PM
We have a couple of different versions of Miss Polly at toddler groups we go to

one ends the traditional way "I'll be back in the morning with my bill bill bill"

one ends the new way "I'll be back in the morning yes I will will will"

When my friend sings it the traditional way she says well we are with bupa :laughing:

Mollymop
06-08-2009, 07:44 PM
Since when has sheep been multicoloured??? Let's delud all the kiddies!?

Have you heard the nursery rhyme about "the old woman who lived in a shoe?" she whipped all her kids!! The nasty cow!

And "ladybird ladybird fly away home" well all her kids died in the fire, all except one!!!

And "3 blind mice"? the farmer's wife, well, she cut off all the poor little blind mice's tails!!!

And "little Polly Flinders" she got the whip from her abusive mum cos she spoilt her pretty little dress!

The world has gone mad!! (but reading these old nursery rhymes, it does give you the shivers)

francinejayne
09-12-2009, 10:33 PM
How sad that we have to even think about this! Baa baa black sheep will live on in my house!

Pipsqueak
09-12-2009, 10:47 PM
I have a book about nursery rhyme meanings somewhere..... most have really sinister meanings and tales behind them!

Singing all these songs never did us no 'arm did it!

wendywu
09-12-2009, 11:13 PM
A very lovely old gentleman who has since passed on once said to me that PC stood for....sorry in advance Pauline....Pure Crap. And im afraid to say i tend to agree with him. :D

clio0602
16-12-2009, 10:56 PM
We sing baa baa black sheep but lo's nursery sing baa baa woolly sheep have you any wool :rolleyes: hmmm doesn't quite make sense to me!

Personally I don't think there is anything wrong saying black when the sheep is black think some things are going a bit too far !

Desi-101
17-12-2009, 12:05 AM
All part of the "nanny state" in terms of correctness. I think baa baa black sheep is still okay but some nurseries and schools prefer to change it by personal choice as not to offend. Some people are too scared to even mention Christmas in case it offends. Our local council newsletter printed all the up coming holidays mentioning Diwali, Chinese new year etc in the November publication and when it came to Christmas they said "and a certain christian holiday on the 25th". They had so many complaints that they have now printed an apology!!

The Juggler
17-12-2009, 11:27 AM
there was a version of baa, baa on a video I had once, with black, white and stripey verses!

the funniest PC thing I heard recently was you can't make a diamond shape with your hands in twinkle, twinkle little star any longer as it's sign language for vagina! as if under 5's are going to know that anyway. I will be doing my old diamond shape as long as I want to....

venus89
17-12-2009, 11:32 AM
there was a version of baa, baa on a video I had once, with black, white and stripey verses!

the funniest PC thing I heard recently was you can't make a diamond shape with your hands in twinkle, twinkle little star any longer as it's sign language for vagina! as if under 5's are going to know that anyway. I will be doing my old diamond shape as long as I want to....

But it is funny sat in a room full of people signing 'like a vagina in the sky'.......

Personally, I think it's stupid. In schools they have interactive whiteboards BUT you can't say blackboard, it's now a chalkboard.....

julie w
17-12-2009, 11:56 AM

Sorry, that made me laugh. I just had visions of Mr Tumble signing away to this one.:laughing:

The Juggler
17-12-2009, 04:19 PM
Sorry, that made me laugh. I just had visions of Mr Tumble signing away to this one.:laughing:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: mind you he's so camp he could get away with anything!

Tink
17-12-2009, 04:26 PM
Nursery rhymes have been around for years. Baa Baa black sheep is not racist as sheep are black and white.
It's ridiculous.
When I worked at nursery this will shock you...... We got inspected by Ofsted at Christmas, we were doing out nativity and our Mary was a colored girl. At the end Mrs O turned as said there's no such thing as a black Mary you should have gone with tradition:eek:

The Juggler
17-12-2009, 04:56 PM
Nursery rhymes have been around for years. Baa Baa black sheep is not racist as sheep are black and white.
It's ridiculous.
When I worked at nursery this will shock you...... We got inspected by Ofsted at Christmas, we were doing out nativity and our Mary was a colored girl. At the end Mrs O turned as said there's no such thing as a black Mary you should have gone with tradition:eek:

do you think she ever took geography lessons:eek:

mamasheshe
17-12-2009, 06:36 PM
A very lovely old gentleman who has since passed on once said to me that PC stood for....sorry in advance Pauline....Pure Crap. And im afraid to say i tend to agree with him. :D

great totally agree

in our house its ba ba black sheep

Shivvie
17-12-2009, 08:01 PM
But it is funny sat in a room full of people signing 'like a vagina in the sky'.......

:ROFL1: I nearly choked on my Baileys!!!!!

mamasheshe
17-12-2009, 08:04 PM

oh i haven't had a baileys this year yet not christmas till you have a baileys

venus89
17-12-2009, 08:05 PM

You might well laugh - every flipping week at bump and rhyme I have to try to keep a straight face while a room full of yummy mummies sing about the great vagina in the sky..... Do you know how difficult that is?!!!

Shivvie
17-12-2009, 08:31 PM
:laughing: I can imagine!

venus89
17-12-2009, 08:44 PM
:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: mind you he's so camp he could get away with anything!

I thought he got taken off air for a while for mucking up a sign and actually swearing or something.....?

venus89
17-12-2009, 08:51 PM
http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/news/a44172/kids-tv-host-accused-of-swearing-in-sign.html

The Juggler
17-12-2009, 10:36 PM

venus, just read your link - i take back what i said! :eek: :eek:

Pipsqueak
17-12-2009, 10:47 PM
Here you go - Origins of Baa Baa Black Sheep:
(taken from Hey Diddle Diddle by Sam Foster)

BBS first published in 1744 - has its origins in ancient tax laws.
In 1275 King Edward began to collect a duty known as The Great Custom on all exports of wool. One third would be given to 'the master' (King), one third to the dame (Church or local nobility) and final third for the little boy (the workers)

Other trivia: The BBC believes that a crackly version recorded in 1951 is the oldest piece of computer generated music

See - no racial connotations at all - so quote that back to the people when they say its not PC - tell em to buff up on their history

Merry-Minder
18-12-2009, 03:26 PM
Its all a joke and I will never change the words in my house. As soon as someone finds me a black person that was ever actually offended, then maybe I would reconsider but until then all these 'jobs worths' get take a hike!!!

Ooh I came over all mean and moody then!! lol