PDA

View Full Version : Payment excuses

mary poppins
20-07-2009, 08:53 PM
I have worked for one lady for 2 years now and I think she must be running out of excuses for late payment. We agreed monthly payment when she started 2 years ago as she gets paid monthly although I would prefer to be paid weekly. This soon got to be difficult as she would pay a week late so then the next months bill would be due in only 3weeks, I was always playing catchup and 5wks money is a lot to be waiting for. In the end after some bounced cheques I said we needed to change the arrangement and from now on I wanted to be paid in cash weekly. Thats when the excuses became more and more novel for ex. "Oh i thought his dad had paid" or "his dad will be down in the morning(sat) with the money, "sorry forgot it was payday" and too many more to write.... now she is asking can she pay monthly again as it would save all the hassle of remembering to pay every week!!!!!! what would you do?

sweets
20-07-2009, 09:07 PM
could you not let her pay monthly but ask for it by direct debit in which case she can't forget!

sarah707
20-07-2009, 09:12 PM
I would keep it weekly... imagine if she 'forgets' when it's monthly. It will tot up much quicker :rolleyes:

peanuts
20-07-2009, 09:22 PM
get her to pay it directly into your bank then she doesnt have to forget to pay you

duran
20-07-2009, 09:27 PM
I would get her to pay you by direct debit that way she cannot forget to pay you each week

OrlandoBelle
20-07-2009, 09:38 PM
I would also ask for it weekly by standing order. That's what one of my mums do and to be honest, I wish they all did. It saves me going all the way into town every week to pay money in the bank.:)

The past two weeks I have had a parent pay late. Last week it was due on monday and I didn't get it til Friday. This week's payment was due this morning... as was her child at 9:30, but they didn't show up and I didn't even get a phone call or a reply to my text when I asked if he would be coming. How rude is that?? I wonder if he'll turn up tomorrow and will he have my money?? :mad:

singlewiththree
21-07-2009, 06:29 AM
I agree with paying into the bank. I'm having a chat with one of my mums this week about it as she forgets to bring her cheque book and then I find it hard to get to the bank. As it happens she has paid up front for this week as she didn'd pay me until Friday for last week. Its not an easy subject to approach but I'm going to write all my account details on a bit of paper and then say that the child starting sept is going to pay by monthly starting order so would she do the same to make it easier for me and her.

Off topic I've just noticed there is a pigeon sat on the roof of my car!!! hope it doesn't leave a present. SHHOOO

angeldelight
21-07-2009, 06:30 AM
Do you charge her late fees if she is late with payment ?

Maybe if she had to pay extra every time she is late it would stop her doing this to you ?

Angel xx

The Juggler
21-07-2009, 07:07 AM
don't ask for direct bank payment insist on it. when I did this I did a letter saying something along these lines

'I know everyone is busy and things easily get forgotten, therefore I would like to request that from now on you make a direct payments to my bank account. I know no-one intentionally forgets to pay but it would avoid the uncomfortable position of me having to ask for money. In addition, I have dd's come out of my account on the 1st of every month some of which are bouncing at present as I am not able to deposit cheques/cash on time.

My bank details are ....

If you have difficult setting this up, please let me know and we can discuss alternative arrangements.

huggableshelly
21-07-2009, 09:11 AM
lol i've heard tuns of excuses too

the cash machine ate my card
tax credits didnt pay in
lost my card
had my handbag stolen
card was cloned so account has been emptied
forgot what day it was
off sick couldnt get to the bank

dog chewed my bag so need a new one and card has teeth marks in it, the cash machine wont accept it

all these from one parent LOL

Deb
21-07-2009, 10:45 AM
I would discuss childcare vouchers, which would help as the money is taken from salary, and then insist on direct transfer every month, on the day after her payday. It is an important bill and does not figure after mortgage, gas, elec and shoes.

balloon
21-07-2009, 12:00 PM
If I'd had a fiver for every time tax credits apparently paid late or the bank paid a dd early and left them broke I'd be rich - well I'd be able to afford some half decent new shoes anyway, lol!

Mouse
21-07-2009, 12:21 PM
If she is that unreliable I wouldn't be asking for payment direct into the bank. She could easily phone them to stop a payment, then blame the bank for payments not coming through on time.

I would have a meeting with her, stress that you want paying regularly every week, but suggest that you review it in 3 months time with the possibility of switching to monthly payments then. Also tell her what you late payment charge is & that you will start charging it if payments aren't on time.

angeldelight
21-07-2009, 04:56 PM
Hope you got this sorted out ?

Angel xx

The Juggler
21-07-2009, 05:10 PM
If she is that unreliable I wouldn't be asking for payment direct into the bank. She could easily phone them to stop a payment, then blame the bank for payments not coming through on time.

I would have a meeting with her, stress that you want paying regularly every week, but suggest that you review it in 3 months time with the possibility of switching to monthly payments then. Also tell her what you late payment charge is & that you will start charging it if payments aren't on time.

that's a point - hadn't thought of that. However, I think some of late payment down to laziness and can't see those type of parents actually bothering to ring the bank to cancel.

tashaleee
21-07-2009, 08:37 PM
I would definitely insist on weekly pay.

I have one parent who 'forgets' on a monday morning, but we have agreed (actually her suggestion!) that she pays me when she picks up on a friday for the following week.

I would ask to meet with the parent again and explain that it is not acceptable, you have bills etc and if she is getting childcare money from tax credits then there is no excuse for late payment. I would also review her contract and add in a late fee for each time she doesnt pay - and enforce it. Do you have a late fees policy - if not you could introduce one to cover this...

angel9199
21-07-2009, 09:35 PM
I don't get the excuses they wouldn't go food shopping and say oh sorry my money didn't go in I'l take this food and pay in two weeks, so why should we be any different grrr it makes me so angry.:angry:
alao I have been getting tax credits for 5 years and it has never once been late- and if I am due the money on a bank/public holiday I get it a few days earlier!!!

Deb
22-07-2009, 06:52 AM
I was thinking this angel - never been late, ever, not even when I was working and getting child care element. strange innit?

oldtimer
04-08-2009, 10:35 PM
I don't get the excuses they wouldn't go food shopping and say oh sorry my money didn't go in I'l take this food and pay in two weeks, so why should we be any different grrr it makes me so angry.:angry:
alao I have been getting tax credits for 5 years and it has never once been late- and if I am due the money on a bank/public holiday I get it a few days earlier!!!

exactly right....now just suppose that they have not paid you, as agreed.....

and they bring their child to you for minding, and you say to them 'no money - no childcare' .............I am pretty sure that you would get the money pretty fast....maybe as long as takes for them to get to a cash machine....