PDA

View Full Version : retainer

PRINCESSDAISYFLOWER
28-07-2009, 05:50 PM
Hi guys
The auntie of an old mindee i use to have has just had a baby, i know here quite well and get on with her as she use to pick up her nephew.

Anyways she really wants me to have her baby (full time 5 days a week) as of january. Prob is i have a vacancy know and 6 months of full time care is worth £4500 to me.

I kinda said if she gave me £100 a month (£600) i would hold the place open for her. She isnt rich by any means and she is considering it. However my DH thinks im being stupid as the place is worth £4500 but as i said there is no guarentee i will fill that place any time soon and how important it is to have a good relationship with the parents

what u think!

Polly2
28-07-2009, 07:36 PM
I think you are doing the right thing...better the devil you know! And she could use this time as a settling in time and just have a few sessions which would be good for her and more money for you also. :thumbsup:

Minstrel
29-07-2009, 09:46 AM
I think that your right too.

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush...

or something like that!

Good luck!

twinkle3005
29-07-2009, 02:37 PM
You could not charge her a retainer but, if you get an enquiry to fill the place in between now and the time she would like to start then you could ring her and give her the choice of paying full fees for the place to keep it or say you have others interested and you can't afford to knock work back and you'll have to let the other interested party have the space. Does that make sense?

FussyElmo
29-07-2009, 03:21 PM
You could not charge her a retainer but, if you get an enquiry to fill the place in between now and the time she would like to start then you could ring her and give her the choice of paying full fees for the place to keep it or say you have others interested and you can't afford to knock work back and you'll have to let the other interested party have the space. Does that make sense?

Think I would this too. Then you are not limiting your options if someone does ring you:)

margimum
29-07-2009, 06:21 PM
I think it depends on how frequent enquiries are in your area and how many places you have to fill.
As it sounds like you will have a good relationship with this parent I think I would settle for a small retainer and hope for extra hours to increase. Let her know you are available for times when she wants to shop, or go to the gym etc.
If she is on mat leave from work she may be entitled to some wftc childcare element already. :)