PDA

View Full Version : Part time flexi hours

amirose
15-07-2009, 02:00 PM
I have had an enquiry from someone who wants a maximum of 20 hours childcare a week. I am unfamiliar with the term but she said that her job will be based around a zero hour contract. It will definitely only be mornings and she can give me a weeks notice of days/hours.

I was thinking of offering her

A) Ad hoc contract running the risk I won't have space
B) A 20 hour a week contract regardless of hours used

The trouble with the second option is that I would be relying on getting a child in morning nursery needing childcare for the afternoon and only needing term time care which seems quite specific!
And the trouble with the first option is obviously that I could be letting her down in just a few weeks, especially as I only have 2 under five vacancies anyway and the income could be pretty pants as even at the full 20 hours it works out £90 per week.

Is there another way to do it? What would you do?

Bushpig
15-07-2009, 02:23 PM
I wouldn't take her on to be frank. :panic: My salary is my income like all of us, not pocket money, and I need stability and knowing what £££ is coming in. I just don't see how you'll fill the vacancy if she is there...

The Juggler
15-07-2009, 02:36 PM
can you have another under 5 too? If you can take her on at a minimum number of hours per day - whatever you need to earn to make it worthwhile. Offer her this and see what she says. I do two part tiem contracts for two separate girls 8 hours per week each. However, I have other part timers who slot in around them.

Lots of parents seem to need part-time now so that chances are you will fill the vacancy, particularly if you advertise that you accept part-time.

Chatterbox Childcare
15-07-2009, 04:06 PM
I would go for a minimum of £20 per day covering ...hours and then an hourly rate thereafter. If you got an afterschool it would balance the money even if you didn't get an afternoon.

Deb
15-07-2009, 04:08 PM
I would take it and give notice if I got an enquiry for full time