PDA

View Full Version : Outings- do you charge extra for these?

ZoeAlli
23-07-2009, 10:27 AM
Hi everyone!
I have not really charged for trips before because I have taken children on free (EH or NT places of interest because had a card) visits and not really had children long enough through holidays to make outings viable!
However, I am now in a position where I can take mindees on outings but don't know whether to charge extra for the ones that you pay entry for, ice creams etc.
So please could you help me- I would like to know;
If you have to collect a child earlier to make the trip worthwhile- do you charge for this extra time?
Do you make a charge for the outing (entrance fee, ice creams, etc)? If so, do you charge according to what the outing costs or do you do a standard fee for outings?

Thank you for your help!:)

Zoe

Chatterbox Childcare
23-07-2009, 11:51 AM
This varies

for toddler groups and drop ins I pay the fee

for soft play once a week the parent pays

for outing such as bowling, cinema, Longleat etc the parent pays (mostly do 1 activity like this in the holidays per week)

Pipsqueak
23-07-2009, 12:30 PM
For a bigger type outing yes I ask the parents to pay or contribute a fair chunk of it plus a couple quid spends (I always say no more than £2 spends so it equals it up for each child)

charleyfarley
23-07-2009, 12:41 PM
I don't charge for outings as I take my own children and I use the Tescos clubcard vouchers so it doesn't cost anything to get in. Parents do give their child some spending money though and they also send them a packed lunch.

Of course anything I do pay out for them goes through my books :thumbsup:

Carol xx

Deb
23-07-2009, 01:40 PM
If I choose to take them out, I pay - if I want them earlier I dont charge extra. I do ask for a packed lunch and a bit of spending money for them tho. I go out almost everyday and even the free stuff costs in terms of coffee and ice creams lol.

LittleStars
23-07-2009, 03:57 PM
I pay for all outings, treats, lollies etc

My parents would have a fit if I tried to charge them. I do wish sometimes that they would offer a bit of 'kitty' money for nice treats...6 ice lollies costs a fortune!!

Deb
23-07-2009, 05:37 PM
this is why I buy 10 for a £1 from asda and wrap them in freezer blocks and take them with.

Hebs
23-07-2009, 05:43 PM
i don't charge for outings but ask parents for spending money for things like ice creams and spends at the little (rip off) shops that most places have :thumbsup:

RedDragon
23-07-2009, 06:59 PM
No, I don't charge - but am very careful in where I go/what I spend.

As soon as the weather improves will take a trip to the local farm - costs a lot but for me the parents are very good - picking up children early, money (mostly) on time etc

Put it on my expenses and 1 of my own children has a great time.

FizzysFriends
23-07-2009, 07:04 PM
No, I don't charge - but am very careful in where I go/what I spend.

As soon as the weather improves will take a trip to the local farm - costs a lot but for me the parents are very good - picking up children early, money (mostly) on time etc

Put it on my expenses and 1 of my own children has a great time.

Im do the same, don't charge, parents are good (on the whole). I don't allow spending money as they argue and I don't buy them things when they are out, its about the day out not what they can get out of it. I take anything we are going to need.

mushpea
23-07-2009, 07:06 PM
i dont charge for outings, i buy the kids yearly zoo tickets and we go every week, big zoo so lots of different things each time, i dont pay for any other outings as we use local parks and country walks/nature reserves etc.
I refuse to buy things like ice lollies due to cost but they get either a small pack of sweets which i take with me or we have lollys at home, i also dont let them bring spending money as one child may afford it but then the other s prehaps cant so this is unfair, we have to go through the shop on the way out the zoo but each time i tell them that we are going through the shop and out the other end , we dont stop and we dont touch and they all seem to accept this.

sarah707
23-07-2009, 07:13 PM
I charge for big outings and if one is planned I am careful that I take children whose parents will pay.

Otherwise I stay local and we go places that are cheap / free.

I do ask for spending money for ice creams etc and if parents don't send it I pay for the child and they get a little mini milk or something.

I am not paid enough otherwise I don't think :(

Pipsqueak
23-07-2009, 07:14 PM
I am not paid enough otherwise I don't think :(

expertly said!!!:clapping: :D

ZoeAlli
23-07-2009, 09:36 PM
Thank you all for your help and advice. I think I will continue to be careful what and where I plan to go- choosing outings that do not cost much, and maybe ask parents for a contribution towards treats.
I will also charge for big outings and follow Sarah707's advice!
I too am not paid enough!!

Thank you again to everyone! :)
Zoe

sophiestars
23-07-2009, 09:55 PM

My parents are all very good too, never had a problem with late payment but
I don't think parents should neccessarily rewarded by not having to pay for outings because they have paid their fees on time!! Shouldn't that be expected of them anyway? lol!!

loocyloo
23-07-2009, 10:18 PM
this is the first year that i have minded a child who would need to pay entrance fees etc. i have an agreement with mum, that i would ask for, and she would pay entrance fees, however, i have a strong feeling that if i do ask her for the money, she will see it as her 'right' to say whether or not she thinks it suitable etc, so have decided that this holiday we won't be doing any expensive trips, and i will cover what we do do! i usually pay for an ice cream each.

i need to work out a way to ask mum for a donation towards the holidays activities.

FussyElmo
24-07-2009, 07:36 AM
I have always told my parents that they pay for the outings before signing the contract but i only do max 2 in the seven weeks. They also provide the pocket money if we go out.

However if its a free trip I provide the treats usually a multipack from asda etc.

RedDragon
24-07-2009, 09:51 AM
My parents are all very good too, never had a problem with late payment but
I don't think parents should neccessarily rewarded by not having to pay for outings because they have paid their fees on time!! Shouldn't that be expected of them anyway? lol!!

Yes, I agree with you - but what I feel in my case is in the past I have had some parents who I have not had a very good working relationship with - the ones I work with now I am happy to pay for outings out of my own money because I think the parents respect me/work with me/bring extras to the Setting.

mum2two
24-07-2009, 10:03 AM
Last year in my June newsletter I informed parents I would be planning trips out, and would appreciate the cost of entry paid. If any parents didn't want to pay, to let me know, and i will arrange around their children.

July's I listed the dates I'd selected, places & costs. Again, told parents to inform me if they did not want me to do this. I had not mentioned to children.

Then again in Augusts, I listed dates and prices. I had calls the morning of some trips saying kids weren't coming, and I think only one of the trips (legoland) the parents actually paid for. We ended up paying for the rest...

Now, I just pay it. We don't go anywhere expensive, and at least i can do what I want when I want!!

If I have children earlier or later due to a trip out, then I don't charge the extra hours, as that is my choice!

xx

Little Pumpkins
25-07-2009, 07:01 PM
mine are all included in the price lol maybe not the best idea as I arnt on great money after expences