PDA

View Full Version : Observations

mumtodaniel
19-02-2008, 06:49 PM
Hi, just wondering when you have to start your observations, is it from September. I have two children part time after nursery age 4 who will be going to full time school in September, do I have to do any observation on them now.

Also, they might continue coming after school in September, do you have to do observation during that period, or is this covered by school.

Maureen

sarah707
19-02-2008, 07:16 PM
You do not have to anything until September, but Ofsted look for evidence of learning and development during inspections and the best way to show evidence is through observations... and photographs with little notes next to them saying what is happening and what you are planning for the child's next steps are a good place to start.

From Sept all providers will have to follow EYFS... it won't matter where they are or how long they are there for, you will have to show you have appropriately observed, assessed and planned for each child's needs...

Hope this helps :D

chelle
19-02-2008, 07:43 PM
hi, dont want to sound dumb but what do you mean buy observations??:blush: all this is still new to me. thanks love chelle.x

sarah707
19-02-2008, 07:59 PM
hi, dont want to sound dumb but what do you mean buy observations??:blush: all this is still new to me. thanks love chelle.x

It's a way of formalising what you already do...

You know how you watch what a child enjoys doing and offer similar learning experiences based on what you have seen?

Well in EYFS speak, those are observations - we all do them, sometimes we don't even realise we are doing them, from Sept 2008 we will have to write them down.

Please ask again if I am not making sense. :D

chelle
19-02-2008, 08:43 PM
thanks sarah! i know what you mean now, do you know sometimes i feel like i havnt got a clue then i realise i do really, anyway thanks .:) surpose things will come a bit clearer when i eventually get some kids. still waiting :( .chelle

sarah707
19-02-2008, 10:16 PM
thanks sarah! i know what you mean now, do you know sometimes i feel like i havnt got a clue then i realise i do really, anyway thanks .:) surpose things will come a bit clearer when i eventually get some kids. still waiting :( .chelle

I think I am guilty of not making myself clear sometimes as well. I find I say things to people and sort of expect them to understand but there is so much jargon in this business like any other and it's not always obvious... glad you asked because that's another 'I do that' box you can tick!

Good luck with the advertising xx

mumtodaniel
19-02-2008, 10:18 PM
great sarah thanks for reply, having been taking photos, but will write notes up to as well and link them together.