PDA

View Full Version : ideas...lack of :(

Bex1
26-07-2009, 06:10 PM
I have two one year olds who are not into any activities..i have tried painting, treasure baskets, sensory bottles, music time etc but they stay for a few mins and then get up and go off to play! Basically they just want to play! I am not sure what to do!

Help me please!

tammerisk
26-07-2009, 06:24 PM
then just let them play. so long as the toys they are playing with are benifiting them they are happy and they are learning something they are fine

avril
26-07-2009, 06:24 PM
I've just answered your previous thread but suggested painting, messy play etc .. :laughing:

I didn't think we had to plan that much for younger ones but they are interested in play just provide a wide range of play opportunities, different imaginary/role play, fisher price my little people or elc own version etc...

Don't forget outdoor play - parks etc...

Bex1
26-07-2009, 06:34 PM
Thanks guys, to be honest if I was asked why I dont plan many activities for these children I would be honest enough to say that they just want to play! I surely cant be frowned upon for not making them sit and do an activity especially when they are only 12 months and 18 mths respectively!

My house is not very big so my toys are in those baskets that are plastic and bendy! so I have role play in one, cars, tractors, small world in another, puzzles in another, books in a ladybird book tub so they can walk over and get books out and on a plastic table I keep paper and crayons should they want to do some drawing at their own time!

I just want them to play, I think they learn through play, they learn to play with each other and the parents are all happy with my service...please tell me I am doing ok as I really worry when I hear about other settings and all the wonderful activities and themse they do! I tried themes but stopped because they are not older enough to understand and as I said earlier just want to play!!!!!!!

sarah707
26-07-2009, 06:41 PM
Your planning should show the kinds of play you encourage them to access to meet their individual needs and learning styles.

So if one of the children has a trajectory (throwing) schema, how would you manage this and provide resources for him?

If a child wants to wrap dollies, what do you supply? You might give him presents to wrap, blankets for the dolls etc...

That is planning and you do it every day.

Write it down and you are complying with the Eyfs for the ages and stages of the children in your care.

Yes it really is that simple!! :D

Bex1
26-07-2009, 06:48 PM
Thank you Sarah. My planning sheet has all the toys I have available and are put into the 6 areas of learning that they fit into! I show outside and indoor toys and evaluate at the end of the day on the sheet i.e what they liked and what we didnt use (i.e. rained constantly all day so unable to get into garden to use slide, water tray etc). The children like the same thing as I think this is a comfort thing because they are only with me one day a week so the little boy loves cars, tractors and will play all day with this and I have tried to encourage other play but he simply wants to play with tractors and cars!

Becky

claireodon
26-07-2009, 09:02 PM
Not wishing to pretend I know what I'm talking about as I haven't started minding yet ;) but if the boy likes cars and tractors why not let that be the starting point for planning activities for him e.g. painting using toy cars, draw a pic of a car and get the children to stick things on to decorate it, make a big model of a tractor for the children to play in, trip to the farm. I'm sure there are loads more ideas but I've run out now :blush:

Chell
27-07-2009, 03:20 PM
Don't forget outdoor play - parks etc...
My DD is nearly one, she loves being on the swings on my knee or sat in the baby swings.

She loves birds and animals so we feed the ducks at the lake (and in the garden). She also likes to visit Pets at Home to see the rabbits, guinea pigs and fish. She does baby signing, she uses the signs for birds, fish and dog.

Her older sister has a little CD player, she enjoys listening to this and copying her sister dancing or being carried while we have a boogie. :laughing: