PDA

View Full Version : term time only

Helen79
04-08-2009, 09:22 AM
In Sept I've got a new baby starting. Mums a teacher so only needs term time.

I thought about charging 1/2 fee in the holidays but don't really want to as I won't be working so will feel bad about being paid.
I don't get any holiday only contracts so will be loosing a big chunk of my wages during the holidays.

Should I work out what they'd be paying over the 39 weeks & ask them to pay me every week even through the holidays or just not get paid in the holidays?

Should I take a retainer for the next term aswell if I don't charge for their holidays?

Hope that makes sense.

Toothfairy
04-08-2009, 09:31 AM
I have 2 teachers on my books who use me for term time only.
I charge 1/2 fees during the holidays as I am holding their space open for them ready for the next term.

I add up all the term time full fees, the holiday half fees, I then deduct my holidays, then divide the total by 12. This way I get paid the same amount each month regardless.

Hope that helps :thumbsup:

Polly2
04-08-2009, 09:44 AM
I charge half fees in the holidays for teachers but then I am available for work and they use me occasionally.

I wouldn't charge if I was taking the holidays as my own holiday. But thats just me:)

Rasharoon
04-08-2009, 09:50 AM
I charge half fees in the holidays for teachers but then I am available for work and they use me occasionally.

I wouldn't charge if I was taking the holidays as my own holiday.

I'm the same. If I wasn't prepared to work at all during school holidays, then I wouldn't charge.

Demonjill
04-08-2009, 09:56 AM
I would say if you are prepared to work in the holidays then you can charge half rate ( this would be full rate if they did use you for occasional days) but if you are not working then you shouldnt really charge.
Talk it over with them though it may be that she will pay anyway!

Chatterbox Childcare
04-08-2009, 10:17 AM
Under my contracts I am entitled to 2 weeks pay per year. If I wasn't charging a retainer I charge for 39 weeks term time plus 2 weeks holiday.

Cost x 41 weeks divided by 12. That way both parties get a set monthly amount.

The Juggler
04-08-2009, 02:32 PM
I don't charge a retainer for the holidays but work out the annual fee for 39 weeks then divide by 11. I don't get paid in August.

jeanybeany
04-08-2009, 04:15 PM
I don't charge for the holidays (because I am too soft) no really I am lucky in having a variation, so the money is extra at the moment, but next year it won't be and now I think I have dropped a boo boo. It's the same with the before/after schoolies they don't pay any retainers, so I am out of pocket in the hols. Even if they do a day, it means I only earn a little bit more. Will be more aware next time and assertive.

I would charge 1/2 fees for the holidays.:D Start as you mean to go on, don't make my mistake.:D

LittleMissSparkles
04-08-2009, 04:20 PM
I don't charge for the holidays (because I am too soft) no really I am lucky in having a variation, so the money is extra at the moment, but next year it won't be and now I think I have dropped a boo boo. It's the same with the before/after schoolies they don't pay any retainers, so I am out of pocket in the hols. Even if they do a day, it means I only earn a little bit more. Will be more aware next time and assertive.

I would charge 1/2 fees for the holidays.:D Start as you mean to go on, don't make my mistake.:D

I would impliment the new fee's for new contracts that start from now on and give all other parents a letter saying that as from ( whenever you think ) a retainer fee will be charged during school holidays to secure their child care place etc etc etc .....

xxx

littletreasures
04-08-2009, 04:37 PM
I don't work during the school holidays, more by luck than my not wishing to.

My mindees parent's are teachers or they have a lot of holiday between them, so they don't need me.

I charge half fee for keeping the place for them. They are able to send the kids to me if the want, but luckily for me they don't.

Ripeberry
04-08-2009, 04:55 PM
I'm term-time only. I'm not working bank holidays or any holidays, but i will make an exception for settling-in any new starters ready for September.
I don't charge retainers for holidays as i will normally not work them anyway.
Maybe once my husband sees how much money i can bring in, then i might work some holidays, but around here it is not worth offering holiday care for children older than 4yrs old as i'm surrounded by holiday clubs basically charging only £2.90 an hour and Leisure centers only charging £2.45 an hour.

madasahatter
04-08-2009, 05:12 PM
I don't charge my teachers a retainer during the hols. Mainly this is because I provide holiday care for several school age children which replaces the income I lose from the teachers. Also I do know that if I charged them they would want to send their children which would be fine if I didn't have the extra schoolies......so by not charging I keep the number of holiday children down to what I consider a manageable number for me.
However if I was in your position I would probably need to charge a retainer but I would be tempted to say that should you manage to take on children to fill the holiday spaces then you will stop charging.

nannymcflea
04-08-2009, 07:23 PM
I don't charge my teachers a retainer during the hols. Mainly this is because I provide holiday care for several school age children which replaces the income I lose from the teachers. Also I do know that if I charged them they would want to send their children which would be fine if I didn't have the extra schoolies......so by not charging I keep the number of holiday children down to what I consider a manageable number for me.
However if I was in your position I would probably need to charge a retainer but I would be tempted to say that should you manage to take on children to fill the holiday spaces then you will stop charging.

Same for me, I don't charge a retainer for term timers either, having 2 of my own i like to keep my holiday kids to a minimum.

nokidshere
06-08-2009, 08:30 AM
I charge 39 weeks full money, 11 weeks half money and 2 weeks no charge. I add it all together and divide by 12.

Had no problems with it at all :)

FussyElmo
06-08-2009, 08:56 AM
To be honest I charge half fees in the holidays to keep the space open for them when they need me again.

Otherwise they take the risk of be filling the place to make money.

The holiday child I have is in a different age range so isnt taking my mindee place so no I dont reduce the half fees as if she came in the term time I wouldnt reduce my fees. Even if she was I wouldnt reduce the half fees because her place will be available when she needs it.

Spangles
06-08-2009, 09:54 AM
Sorry I've not had time to read the other replies only your initial question.

I wouldn't charge for school holidays at all because the parent only wants term time so I would do only a term time contract. I feel that it would be up to me to find work during the hols not for the parent to pay me for time that they have already said they don't need, if you see what I mean.

I wouldn't charge someone a full week if they only wanted a few hours or days so I don't see why I would charge for school holidays - unless they wanted to keep them open as an option - that would be different.

That's just me though.

Mollymop
06-08-2009, 12:00 PM
Sorry I've not had time to read the other replies only your initial question.

I wouldn't charge for school holidays at all because the parent only wants term time so I would do only a term time contract. I feel that it would be up to me to find work during the hols not for the parent to pay me for time that they have already said they don't need, if you see what I mean.

I wouldn't charge someone a full week if they only wanted a few hours or days so I don't see why I would charge for school holidays - unless they wanted to keep them open as an option - that would be different.

That's just me though.

I agree here with what Spangles is saying. I have 3 term tie only children and I only charge term time. The parents don't work in the school hols so I find it owuld be unfair to ask for half of their normal payment.

Chimps Childminding
06-08-2009, 06:51 PM
I have a parent who is a lecturer at college and so doesn't need me for some of the holidays. At the initial meeting this was discussed and they asked about paying. I told them that as they needed me to keep the space open through the hols (plus the baby was under 1 so was taking up my only under 1 space) I would require half fees. The parents were fine about this and I have explained that if they need me to have lo at all during the hols it is not a problem as her space is available!:thumbsup:

Deb
06-08-2009, 09:26 PM
I charge 39 weeks full money, 11 weeks half money and 2 weeks no charge. I add it all together and divide by 12.

Had no problems with it at all :)

I do the same as this.