PDA

View Full Version : Enquiry for February!!!

Miriam
05-08-2009, 08:04 PM
Hi All

Have had a lovely enquiry from an obviously very organised mum who wants a space for her daughter 4 days a week from around 8.30 - 6.00 pm - absolutely perfect!!! The only problem is she doesnt want the space until Feb 2010!

I will definitely meet with her and would probably take her on as at the moment since I lost my full timer I have two vacancies so even if I fill one I would still have another one.

But my question is do I get her to pay some sort of deposit / retainer ???

If so what should I ask for?

Also what would I then do if I have agreed to have her and then someone else comes along looking for a full time vacancy for say two children? Is it best not to take her at all, but I dont want to pass up work even if it is for next year as there is very few children around at the mo and lots of childminders looking to fill their spaces around here.

Sorry, I am so inexperienced about this not sure what to do.

helenlc
05-08-2009, 08:54 PM
I would be tempted to say Snap her up and take a deposit (a months fees usually). As you say, although it seems a while til the start date, at least you know the work is coming.

But as you say, if a parent comes wanting spaces for siblings, then what do you do? You might turn them down and then the Feb start cancels.

I am a bit on the dubious side as I once had a mum who wanted her 2 children to come to me but start date was not for a few months. She couldnt afford a deposit or retainer so said she would take a chance I would have the places. She rang a couple of weeks before they were due to start and cancelled.:mad:

Sorry I am not much help:blush: Someone will be along who has been in the ame position and will be able to advise you better.

RainbowMum
05-08-2009, 09:23 PM
I've only been in this situation once - I took a £200 deposit with 50% refundable off first invoice - to compensate me for potential lost earnings. Parent was happy with this & they are now my nicest family:D Get them to sign contract and pay deposit - it is refunable if place is no longer available so if a totally perfect - totally lovely family came along you have a get out clause (as long as you have the deposit still to give back!) I thonk a parent who has the forsight to arrange childcare 6-7 months ahead is prob a goodun!

singlewiththree
06-08-2009, 06:14 AM
I took a family on in Feb who want a space this Nov. They paid only a weeks deposit as my DD starts school in Sept so in theory this space is only available from then and they are starting settling in from the end of Sept with paid sessions, I'm also having the older sibling before and after school and she wants to start this during the settling in period for the baby :) They are so far a lovely family, I have met them at school settling in periods as the 4yr old is starting the same reception class with my DD and she has kept in touch so I agree I would take the child on then at least you have a child coming in the future.

Daftbat
06-08-2009, 06:35 AM
Go for it. Take a deposit and if something else comes along in between then you can use the place until Febraury anyway and if you decide another contract is going to be better you can give the deposit back - win/win:)