PDA

View Full Version : Am I too cheap??

OrlandoBelle
22-07-2009, 04:43 PM
Not in that way!!!.... It's just that my husband thinks I don't charge enough for my childminding. All breakfasts, lunches, outings, etc are all included in my hourly rate of £3.50. He was talking to a lady I used to work with and she was asking him if I have any vacancies as she can't find anyone in my area under £4.50!

I am considering putting my prices up in November as I will have been registered for a year then, but I don't know how much to increase it to. My husband reckons £4, but an extra 50p an hour is a lot to some people and I don't want to lose mindees. What do you currently charge, and do you plan to increase your fees this year? I don't know what to do!

PRINCESSDAISYFLOWER
22-07-2009, 04:49 PM
i charge £4.50 per hr but i know cm's in my area charging £6.50 and they are always full x

PixiePetal
22-07-2009, 04:49 PM
I am not increasing my fees for my one mindee left after I move house but may change the system for new families. Might go up from £4 with meals to pay on top to £4.50 meals included. Not sure yet, need to look into it.

OrlandoBelle
22-07-2009, 04:51 PM
Thank you both, can I ask what areas you are from? I guess childcare prices will be a lot higher in say, London, than it will be where I am in Northants.

Hebs
22-07-2009, 04:53 PM
i'm in newcastle and charge £4 per hour, thats the going rate round here however i provide all meals :thumbsup:

PixiePetal
22-07-2009, 04:53 PM
I am in East Sussex. £4 seems normal round here and some are pushing up from that. I try not to put up fees too much during a mindees time with me, which is why I will do it for new mindees to start.

PRINCESSDAISYFLOWER
22-07-2009, 04:55 PM
i live in a commuter town (borehamwood) its where they film Big Brother and Eastenders alot of people work in london so we can get away with charging abit more.

I have a nursury next to me that charges £1.00 a every minute your late picking up (i would be a millionaire if i did this)

Jules27
22-07-2009, 04:55 PM
I charge between £3 - £3.50 p/h depending on age of child, hours needed. This is about right for our area. This includes snacks, trips to toddlers and soft play. meals are extra. Think I will be increasing to £3.25 - £3.75 in april.:)

PixiePetal
22-07-2009, 04:57 PM
I have a nursury next to me that charges £1.00 a every minute your late picking up (i would be a millionaire if i did this)

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I would be able to cut down to 2 days a week :D

Chatterbox Childcare
22-07-2009, 06:44 PM
I would say make a few phone calls and check out the opposition and then make a decision based on the facts.

It's a small world
22-07-2009, 07:51 PM
Not in that way!!!.... It's just that my husband thinks I don't charge enough for my childminding. All breakfasts, lunches, outings, etc are all included in my hourly rate of £3.50. He was talking to a lady I used to work with and she was asking him if I have any vacancies as she can't find anyone in my area under £4.50!

I am considering putting my prices up in November as I will have been registered for a year then, but I don't know how much to increase it to. My husband reckons £4, but an extra 50p an hour is a lot to some people and I don't want to lose mindees. What do you currently charge, and do you plan to increase your fees this year? I don't know what to do!

Hi Aimee

I've spoken to a few childminders in our area and they charge £4 ph and some add extra for meals. I have followed the price, but my costs include breakfast/lunch/snacks/entrance to playgroups (as if you charge extra parents may turn round and say don't want child to attend and I feel this would be a shame as my ds and mindee enjoy them) I then charge £1.50 for evening meal and have mentioned that sometime we may venture further afield ie: West Lodge Farm so will ask parents to contribute to things like this.
When I mentioned I was going to charge £3.50 they said don't lower it and suggested £4ph ( I also charge £30per day for 8+ hours.) After speaking to dh we decided probably best not to undercut other childminders as they may provide business in future and vice versa by passing name on. We will sometimes rely on other cm to pas our details onto parents ....Hope that helps??????
Hope you are well K x

DIPPY DOUGHNUT
22-07-2009, 08:09 PM
hi

im in hampshire and i charge £3.50ph but then charge extra for snack and meal.

childminding prices in the area are £3-£3.80 is the highest o know off

nannymcflea
22-07-2009, 10:02 PM
Not too far from you in Peterborough the rates are £3.00-£3.50. Most include food in this price. I'm one of the cheapest in my area. I charge £3.00, include food/outings etc. If parents are happy to pay £4 for your service and you are not pricing yourself out of the market then go with the flow.

Pipsqueak
23-07-2009, 12:01 AM
I am in Co Durham and I charge £4ph with evening meal costing 1.20. Its an extra parents can choose - or not.

You need to make sure what you are charging is covering all your outgoings.
Can you honestly provide 3 meals and snacks/drinks per child daily and earn something from £3.50 (bear in mind any outings, extra cleaning materials, insurances etc etc).

Nicki L
23-07-2009, 09:56 AM
Hi

I am in Hampshire and I charge £3.50 per hour, this includes a snack and entrance to playgroups etc. They bring their own lunch.

I only mind until 2.30pm each day so dont have to worry bout evening meal.

Hope this helps
x

Ripeberry
23-07-2009, 10:18 AM
I live in totally the wrong area then. Most people around here charge £3.50 and some as little as £3.20. But it's not a deprived area, just out in the countryside near Bristol.
Even the babysitters only charge £5.50 an hour. But lots of people have houses that are worth more than £400,000 and drive Mercs and BMW 4X4.
They must be spending the money they save on childcare on themselves :laughing: ;)

bex8282
14-08-2009, 01:15 PM

I would stick to the £3.50 and charge for the food and outings!!!! :)

cuffleygirl
14-08-2009, 04:42 PM
I'm in Norfolk I'm taking children on at £4ph includes snacks not meals they are extra if required. Toddlers etc included, 'bigger' outing admissions aren't they are extra.

I do adjust for antisocial hours or odd hours etc, but I'm not good at putting prices up though, so I have got some different rates in my brood but parents don't come across each other so is fine at the mo!

What is the going rate in Hertfordshire? Potters Bar area anyone know thinking of moving back.

Mollymop
14-08-2009, 05:30 PM
I would try and keep to the same kind of rate as the other childminders in your area. If they are charging £4.50, you should be able to do this, if not you get some minders in your area thinking they are being undercut because of your cheap prices.

When I started out I was £2.75, everyone else was £3. I did this cos I was new and didn't feel like I should be charging the smae price as other minders because they ahd lots more experience than me.

One minder who had been minding for years said to me that I should be charging the same as them. I was annoyed but I saw her point of view.

I soon increased to £3 per hour

That is how much I charge, the going rate is now £3.25, but I like my £3 it is easier than working out 0.25p.

I include only brekkie and snacks. I add on £1 for lunch and £1.50 if they want tea per day (I try not to do tea if I can help it unless it is a light one)

Sandra x

Princess Sara
14-08-2009, 06:43 PM
I charge £3.50 per hour for under 5's and £4 per hour for school aged children.

Just past Sixfields in Northampton.

debbie
15-08-2009, 08:21 AM
i'm in southend on sea area and i charge £4 pr hour this seems to be the going rate in my area plus parents then pay an extra £1.50 for meals and snacks. if they dont dont want to pay this extra £1.50 they have to supply their own food for the child they soon realise how much this costs and how time consuming this is and soon start paying. dh has just told me to put prices up because of the general rise in cost of everything from food to diesel for transporting their dlo around. lets face it at the end of the day most of them get help from tax credits etc. would they work for less then the minimum wage i dont think so ! parents should appreciate us more.

russell
19-08-2009, 03:10 PM
Hi I live in bushey just out of borehamwood a little nearer to watford and our rates are £4.50 to £5.50 ann hour and depending on your hrly rate a little mofe for before and after school. I prvide snacks and meals butif someone who doesnt normally have asks for one I would charge for it. We charge for 4weeks holiday nad half pay for their hols, dont seem to have any problems with these prices.:)

carlen222
19-08-2009, 05:05 PM
in my area the council has an online list of local childminders and what they charge per hour

http://www.scottishchildcare.gov.uk/LocalChis.aspx?chisid=26

maybe your local council has a similar scheme running??

im going to charge £3 an hour - not including meals, seems to be going rate around my area xx

alicia77
23-08-2009, 09:38 PM
Hi
I live in Wigan, Greater Manchester and I have been comparing fees in my area to see what other CMs charge - I was gobsmacked the lowest was £2.30 per hour???? this surely can't include meals, outings etc???....some others were charging £2.60, £2.80!!!!
:eek: