PDA

View Full Version : ofsted and themes

It's a small world
29-07-2009, 12:29 PM
hi

Just been reading about how Ofsted don't go for themes anymore.. So would I be right in saying that I could say use a topic of say seasons ie: summmer and incorportate. nature, weather. festivals etc

got to have some sort of topic theme to go on don't you other wise everything would be all over the place -- i like to be organinsed

Bex1
29-07-2009, 12:48 PM
Hi, not sure I can help because I am baffled by it all! I get different views and opinions from whoever i speak too!

I did do planning such as monthly themes like 'all about me' etc and spoke to another cm who said "yes thats how you should be doing it" then went on an 'obs,ass and planning' course and was told flatly "Ofsted do not want you to do themes" and I was with ladies from Nurseries, day care and pre-schools all of whom said, we use to do themes but now we dont!

I only have little ones, all under 2 (on different days I would add :blush: ) so I have tried themes and they are not interested, they simply want to play! I know that they have stronger interests in some things like one likes tractors etc so I am just going to plan the month ahead to do activities around his like of tractors! If the Ofsted Inspector tells me I am wrong then I will ask how I should be doing it because right now my head is fuzzy and I dont know what is right or wrong :panic:

HomefromHome
29-07-2009, 12:57 PM
this was on another post too - this is what i put there....

this is driving me mad because i think it's quite hard especially for an under 3 to have specific interests!!!!!! (that's not to say some dont by the way!!) if that was the case then both my mindees would be doing dollies/kitchens for the whole time!!!! (i put out different resources every other week but it always reverts back!) i disagree that monthly themes are 'bad' - surely your introducing them to new things could spark interest and certainly provide new learning!!! this is where i still think that ofsted and the other powers that be should have come up with a standard that all minders could work to and with when it comes to eyfs - the same journals/diaries/etc etc - tbh i wouldnt be where i am now if it wasnt for sarah707 and her e-books!!!!! and i still dont get 100% but i am doing what i THINK is gonna be ok with ofsted!!! grrrrrrr
>>jumping off soapbox<<

sarah707
29-07-2009, 01:27 PM
When I was trained many years ago, I learned how wonderful it can be to take a child's interest in something and extend it ...

However, I was also taught that if a child doesn't have many interests he will miss so much that is going on around him.

How do you plan for a child's interests when you don't get feedback?

The answer is that you can plan a range of activities you know will interest and excite the child to learn and extend his knowledge.

You can call these what you like... themes, topics, child-friendly focus activities... it really doesn't matter!

What you are doing is using a child's natural enthusiasm for learning, sprinkling in a liberal dose of multiculturalism and diversity and presenting exciting learning opportunities for children of all ages, which are relevant to their development needs.

The day that becomes the wrong thing to do I will go stacking shelves at Tesco :D

HomefromHome
29-07-2009, 01:32 PM
:censored: well put! am gonna write that down somewhere!!!!!!

Cammie Doodle
29-07-2009, 02:33 PM
Well said Sarah, I do have themes, topic etc as a starting point and let the children lead me ie our "Topic" was colours, but one little lad wanted cars so thats what he played with, but I asked if he could group the red ones together , then the blue ones and so on, he then went onto count and size order them so we covered colours numbers sizing , encourage chatting so all in all we covered lots of areas .:thumbsup:

LisaMcNally09
29-07-2009, 02:44 PM
Well i have had my pre reg inspection today and the nice Ofsted lady (still my best mate for saying yes!! haha) told me topics were the best way to do planning.

I said i would have a fortnightly topic, that could be a festival or weather or colours or holidays etc....i would then branch out into activities to do with this topic...i then went on to say that i would make sure i covered the 6 areas of learning in these activities.

She said that was a really good way of doing it?!?!?!

It's a small world
29-07-2009, 03:09 PM
When I was trained many years ago, I learned how wonderful it can be to take a child's interest in something and extend it ...

However, I was also taught that if a child doesn't have many interests he will miss so much that is going on around him.

The answer is that you can plan a range of activities you know will interest and excite the child to learn and extend his knowledge.

You can call these what you like... themes, topics, child-friendly focus activities... it really doesn't matter!

What you are doing is using a child's natural enthusiasm for learning, sprinkling in a liberal dose of multiculturalism and diversity and presenting exciting learning opportunities for children of all ages, which are relevant to their development needs.

The day that becomes the wrong thing to do I will go stacking shelves at Tesco :D

Thanks Sarah

So in brief I have a young boy who is 2.5 and has been on a farm more or less 5 out of 7 days (he's with me 2 days a week now) Its his grandparents farm and so all he is interested is farms tractors etc basically being outside.

I have tried different things but only interested in farms. The other day I bought some brass (plastic) rubbings of farm objects for him to rub over. He seemed to enjoy this for a short time(not very into caft / arty things so it was a good breaking point. And I have some farm books. I have decided to take him away from this to further develop him but try and keep on the lines of things that he enjoys and thought an outing would be good. Therefore we are going to the woods for a walk looking at mini beats and nature.
For the EYFS I thought:

KUW - Learning about mini beasts and trees/leaves finding different types have a sheet showing outline of different types of leaves.
PD - Walking around the woods , climbing tree trunks (risk assessment !!)
PSRN - Mini Beast bingo / checklist
CD - When we go home will do a collage of the leaves we picked and stick pictures out of magazines
CLL - Talk about what we saw and did

Then I can plan from this what we do next to keep a 'theme' going like homes - where creatures/animals - farm animals / people live then about us - parts of the body clothes to wear in different weathers -then different weathers for different countries / animals from different countries

Is this right. Of course we will keep doing things that he really enjoys. I have a zoo/farm set and lots of tractors that he can keep playing with and when we get the duplo out we are always building barns for the tractors so we won't ever stay clear of his favourite things. And he enjoys going out so have lots of time in the park and garden (weather permitting) Sometimes this is hard as parent always sends him in shorts (potty training says its easier to wash and dry ??)and crocs (with no strap as cut them off and I am very wary he will fall and hurt himself as runs everywhere) plus short are not always good in the rain - have suggested more suitable clothes so see what he comes with tomorrow.

Sorry gone on abit and covered numerous things...:blush:

It's a small world
29-07-2009, 03:11 PM

Forgot to say . Hopefully it won't come to Tescos . Although I did work for ASDA for 6 years in my hayday and enjoyed it . Currently working as a waitress 3-4 nights a week until more children come my way... at least I get some tips with that lol :laughing:

It's a small world
29-07-2009, 03:12 PM
Well said Sarah, I do have themes, topic etc as a starting point and let the children lead me ie our "Topic" was colours, but one little lad wanted cars so thats what he played with, but I asked if he could group the red ones together , then the blue ones and so on, he then went onto count and size order them so we covered colours numbers sizing , encourage chatting so all in all we covered lots of areas .:thumbsup:

Thats a good way of doing things... so glad I posted this :clapping:

HomefromHome
29-07-2009, 03:51 PM
Thats a good way of doing things... so glad I posted this :clapping:

yes i agree - perhaps its the way we word things that ofsted disapprove of more!!! i might put wording like that in my 'planning' folder!!!

Star
29-07-2009, 04:18 PM
Yes, nice way to word it. I get there in the end but it takes me ages to word something as well as that. I always make sense to me, but wonder if I do to others!!!!!

:blush:

sweets
29-07-2009, 04:30 PM
I think if you want to go with planning themes and it works for you then go for it! i personally don't and it works for me, but what i think people need to know(especcialy newbies) is that you don't HAVE to have written long term plans with themes on for ofsted. I personally don't bow down to what the mighty ofsted want and don't want. i do the minimum paperwork and really enjoy my job and have recently become accredited. going about it in a relaxed way. We all do our paperwork different and thats good. some people do loads of detailed obs, some do photo ones just now and again, but i think it worries new minders and those with upcoming inspections to have to all these plans and paperwork and its good for them to know that they won't be marked down if they don't have themes and long term plans.:)

sarah707
29-07-2009, 04:41 PM
Well said Sweets! Absolutely right... it's about what works for you :D

Star
29-07-2009, 04:47 PM
Yep, I agree we must all do what works for us. I don't do themed planning either, I do individual planning around each childs interests and needs. I try to keep paperwork manageable for me and although I thought I wouldn't get it again, I recently got outstanding again. I know from looking on here lots of people are doing far me paperwork than me for planning. The key is evidencing you know the children in your care and how to provide for them in their daily routine and play, then how provide achievable next steps. All the paperwork in the world will not gain you an improved inspection if the inspector can not see this. Some times planning can become too comlicated and miss the point - the children. Hope I'm making sense!! I know what I mean! Hard to write it down when rushing between here and tea! No children present, don't worry! I don't go on forum when children are here.

:thumbsup:

It's a small world
30-07-2009, 08:00 AM
Me again.

So if I go to the woods one week do obs on that then if we go to a playgroup th next do obs on them and week after go food shopping do obs on them...no theme connnected here but just link eyfs and this should be ok?

Do we need to do obs every week or every month????

I think sweetes is right all us newbies worry if we are doing it right and how Ofsted will grade us so do loads of paperwork which is most likely irrelevant...

We just want to be as good as all you professionals lol

We will keep bugging you for advice as we go along. I will try not to do themes just topics as my 2 are under3 and only interested in playing so will do different activities not linked in any particular way and do obs on what we do. Will also do WOW moments . When they get older hopefully their interests will get more varied....:rolleyes:

sweets
30-07-2009, 08:28 AM
Me again.

So if I go to the woods one week do obs on that then if we go to a playgroup th next do obs on them and week after go food shopping do obs on them...no theme connnected here but just link eyfs and this should be ok?

Do we need to do obs every week or every month????

I think sweetes is right all us newbies worry if we are doing it right and how Ofsted will grade us so do loads of paperwork which is most likely irrelevant...

We just want to be as good as all you professionals lol

We will keep bugging you for advice as we go along. I will try not to do themes just topics as my 2 are under3 and only interested in playing so will do different activities not linked in any particular way and do obs on what we do. Will also do WOW moments . When they get older hopefully their interests will get more varied....:rolleyes:

hi what you said about your obs is fine, they don't have to be linked.I only do obs as and when, usually one a month sometimes two. i generally only do photo obs and on the back just link them to the main areas of eyfs they cover. you will find you can link most obs to all 6 areas but just choose 2 or 3 of the main ones. what you need to do though are next steps which can be just a sentence of how you will back it up e.g. if you have been to the woods then you could say you will do some leaf painting or you will look at bugs you have found. i do the minimum paperwork and don't get bogged down with it and i got a good at my recent inspection, i mentioned to my DO officer that should i have have done more paperwork to get an outstanding and she said absolutly not as inspectors are not just looking at that and i only got a good as it was my first inspection and my inspector is known for not given outstandings to newbies. Not that i am complaining as i am more than happy with my good rating and will be happy if i get it next time too.
JUst do your paperwork your way and as long as you have all the relevant policies, contracts,etc you will be fine.
Hope that helps:)

sarah707
31-07-2009, 09:11 AM
Here are Kerrie's observation sheets that she wants to share.

Kerrie says...

Thanks Sweets

Things seem so much clearer now..Just off to recycling to bin all my theme paperwork lol....

Going to cut my paperwork by half..good job we can recycle :laughing:

Thanks again. can I just show 2 ways to write obs are these ok ?

Thanks again

I think they are lovely - really colourful and will look nice hand written in the children's files :D

miffy
31-07-2009, 09:17 AM
Thanks for sharing your planning and obs sheets Kerrie - they look great

Miffy xx

sweets
31-07-2009, 11:27 AM
they are really good kerrie. If you want to cut down on writing even more then use the NCMA stickers for each area of develpment to link :)

Rubybubbles
31-07-2009, 11:50 AM
they look great kerrie, thanks for sharing:thumbsup:

It's a small world
31-07-2009, 12:25 PM
they are really good kerrie. If you want to cut down on writing even more then use the NCMA stickers for each area of develpment to link :)

good idea . good joib i purchased some..many have to buy more.
glad you like them. All my paperwork is based around these colours i think it makes it look interesting and hope it will make people want to read them rather than plain grey or black..sorry if anyone uses these colours. plus it makes all my ink colours run out at similar times lol:laughing:

FussyElmo
31-07-2009, 02:20 PM
They are fab sheets!!!! Wish I was that good on a computer to do stuff like them. I use colours when doing my planning but only can do in in text:)

It's a small world
31-07-2009, 03:01 PM
Please feel free to use my ideas I've used loads of others. If you want me to pm them I'm happy to share...

Thank you for all your kind comments ....Kx

sparkibobs
31-07-2009, 05:43 PM

I love this wording :clapping: :jump for joy:
xx

sorry not sure how to do the quote box :blush:

rainbowmummy
04-09-2009, 03:28 PM
I use themes/topics as a base for organsing a few weeks activities at a time. Its a bit slap dash really, I just look through the file (50x odd themes), deciding on which one to use by:-
what we haven't covered for a while
what fits in with the long term plan I have with birthdays and festivals
if a child needs to grasp a concept eg colours
Sometimes a theme only covers a week in the case of pirates or a full month if we are covering animals as there is so much to cover.

My planning sheets have lists of ideas on activities/things to do under each of the 6x areas of learning. I photocopy the master, then in the blank box at the bottom I can add in the details on any festivals/birthdays etc that can be included within the timeframe we will be covering that topic and also any individual planning for the children that is being covered on their individual planning sheets.

I've never heard that Ofsted aren't a fan of themes/topics and having only a few months ago competed one of the DHC units were we covered themes - It wasn't metioned then, I think I am not going to worry or change anything, yet! :(

SandCastles
17-09-2009, 10:02 PM
hi what you said about your obs is fine, they don't have to be linked.I only do obs as and when, usually one a month sometimes two. i generally only do photo obs and on the back just link them to the main areas of eyfs they cover. you will find you can link most obs to all 6 areas but just choose 2 or 3 of the main ones. what you need to do though are next steps which can be just a sentence of how you will back it up e.g. if you have been to the woods then you could say you will do some leaf painting or you will look at bugs you have found. i do the minimum paperwork and don't get bogged down with it and i got a good at my recent inspection, i mentioned to my DO officer that should i have have done more paperwork to get an outstanding and she said absolutly not as inspectors are not just looking at that and i only got a good as it was my first inspection and my inspector is known for not given outstandings to newbies. Not that i am complaining as i am more than happy with my good rating and will be happy if i get it next time too.
JUst do your paperwork your way and as long as you have all the relevant policies, contracts,etc you will be fine.
Hope that helps:)

Wow - I could have written this... it is exactly what happened to me, I did minimum paperwork, asked my DO as I started to panic, she reassured me that everything was OK and that my inspector never gives outstanding to newly registered anyway, and I also got a good!!

I wonder if this has happened to anyone else? spooky !

little daisies
18-09-2009, 06:07 AM
i was told when i had my last inspection (march 2009) that i didn`t have to do themes. i had to do individual plans for each child based on thier interests and build from there, so now i have to do 6 plans a week insted of 1:(

anneriddington
18-09-2009, 07:15 AM
I had my inspection this week and our current theme is ourselves currently looking at healthy eating last week and this week, Mrs O did grill me on why I was doing the theme and I supported it by the fact that one of my lo's had grown lots of veg for the first time in his garden ove the summer and I wanted to extend his learning about healthy and less healthy food. Also doing sneezesafe nxt week which she ask why and I pointed out that as lo had just started preschool I wanted to reaffirm aspects of personal hygiene, hand washing and using tissues when you sneeze as with the threat of swine flu etc - she said that was a very good idea - :D