PDA

View Full Version : Newbie with a few questions

Holly86
15-07-2009, 05:57 PM
Hi all,

My name is Holly and this is my first time posting, although I have been browsing for some time.

I hope someone can help me with a few questions I have? :)

Well, I had my pre-reg visit last week, all went well and Ofsted lady is happy for me to be registered as long as crb checks come back ok (just hope they dont take too long:panic: )

Can anyone advise me when I can start advertising? e.g leaflet dropping etc?

Also, does anyone have any experience with young childminders? I am 23, and although I do not think that is too young to be a childminder, I am worried some potential parents may prefer someone with a little more experience. I do have a 14 month old baby so I do have experience with babies and children.

Any advise would be appreciated.
x

FizzysFriends
15-07-2009, 06:41 PM
Hi Holly, welcome to the forum.

You can advertise before you are registered but the advert has to say you aren't registered, so soon to be registered childminder or something like that is ok. You can't sign contracts or take deposits until you have your certificate though, but can make a waiting list of people interested.

I don't think age is a problem, I look about 12 but nobody has ever asked my age, although they know im in my twenties (thats to DD). In fact I have parents say they prefer younger.

chewy sweets
15-07-2009, 06:47 PM
I'm pre reg and i started advertising online about 2 months ago. You are fine to advertise before you register just as long as you state on advertising material that you are Soon to be registered. I did a leaflet drop earlier today.
Did a few streets where i live. I've put notices up in Dr's and post office and local shops- all stating Soon to be registered. Had a few enquiries but no contracts signed yet!
Get yourself listed on yell.com and vivastreet. This is where i have had most of my enquiries so far.

I thought it's better to have people waiting before i register than panicing when i have my certificate but noone lined up. At the moment i'm in that situation anyway but advertising and doing leaflet drops makes me feel like i'm doing something!:laughing:

venus89
15-07-2009, 06:50 PM
Hi Holly
I just wanted to say welcome to the forumand good luck. Advertise away - and enjoy the job.

chewy sweets
15-07-2009, 06:50 PM
Oh forgot to mention i'm 26 and have a 14 month old. Hope parents won't think age is a problem! If anything i'd use it as a positive- having more energy and more in touch with what kids want to do?:)

venus89
15-07-2009, 06:51 PM
Oh forgot to mention i'm 26 and have a 14 month old. Hope parents won't think age is a problem! If anything i'd use it as a positive- having more energy and more in touch with what kids want to do?:)

Definately - I'm 30 and exhausted :laughing:

Emmylou75
15-07-2009, 06:52 PM
Hi Holly,

I wouldn't worry about your age at all. Being a mother yourself is a valuable experience to have when childminding & I'm sure parents will be more concerned how you are with their children and that you have a safe and caring environment :-) There were a few mums your age on my course and they were lovely people and I wouldnt hesitate leaving my children with and they've had no problems getting business their way.

Good luck
Emma x

Pipsqueak
15-07-2009, 06:55 PM
I am sure we have some minders on here who are younger.
Of course with some parents they might be put of by your age - BUT that is not a reflection on you only their choice of what their childcare should be like.
Each to their own. Some may choose a younger minder because they think they will have more energy though so it wil be swings and roundabouts.
It only becomes a problem if you let it be.

If you can come across as professional, responsible, respectable and lots of other 'ble's' then irrespective of your age then you stand a good chance

Good luck and most of all have fun

powerwomen
15-07-2009, 07:02 PM
Hello there and welcome,

From experience i would say it really depends on the parents,Im 24 and some do come round and look down on you :angry: But dont let it get to you just stay focused and do as much advertising as possible.

I have only been childminding since Jan 09 and have just had my first inspection(this makes a big difffrence as well so you can show them you are good at what you do!:) ) and i am now full with a waiting list:clapping: :clapping:

If you have netmums in your area i advertise there as it is really good

Good luck
:D

Spangles
15-07-2009, 07:10 PM
Welcome to the Forum!

Don't worry about your age. People have different ideas of the perfect childminder for their child. Some want older, some younger, some a man, some a childminder with hardly any other children, some with loads, it's just personal taste and everyone will suit somebody.

Good luck with getting your CRB back quickly!

Holly86
15-07-2009, 09:06 PM
Hello

Thank you everyone so much for your replies, I never expected so many!

It's great to have a website like this with so many supportive people.

x