PDA

View Full Version : enquiry for Aug 2010

applesmum
29-07-2009, 05:47 PM
Hi All

I've just had an enquiry for August 2010 :clapping: which I'm over the moon about howevr I'm not quite sure what to do re deposit etc should they wish to go ahead.

I usually take one months payments as a deposit which I hold until they end their contract - it then pays their final month invoice.
I currently have 3 days vacant so will only beable to fill those spaces on a temp basis (until Augst 2010) - do you usually take a retainer to keep the space vacant for them or have you filled the space in the meantime on a temp contract - I'm not sure a parent would sign up knowing that it was only going to be for a limited time?

Any advice would be welcomed.

Jo x

LittleAcorns
29-07-2009, 05:58 PM
wow!! good for you, but its a long time to keep the space open...if she decides to go ahead, I would say to her that I couldnt guarentee anything, if someone else came along wanting the space I would contact her and discuss retainer, that way you are not tied down to anything......if then it gets to say, May 2010 I would then charge a deposit or retainer and get the ball rolling....contracts etc....:thumbsup:

Minstrel
29-07-2009, 06:02 PM
Is it for a baby that hasn't been born yet?

I have had an enquiry for MAY 2010 and baby isn't due till Sept this year. We are going to meet up in Oct and stay in touch so baby knows me and when he comes to me at 8 months hopefully it will go smoothly.

You probably know but remember you can't take any money/sign contracts for an unborn baby.

Well done :thumbsup:

KatyDix
29-07-2009, 06:19 PM
Hi
I was messed around by a couple of people and wish I'd charged them a retainer.
I was appracohed by the mum of the little boy I look after now in February but she wasn't going back to work until July. I was beside myself about what to do, I really wanted to charge a retainer but felt bad about asking for it and was worried about what the mum would think / whether she'd want to do it. In the end I said if she wanted me to guarantee the place she would need to pay 30% of the normal contracted hours from signing contracts to starting properly but that I would be available to look after him, if she wanted me to in that time. Or, she could not pay the retainer but if she decided not to pay it I couldn't guarantee the place, come July if I had a vacancy fine, if not she'd have to look elsewhaere.
The mum was happy to pay it. She had piece of mind and it ment we could start getting to know each other a few hours a day and slowly build our way up to a full day then full week. Also, after signing contracts I seemed to be inundated with enquries so it was a good job she did!
Sorry for the long reply but I hope my experience helps!

margimum
29-07-2009, 06:25 PM
One of the lo's I have now was only a first scan photo when mum came asking me to keep a place for her:)
Of course nothing was signed for a while! She's now almost 3.

Celtic Star
29-07-2009, 07:37 PM
I'm the same had a couple come to see me last week about a place for Aug 2010. I told her to give me a call when the baby is born and we could discuss it in more detail in terms of retainer etc.

FussyElmo
29-07-2009, 08:03 PM
I haqve held a place for an unborn baby. Mum was five months when she came to see me and I had mindee from 6 months shes now 2 and an half.

I didnt take a retainer but we meet regularly so I knew that she would come:)

Playmate
29-07-2009, 08:46 PM
Gosh, August ! We have just agreed to take on an unborn child (due Aug/Sep)in January. fortunately for us one of ours starts full time school in jan so effectively we are not keeping a place open, just filling a space as it becomes available :clapping: