PDA

View Full Version : 10 yr old Term time only (retainer in Hols??)

liza
05-08-2009, 09:00 PM
Hi,

Just had a prospective parent round tonight (who later phoned and said she didn't want to use me, reasons below)

Hours would have been-
meeting her 10 yr old from school (can't get to the school at 3.30 as already picking up my son from a different school at same time, so had agreed and done policy etc that we would meet 1/2 inbetween the 2 schools and my house)
So 2 1/2 hrs a day mon - fri. Mum was fine with that and the fee's.

However I intended to charge a school hols retainer (1/2 fee) but she said she hadn't thought about this and makes it too expensive over the whole year.

So she is going to try the after school club instead.
The reasons she doesn't want to use me are
-my environment is too young - (My children are 5 and 1 , my minded kids are 5, 4 and 1. So in terms of other children present and toys I had out yes it is young, but I had already said the I would get resources for his age and interests etc. I do have TV, trampoline space to play in the garden which she said he liked etc) So think we could have worked roung this but Never mind.
- Holiday retainer

But after she phoned tonight, and reading posts on here do I need to charge a retainer? as he's 10 He won't be included in my ratio so therefore wouldn't be taking up a place when not here in hols.

For those that do charge a holiday retainer is it just for under 8's or everyone?
(I know lots of people don't do retainer, but I have chosen too as I don't get many children to fill spaces in school hols so would lose out IYSWIM.

Thanks for reading long post.

Liz

Chimps Childminding
05-08-2009, 09:11 PM
I wouldn't charge a retainer for a 10 year old, as you say he is not an age that you are restricted by numbers! I would be inclined to do a term time only contract! but that just my opinion!:thumbsup:

Goatgirl
05-08-2009, 11:43 PM
Hi,
Its entirely up to you :-)
I have little boy who is contracted for term time only but has ended up coming in the holidays, but not the whole holidays. Just what suits the parents. Its annoying that I don't get paid for the rest of the hols but at the end of the day, the parents can't afford to pay for time they're not using, so I'd rather go with the flow for now.
If things change and it would be a problem to hold a holiday space for him, then they'd have to choose whether to cough up for unused hol time or lose the hol space altogether!
Saying that though, they are really lovely parents, always complimenting me and telling me how much LO enjoys his time here :-) I hope crunch time never arrives!
If you're happy not charging a retainer, then don't :thumbsup: . Its your business; your decision. And back peddling is allowed too :-D Do what feels right.

best wishes,
wendy :)

zillervalley
05-08-2009, 11:52 PM
think I would do term time only

LittleAcorns
06-08-2009, 04:52 AM
Something Ive never really thought about as one of my mindees has just turned 8 and he too is going to an after school club when he returns to school, I wouldnt personally charge a retainer for an over 8 providing he was the type of over 8 that you could have in your house with you other minded children and own children...should you be called upon in the holidays

During some holiday days, I can have 5 (under 8') my dd (6yrs) my dd(12yrs) and 2 mindees over 8 (8yrs and 12yrs)

9 kids on a rainy day arghhh!!!

Daftbat
06-08-2009, 06:37 AM
I wouldn't do a retainer for a 10 year old, or someone who only wanting term time anyway. I have always been happy to do term time or holiday only contracts.

huggableshelly
06-08-2009, 06:46 AM
I do not do retainers.

I do term time only contracts and parents pay for a full term regardless of absense due to children going to friends homes, illness or change of hours.

I have one on flexi days who only pays 2 days out of the 5 a wk but its still a regular income.

as you have said and others too, a retainer for a term time only over 8 is asking a little to much BUT its your earnings and you need to do what you feel is right to keep a regular income for you and your family. if you decide to go with the no retainer for over 8's then as your other mindees get older and move into your over 8's but stay with you could you then live without the retainer for them too?

i know over eights are out of our numbers but where seats in the car are concerned and space in the home I still stick to a max of 7 after schoolers due to walking home safely. i've done 9 a couple of times but its hard work as the little ones want to walk with the older ones which is fine if they stay togehter but the older ones like to walk on ahead.

wow i'm writing s book LOL ....... do what you feel is best for you but dont back down to a parent, she will see you as a pushover and will aim to get cheaper rates too.

liza
06-08-2009, 11:08 AM
UPDATE
I've decided not to do a retainer for over 8's now and will amend it on my fee's.

I will still do a retainer for under 8's though as I only have 3 mindee's at the moment, I know 1 is always going to be all year, but the if the other 2 (who are brother's) swap to term time only with no retainer at any time in the future I would be losing most of my income.

I've phoned the parent and left a message explaining that after thinking about it once I took into account that he was over 8 and not part of my numbers I therefore wouldn't be holding a 'space' for him anyway during the holidays so wouldn't not be charging a retainer (and apologised for trying too!!).
Hope she sees this as a genuine mistake and not me backing down.

Wait and see what happens now.
Thanks for everyone's replies
Liz

liza
06-08-2009, 11:27 PM
UPDATE 2

Just heard back from parent, she appreciated the no holiday retainer bit, but feels he would prefer the company of older children still. so he's still not going to come to me.
There's not a lot I can do to fix that one!! Apart from magically finding older children to mind. Never mind at least I've learnt from this.

Thanks for reading / replying

Liz

huggableshelly
07-08-2009, 06:34 AM
we all learn from things that others say and do but dont take it to heart, parents must understand we are childminders for under 8's and we do not have to offer spaces to older children at all if we chose not too. My older mindees love playing with the younger children and their toys though i do have an old playstation with dance mats and a football table along with some older board games that are not played with very often due to the younger mindees being too young for them.

Good Luck with filling your spaces and work the fees so you are never out of pocket xxx