PDA

View Full Version : parents that go to college

Blackhorse
03-08-2009, 12:03 PM
just wondering how it works if the college pays for childcare

do they pay 100%?
do they tell you how much you can charge? or as long as you are about average in your area will it be ok?
or are they all different anyways?
do they pay in advance or arrears? or whatever the contract between you and the mum says??

I have one starting in september where mum goes to college and I want to be a bit prepared for what she will have to say

also had another enquiry last night about a mum that is going back to college...

any information you can give would be greately appreciated!!

RachelE
03-08-2009, 12:14 PM
I think every college is different.
I think they need to approach the college and provide you with the information.

I have a mum who is at college. She was 19 when she started the course, and will have the full 2 year course childcare paid for. Its for teen Mums, but they dont have to remain a teen Mum to have it paid for.

Just thought I'd mention in case any of them are teen mums.
Its through Care2Learn.

Hopefully someone more usefu will come along! :)

Blackhorse
03-08-2009, 12:19 PM
does this apply in scotland as well?

RachelE
03-08-2009, 12:27 PM
Just had a look at their website.

It mentions Wales, but not Scotland, so I assume not.

Thats a shame!

There may be a similar scheme for Scotland though?

Jellytotzjulia
03-08-2009, 12:40 PM
Hi,
I've just been caring for 2 siblings after school who's mum had returned to college, college payed for both children in full each months, I had to fill a form on the hours i'd worked & send it off every 3rd week & it went straight into my bank, worked really well as mum never felt it at all on her finances. Mum goes back to college in sept & college have said they'll continue then.:clapping:

Thats in england, Lancashire so not sure if different for other areas.

julia

Blackhorse
03-08-2009, 12:48 PM
I would like to get paid directly from the college I think...
especially after having read some of the issues on payments..

but I guess I will just have to find the details out from the mums...

just dont want to make them think I dont know anything...:panic:

Lady Haha
03-08-2009, 03:20 PM
Before I became a childminder I did a college course and had to claim for childcare for my son.

The way they did it with me was just awful!!! They paid in arrears and the nursery had to wait til the end of October for their money, but were never told what was going on by the college, just had to take my word for it, which put me in a really awkward position. I hated turning up every day with my son knowing his care hadn't been paid for.

Hopefully, the way payments are made now may have changed!

But the other thing to watch out for is colleges don't like paying for childcare during term holidays. They refused to pay for my son's care as I wasn't going to be in college those days.

Again, things might be different, but definately worth checking up on!

her8y
03-08-2009, 05:28 PM
My mindees mum is at uni (slightly different I know). Uni pays her then she pays me.

I had to fill in a form to start with quoting my fee per hour and total per week and whether I would charge during uni holidays (which I do).

Every now and then they send me a form to complete confirming mindee still with me and fees I charge etc.

It was a bit of a juggling act to start with and she paid me weekly out of her own pocket so to speak till money came through now pays me half termly in advance.

Alibali
03-08-2009, 05:42 PM
Think it depends on the course, I have one mum at college and she gets paid a bursary which includes a childcare element and then she pays me directly.

peanuts
03-08-2009, 06:14 PM
ive got one starting beg sept that college is paying for childcare. i had to fill in bank details and how much per week.