PDA

View Full Version : Yet another retainer query

bethsmum
19-07-2009, 10:31 AM
Please could I ask for your opinions on a retainer query I have?

My under 1 year space has been provisionally booked for someone who doesnt want their child minded until the end of their maternity leave, which is the beginning of November.

Just wondering whether the retainer should be charged monthly or as a lump sum?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks x

margimum
19-07-2009, 11:18 AM
Usually if you have the place now and agree not to fill it I would charge 1/2 usual fee as a retainer
Let mum know she can use the place as she wishes until November as long as she gives notice and has to pay the top up for the days she uses
She can then settle the baby with you and have some time to herself and feel she is getting something for her money.
A lump some payment is usually to secure a place which is coming up but not available now. It is usually payable off first month's fees and non refundable if parent decides not to take up the place in November.
I believe WFTC will pay from birth if mum is on mat leave from work.

bethsmum
19-07-2009, 11:22 AM
Thanks

That's what i've done, basically i'm going to charge 1/2 fees on the first of each month.

Never had to do a retainer before as the children have all usually started immediately :cool:

Daftbat
19-07-2009, 12:32 PM
With new customers i normally charge a deposit rather than a retainer unless they are wanting to make some use of the space before they actually start. The deposit would be nonrefundable without at least 6 weeks notice of not needing space and i normally take it off the first months invoice.

I have only used retainers to keep spaces open which have already been used, however there is nothing wrong with doing it as the previous poster suggests. We all have our own ways of working.

RainbowMum
19-07-2009, 12:35 PM
When asked to hold a space for a long period I charge £200 deposit with 50% refundable of 1st invoice - I take the other £100 as compensation for lost earnings.:)

bethsmum
19-07-2009, 02:10 PM
I've just been asked by a second parent for the same days as the retainer one! Just typical why cant it be the other 2.5 days :rolleyes:

margimum
19-07-2009, 05:29 PM
If you take this second child on, then you can't charge the first mum a retainer as you won't have the place free. Can't either mum change hours? That would be perfect for you.
You could take second child on a short term contract just in case first mum does not go back to work.
I have had several mums adamant they were going back then couldn't face leaving baby. Or going on sick leave for months!