PDA

View Full Version : Parents not wanting to pay

twinkle3005
27-07-2009, 09:27 AM
Sorry this is long

Last week my hubby had Swine flu so I made alternative arrangements to take the children out and use my Mums as a base for meals etc if needed. I rang NHS Direct and Ofsted and was told this was fine and to carry on as normal. Mindees Mum has asked why she has to pay full fees as she decided to keep mindee away. She said she'd rang her Doctor who said that the child shouldn't be in contact with anyone in our family. What would you do? Would you charge full fees?

Also another query. Same mindee's Mum doesn't need me over the school hols so I've charged half fees for her hols and half fees for 2 weeks for my hols. She's now said that she would like to give 4 weeks notice as she can't afford this. I've said that it will be 4 weeks full fees for notice period and now she's saying that as it's holidays including my 2 weeks she should only pay half. It was my understanding that period notice is full weeks fees not including holidays. Am I right?

Mickey Mouse Clubhouse
27-07-2009, 09:33 AM
Hi yes you are right notice period should not include holidays so really she should pay full fees but I have a feeling she is not going to be happy with that, but if she has signed the contracts stating that then she should pay really.

Regarding swine flu if you was still working and she didn't want to send the children then that is up to her but I would say full fees are still payable.

Good luck with this one.

Chatterbox Childcare
27-07-2009, 09:54 AM
:) You are right about the notice period and I would direct her to this information on the back of the NCMA contracts where all the data is (sorry not sure about MM)

As to swine flu I would speak to the Health Authority and take guidance from them as this is where the doctor should be getting his information and if you are still in the right ask where you can get this in writing.

Sounds like you need to look for new mindee

wendywu
27-07-2009, 12:35 PM
I dont charge anything for my holidays.:)

Curly Quavers
27-07-2009, 12:43 PM
Your service was available and she decided not to use it. She needs to pay.

Winnie
27-07-2009, 12:49 PM
I'm sorry but the guidence i have states
.If you or anyone else in your household feel unwell with flu symptoms you should:
. ■Not look after other people’s children and take sensible precautions for the care of any children of your own

http://www.teachernet.gov.uk/docbank/index.cfm?id=13525

The Juggler
27-07-2009, 01:10 PM
if she wants to give notice this can't include any holiday. So she needs to either pay you 4 weeks full pay plus her 2 half pay weeks or she could just pay full pay for 4.

That's her option.

sorry to hear about this. The guidance is so unclear on minders carrying on with sick family members. Everyone seems to be being directed to a 2006 guidance paper which does say we shouldn't work but none of the LA's are being very decisive about it.

tashaleee
27-07-2009, 03:28 PM
Sorry you are having problems with you parent...

The swine flu one is a bit more tricky.... From the way I read your post technically you were not working from your home but your mums (dont know where children were dropped off/picked up from) - which is not a registered premises. I am guessing your parent will be looking for any excuse not to pay you and may think of this one on their own. Personally I have a swine flu policy which all my parents have a copy of - which would cover your situation.

For the holidays you are totally right and if you use a NCMA contract it should state it on there so I would refer the parent to the clause.

Hate to say it but I think you will probably have problems getting any money out of the parent, particularly if they pay in arrears. Unfortunately Im having a similar problem - god knows why people think they can pay you but only when they want to :angry: