PDA

View Full Version : observations

lisa_vickers
24-07-2009, 02:32 PM
just a quick question how often dose ofsted like you to do your obs my sister works in a nursery and she said they have to do 1 a month is it the same?

sarah707
24-07-2009, 03:19 PM
We are working with just a few children every day and we will spot them doing lots of new things on a regular basis.

It's part of our job to watch these new, exciting things and to listen to the children and follow their interests with games and activities we know they will enjoy.

We do this far more than once a month! So long as you make regular notes and show you are promoting the child's learning and development, it does not matter whether it is once a day or once a week :D

childminder54
24-07-2009, 04:07 PM
Hi I had my inspection 3 weeks ago and she was fine with me doing one a month and I GOT GOOD..

VERONICAX

hello kitty
24-07-2009, 07:57 PM
I think Ofsted also like to see a variety of observation techniques ie WOW moments, photos, narrative observations, summative observations,time sample observations etc.

I recently did a time sample obs for the first time last week and found it really interesting. It revealed just how often one of my littlies would come back to me for reassurance. Also noting any conversation and recording exactly how they express themselves is lovely for the parents to read later.

Can you tell I am covering observations atm?!? ;)

Heaven Scent
24-07-2009, 11:56 PM
We are working with just a few children every day and we will spot them doing lots of new things on a regular basis.

It's part of our job to watch these new, exciting things and to listen to the children and follow their interests with games and activities we know they will enjoy.

We do this far more than once a month! So long as you make regular notes and show you are promoting the child's learning and development, it does not matter whether it is once a day or once a week :D

I was thinking that in he interest of the plant and being green and all that - I'd keep it to once a year!!! :idea: :idea:

As I always say ofsted inspections are very subjective and it depends on each individual inspector and what they like to see - we cant win - we can only guess and hope our best is good enough.

huggableshelly
25-07-2009, 05:28 AM
Sometimes i'll write up or capture moments on the camera adding notes daily depending on what is happening with the child, sometimes it could be well over a wk before a new goal is covered but definatly more than once a month.

the local preschool to me have the EYFS goals printed out for each child, they highlight it and their evidence is up on the walls or been sent home. they do not take pics and document reasons as to why they feel the child has met the goal ....

in a written obs i would state ...

child has mastered using the potty and is now able to manage alone with hand washing.

EYFS - self care - bodily awareness - and err well you get the idea its only 6:26am lmao

next steps would be to encourage dressing skills - dressing up, roleplay and baby dolls bathing and dressing.

The Juggler
25-07-2009, 02:57 PM
I think one per month is OK but I'm thinking generally Ofsted would like to see you've observed progress in most or each area of learning each month or so. So, if your one observation covers that great but otherwise maybe one a week concentrating on a different area each time might be better.

However, having said that my inspector didn't read or look at any of my written observations, I just told her what I did and how I planned. Then others would read and pull them apart because they weren't how they like them - so you can't win really.

I think a guideline would be that, if you feel comfortable enough with your observations to be able to explain to someone else where each child is with each area of learning and you can explain how you know that, then you are doing fine.

LOL