PDA

View Full Version : not sticking to the contract

linzi1981
30-07-2009, 06:57 PM
hi everybody im new to the site so hello and hope you can help!!
ive only just started looking after a baby full time.ive done the contract with the parents and everything was fine at first,BUT i now feel that they are taking advantage of my good nature.ie late payment and asking for a lower rate,which isnt very much to begin with as you well know!!
Then last week the parents said that they wouldnt need me on friday thus only paying me for 4 days,and now the bombshell,they have decided that the father is taking a weeks holiday and will not need me for the week.i feel and know this cannot be right but how do i handle the situation?
This is my livelyhood and depend on this income!please can u advise me as when i confront the parents i have all the answers and info at my disposal.
many thanks Lyndsay

sarah707
30-07-2009, 07:33 PM
Hello and welcome to the forum! :D

It totally depends on what it says in the contract you signed with the parents.

If it says you get paid when the child is off, then you need to point that out and bill for your money.

If it says you don't get paid then you can't ask for anything.

Go back to the contract and check the small print.

I hope you get it all sorted :D

Tatjana
31-07-2009, 07:35 PM
Hi and welcome on board!

As Sarah suggested look at your contract, have you agreed to full payment for childs absence?

xx

The Juggler
01-08-2009, 07:14 AM
Hi Lydsay. How did you get on. What did your contract say? Stick to your guns if your contract says full fee in absence. Also if they want lower rate tell them that's not what you signed for.

I terminated a contract one week in, due to parents wanting to cut 10 hours per week and wanting not to pay for it. I worked 4 weeks notice but after that I felt I could not work with the parents I figured it was a bad omen as I'd already had one really awful experience.

Ruth Saxelbye
01-08-2009, 06:49 PM
You must 'start as you mean to go on' as they say. Money is the worst thing about childminding, but stick to your contract and be firm. I always get a months payment in advance, it saves you being out of pocket.

deeb66
01-08-2009, 07:01 PM
Did you get it sorted out?

How did you get on?

Dee

ZoeAlli
01-08-2009, 11:06 PM
You must 'start as you mean to go on' as they say. Money is the worst thing about childminding, but stick to your contract and be firm. I always get a months payment in advance, it saves you being out of pocket.

I agree. Have been taken for a ride once too often and now am learning from it!!
Read through your contract and see what you have agreed to. Not only do I get paid in advance, I also ask for four weeks written notice to any change with hours, termination of the contract- this means that if a parent does not give me this but wants to take holiday, I am not out of pocket!!
Hope you get it sorted and learn from it. Get tough! there are a lot of people out there who will try it on, but there are also those who respect what you offer!! :(

linzi1981
02-08-2009, 08:30 PM
hi everybody
thanks for your comments and replies.i have looked at my contract and it says i should get paid when the child is off!I feel im being taken for a ride.i am going to see the parents tomorrow and its time to get tough.ive got myself into this situation because of my soft nature and dont like to upset people.
Zoealli has the right idea and i will be implementing a couple of things into my contracts from now on.so thank you all and i will let u know how i get on,fingers crossed they will see sense!
lyndsay.xx