PDA

View Full Version : Payment when will i get paid?

Jemima77
18-07-2009, 10:52 PM
I have just signed contracts to take on a toddler whose mum is at uni and they pay 85% of her fees. I am charging a retainer from Aug to Sept 21st but said that she can attend any days that I am working during this period.
Just slightly worried about taking her on and then not getting paid for ages. I have filled out the grant form with my fees which she said ahe would send off asap.
Has anyone else had a mindee whose fees are mostly paid by the uni???
Thanks xxxx

Daftbat
19-07-2009, 07:52 AM
I have not had this experience but surely whether the uni prvides funding or not it is the responsibility of the parent to ensure you are paid when you need it - they can sort out their funding as a separate issue.

sarah707
19-07-2009, 08:16 AM
I was going to say the same as Penny.

You don't wait until the funding comes through to get paid!!

The parent is responsible for paying you according to the terms of your contract.

If you don't get your money weekly / monthly / in arrears / in advance or however it's been agreed then you must speak to the parent and follow the process in your fees policy to get your money back.

hth :D

rickysmiths
19-07-2009, 08:30 AM
Usually you will be paid at the beginning of Sept for the term. They will regard your first figures as an estimate and you will be sent a form towards the end of the term on which you confirm the fees paid and the fees due for the next term. When you are paid in Jan the amount will reflect any adjustments.

If the mum ows you money now at the start of the contract she should pay you until you are paid direct and the refund her if necessary, you should never be the one out of pocket.

jessie1
19-07-2009, 08:54 PM
Hi Jemima, I am also hoping to sign an almost 3 year old up. His mom is starting college in September and he will be 3 on the 5th September and entitled to the 15 hours free care and therefore attending playgroup from 9 - 12pm daily.
She wants me to pick him up and keep him until 15:30 when she gets her girls from school. Because he will be taking up a full space I am thinking of charging for most of the day.

She said tomorrow she will bring a form from the college and they will cover retainers and deposits. But now I am a bit worried that I wont get paid on time. Should I tell her tomorrow that she must pay me the deposit at least. I dont know as dont want to lose her but also desperately need to earn money now.

Jemima77
19-07-2009, 09:23 PM
Hi Jessie, Yeah thats a similar thing to me...I hate asking for money especially as they have other kids and not alot of money themselves...but hey we are not just doing this for fun it is a business.
I have charged her slightly more per hour as I am having her only till 12.30 when i drop her off for nursery so it will be hard to find another one to fill the extra hours, i have explained this to her and she is quite happy with it. (prob because she is not paying for most of it lol).
OMG I didnt even discuss a deposit with her how stupid of me and she has signed all the forms now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have also turned down extra work from an enquiry today because I will be full as of sept.
Should I ring her up to discuss or is it too late?????????????

manjay
19-07-2009, 09:30 PM
I have 3 siblings whose mum attends uni. We have been working together since I started and we have come to an arrangement that suits us. Her situation is the same in that she gets 85% funded and finds the rest herself. She gets 3 drawdowns of funding - beg Oct, Beg of Jan and after Easter (so the beginning of each term) and she pays me for the full term. This means for some months I don't get my money on 1st. I would not have done this straight away as I am aware of the pitfalls of taking a terms money and then the parent not attending and getting thrown out. For the first 6 months she paid me monthly in advance and then we switched to what we do now. The funding year usually runs from Sept to Aug and so that means I have received all monies up to the end of Aug but won't get Sepembers money until October when uni starts (and she has turned up for the course). I realise this may not work for everyone but it suits me just fine as I survive on my other earnings and this large lump sum goes in my holiday fund.

Sorry for the big waffle but I would say get to know your parent very well before you agree to anything like I do. I would take a deposit to hold the place

jessie1
19-07-2009, 09:31 PM
You probably were too excited because they sign that you forget the important bits, lol.

I mentioned the deposit and actually said that I wont charge a retainer but thinking now I will tell her tomorrow or she must give me at least a weeks deposit instead of 50%.

I just dont want to lose the place so will see what she says if she does come around before she leaves on holiday.
You will have to decide if you would do ok not having the deposit. I personally need it but havent even asked my first contract a retainer as I just wanted the contract. But at least 1st Mum paid a deposit last month. Enquired in May and baby was suppose to start in Oct but now starting 2 mornings from August.

jessie1
19-07-2009, 09:35 PM
Hi Manjay, that makes sense and if we have something else to fall back on than it would be ok. So just a question if she is only starting in September (thats what she said, but they havent given her a date yet) will I get my money in September or Oct and then quaterly the way you explained.
that is a bit scary getting a quarters money so far in advance.

manjay
19-07-2009, 09:45 PM
Hi Manjay, that makes sense and if we have something else to fall back on than it would be ok. So just a question if she is only starting in September (thats what she said, but they havent given her a date yet) will I get my money in September or Oct and then quaterly the way you explained.
that is a bit scary getting a quarters money so far in advance.

All unis may do it differently but they don't usually pay out for childcare until they are sure the person is going to attend iyswim. I realise my way wouldn't suit everyone but I figure the money is safer with me than in Mum's bank account:rolleyes: .Of course you don't have to do that you could just do it monthly as normal

Pudding Girl
19-07-2009, 09:46 PM
Hi Jemima, I am also hoping to sign an almost 3 year old up. His mom is starting college in September and he will be 3 on the 5th September and entitled to the 15 hours free care and therefore attending playgroup from 9 - 12pm daily.
She wants me to pick him up and keep him until 15:30 when she gets her girls from school. Because he will be taking up a full space I am thinking of charging for most of the day.

She said tomorrow she will bring a form from the college and they will cover retainers and deposits. But now I am a bit worried that I wont get paid on time. Should I tell her tomorrow that she must pay me the deposit at least. I dont know as dont want to lose her but also desperately need to earn money now.

Sorry, am certain that he won't get it free till after Jan 1st, he's missed the cut off date for Sept. Feel free to correct me if that's wrong anyone?

Jen4Kids
20-07-2009, 10:31 AM
Im sure he would get funded from the term after his 3rd birthday - so January. My son was born sept 21st and that is how i had to do it.

My lastest mindee to be signed starts september 14th and her mum is at uni, she has paid me my £50 deposit when she signed earlier this month, then she is paying me 2 months money on her first day - i was happy with 1 month up front (this is my policy) but she wanted to pay for 2 months so it was taken care off iyswim :thumbsup: This is my first experience with a bursery and i like the idea of it being given in chunks so it hopefully doent get spent on other things than childcare (if that makes sense)

jessie1
20-07-2009, 10:54 AM
Hi

Maybe I misunderstood and maybe he is being sponsored by the college as well but that still means that I must get paid for that time as she already told me I would be first contact should there be an emergency.

She called this morning and will be here in an hours time with the form that needs to be completed and i am just going to be upfront with her. Normally I would deduct deposit from 1st months invoice but in this case I will keep it until he leaves. So will ask for deposit and retainer or at least part deposit.

Thanks everyone, fingers cross.