PDA

View Full Version : Weekend Charges - Friday to Monday

jessie1
23-07-2009, 01:15 PM
Hi

Me again, so busy with other stuff and been a down after last episode but just want some advice re charges again so that I dont chase potential people away again.

Last year just before i finished work in December I helped a mum with childcare on Saturdays from 9 until 7pm. At the time I charged her £60 for the time but it should have been more as I charged a reasonable rate from 9am to 5pm on Sat and then higher before and after that times. But she is single mom and felt a bit sorry for her....

Due to my circumstances in Feb I temporary stopped childminding and she wasnt working really. She has now moved to an area 5 miles away from me. and she is seeing someone. So she called me earlier wanting me to care for her 2 year old (i cared for him before) and her 5 year old tomorrow whole day.

Then because I have friends from Sunny South Africa visiting me for few days end of the month she asked me to look after her sons from Friday 7th August until Monday 10th AM.

If I must go according to my charges for the one child alone it will work out £420 without the Monday Morning evening as its 3 overnights and our going rate is £60 8-8am. She also wants me to look after her 5 year old for the same times. Her daughter will be staying with friends. So if I charge the same it will be over £800 for a single mom thats visiting "Her friend".

Please help as every penny is needed as also hoping to buy a Jane Powertwin 2nd Hand for £250 before the 18th when a little girl is starting.

thanks in advance

Tatjana
24-07-2009, 10:19 AM
I'm sorry i have absolutely no idea how's best to charge, just didn't want to read and run.

xx

OrlandoBelle
24-07-2009, 11:57 AM
Hi, I wouldn't have a clue how much to charge either but didn't want to read and run. I guess if I worked weekends I would charge a minimum of £7 per hour. Anything that eats into my valuable family time has got to be worth my while. xx

youarewhatyoueat
24-07-2009, 02:02 PM
My day rate for weekends is £6 per hour,per child,I do it for 2 children usually so £12 per hour, I don't do overnight at my house but I do take them home and put them to bed and then charge my babysitting rate which is £10 per hour for both children until morning and then I revert back to my childminding rate when I take them back to mine. Does that make sense.
So 8am-8pm is £144 then 8pm-8am is £120. £264 for 24hrs.

Goatgirl
26-07-2009, 05:03 PM
Hi,
I've not done any weekend work though I might consider it if asked and am registered for overnight. What a lot £800 sounds though; I see what you mean :eek:
Presumably the Parent does realise its going to be more for 2 children than one? and more for daytime hours + night time hours? I think, for me, I would try to guage how much the Mum had thought it would be roughly and see if this is anywhere near the £800. Is the 'friend' helping out maybe?
Then its between that, what you would charge if you weren't worrying if she can afford it and what you can afford to do it for without scaring her off altogether.... If its going to be a one off you can offer a 'special discount', so she doesn't take advantage if she want to repeat the arrangement.
I charge one family normal hourly rates for holiday time even though I did say at the beginning I would charge double because they are not included in the contract and would be random. Otherwise they simply couldn't afford it. Sometimes some money is better than no money, but only you can decide x

sorry I couldn't help more,
bws, wendy :-)

Minstrel
26-07-2009, 05:35 PM
Thats a lot of money- I would try to think what you'd be willing to accept for it rather than what you 'should' charge. Go a little higher in case she barters you a bit lower and put that to her. If the kids are reasonably well behaved i'd be happy to do that for in the region of £250- £350 but then i need the money a lot at the mo so wouldn't want to scare her off.

jessie1
27-07-2009, 08:03 AM
My day rate for weekends is £6 per hour,per child,I do it for 2 children usually so £12 per hour, I don't do overnight at my house but I do take them home and put them to bed and then charge my babysitting rate which is £10 per hour for both children until morning and then I revert back to my childminding rate when I take them back to mine. Does that make sense.
So 8am-8pm is £144 then 8pm-8am is £120. £264 for 24hrs.

Hi all thanks for the replies. My charges are roughly the same as yours Caroline and we live in Oxfordshire where its actually more expensive (reason I became childminder)

She initially wanted from 9am Friday morning until 12 pm Monday Morning and I didnt even charge the Monday until 12pm charges and it came to £420 a child. She has come back now and said she wants from Sunday morning 9am until Wednesday 12pm. I just calculated the charges now on £10 an hour on Sunday 8am to 6pm and then 8pm to 8am. I didnt calculate meals in any of the prices but basically my full day rate and my overnight rate and that now works out to £366 per child until wednesday 12pm.

BUT GUESS WHAT? I gave her the option to give me a price saying that I dont want to charge a lot as £800 was way too much but I also dont want to give all my family time. And she wanted to pay me for friday AM to Monday PM ...................................£200..... for both.... I said sorry no way and she said ok agreed £300 for both, thanks a lot. I then said no I never said that.... I am desperate to earn money but not that desperate as it will be 2 brothers a 2 year old and 5 year old that loves teasing each other and just not worth it...

Goatgirl
27-07-2009, 08:30 AM
Hi,
Wow; that's a huge difference. How has it been left now? If negotiations are still open, Maybe you could give her your 'final best offer'. Now you have an idea what she's thinking :panic: and have the price you would charge worked out, its just what you would be prepared to do it for.
Then she can take it or leave it and you know you did your best without selling yourself short :)

bws,
wendy

Minstrel
27-07-2009, 12:36 PM
Hi all thanks for the replies. My charges are roughly the same as yours Caroline and we live in Oxfordshire where its actually more expensive (reason I became childminder)

She initially wanted from 9am Friday morning until 12 pm Monday Morning and I didnt even charge the Monday until 12pm charges and it came to £420 a child. She has come back now and said she wants from Sunday morning 9am until Wednesday 12pm. I just calculated the charges now on £10 an hour on Sunday 8am to 6pm and then 8pm to 8am. I didnt calculate meals in any of the prices but basically my full day rate and my overnight rate and that now works out to £366 per child until wednesday 12pm.

BUT GUESS WHAT? I gave her the option to give me a price saying that I dont want to charge a lot as £800 was way too much but I also dont want to give all my family time. And she wanted to pay me for friday AM to Monday PM ...................................£200..... for both.... I said sorry no way and she said ok agreed £300 for both, thanks a lot. I then said no I never said that.... I am desperate to earn money but not that desperate as it will be 2 brothers a 2 year old and 5 year old that loves teasing each other and just not worth it...

I must be cheap then because I would have done it for £300. :blush:

then again I really need the money!

tigger
28-07-2009, 08:00 AM
I think what we have to remember is that the weekends are our family time aswell and having to look after other peoples children for 24 hours a day is a huge responsibility, especially for overnight care. The amount you said sounds alot but if you put it into perspective it's not really when you factor in other things aswell.
You could give a discount as the children are from the same family to make it slightly less but I think going down to £200 for four 24 hour days is asking a little too much from you.

RCTLisa
29-07-2009, 04:17 PM
I am in Oxfordshire and I charge £7 per hour or £10 per hour for 2 chilren for care on a Saturday/Sunday (7am-7pm)

\Based on that the weekend alone is £280 plus overnight care so I would be aiming for £350-£400 but thats me.