PDA

View Full Version : Fencing off part of the garden

LaylaB
02-08-2009, 07:44 PM
We've gone round in circles a billion times about what we should do about our garden as it is a large garden but the end is mid-process really and we have a greenhouse. Im thinking the easiest (or quickest) way is just to fence off the bottom half with picket type fencing for the time being.
Has anyone else fenced off part of their garden? Would picket type fencing be ok? The only worry I have is that they will say that it doesn't really hold in older children and so on
Also, if (say in a year or two) i had finished all the garden and wanted to open it all for the childminding would i then have to call ofsted back out?
Thank-you :)

sweets
02-08-2009, 08:01 PM
picket fencing would be fine i'm sure! as long as ts secure. don't forget that if you are buying it because of minding then you can put it through your books!

Ripeberry
02-08-2009, 09:03 PM
I've fenced off half my garden as i've got a pond (has a cover) and a veg patch and open water butts.
I've just used wooden fence posts and plastic fencing in between. Ofsted was happy with it at pre-reg.
I did not want to use picket fence as it would encourage kids to climb over it.
Also i wanted something that was cheap enough to replace if it got broken.
And when i don't need the fence anymore i don't end up with loads of picket panels that need to be got rid of.

Mouse
02-08-2009, 09:50 PM
Three or four years ago I fenced of part of my garden as the path was a bit dodgy. I used that plastic coated chicken wire type stuff & Ofsted were happy with that.

At my last inspection in March I had the kiddies' play area fenced of with a low plastic picket fence type thing. It was only a foot high & the children could actually have stepped over it, but I showed that they'd been taught not to & that I supervised them at all time (only up to 3 year olds). Ofsted were more than happy with it, though I now have a 4ft fence up.

I think as long as you can show it's effective & works for you, then it'll be OK.

mummyroysof3
03-08-2009, 06:19 AM
[QUOTE=Mouse;489256]Three or four years ago I fenced of part of my garden as the path was a bit dodgy. I used that plastic coated chicken wire type stuff & Ofsted were happy with that.

QUOTE]

this is what we was thinking of using but wasnt sure what ofsted would say, how high is it?

charlotte x

lnmrobbo
03-08-2009, 07:16 AM
Does it really need fencing off?
when we had our pre reg inspection, we had no separete fenced area for our 2 dogs, but told the inspector we were thinking about doing it, she said it would be fine anyway, without sectioning it off, the children would of course be supervised outside with the dogs and that was ok but she said she thought it was good that we had thought about it and had a plan in place in case it didnt work (the children and dogs being together).
Maybe you could wait until your inspector comes,let them know what your plans are and see if it's actually necessary.
The other thing is, is it just the greenhouse you are wanting to fence off? Couldnt you show that you will be letting the children see what is growing in the greenhouse? Just a thought...

Lisa

LaylaB
03-08-2009, 12:58 PM
Thank-you for all your replies :) the plastic covered wire is a good idea...i hadn't thought of that...i think my husband would prefer it somehow too :clapping: , also, i think i'll do what was suggested and wait till ofsted come and tell them thats what im planning and see what they say.

I was worried about the greenhouse from the point of view of having to put safety film or whatever all over the glass which would be a major work up. The rest of the back is sort of ok...but we do have stinging nettles continuously sprouting up there and that sort of thing, again thinking along the lines of poisonous plants and all that kind of thing?

Ah its all very stressful!