PDA

View Full Version : So Sad - Our Heros

Pipsqueak
14-07-2009, 09:10 PM
Just catching up with the news and watching the funeral cortege of the 8 soliders who died this last week.

I am so proud to be part of this nation - those ordinary people who turned out to pay their respects to those men - on behalf of all of us. So proud.
I must admit that I cried at the sight of it, cried for those families and I am thankful that there are still young men and women in this country who would and do lay their lives down for me, you and what is right all around the world.

Spangles
14-07-2009, 09:16 PM
I know what you mean, it breaks my heart.

I haven't been able to watch it this time as it makes me think of my hubby being in the army and his mates and it makes me want to cry.

It's so, so sad.

I hope that they know how much most of us appreciate them and what they are doing for us and for others around the world.

Blaze
14-07-2009, 09:19 PM
I'm immensley proud of our armed forces...I just wish the government kitted them out better & they got better pay for what they did...also that Joe Public showed them the respect they deserve ALL of the time!

Roseolivia
15-07-2009, 06:09 AM
I started to watch it but had to turn over as i had tears in my eyes. Not good when you've got a 7ry old there

angeldelight
15-07-2009, 06:33 AM
Very sad indeed

They had pictures in the paper the other day of all of them that had died since the beginning - sils cousin was there - the one who died at christmas so it was sad to see the pics knowing that you know someone

They are heros every one of them

Angel xx

miffy
15-07-2009, 06:46 AM
I did not see the tv coverage but saw the news reports earlier in the week.

So sad for all the families and some of them were so young.................. we should never forget their bravery and commitment.

Miffy xx

wendywu
15-07-2009, 07:21 AM
We should be more respectful in this country of our Armed Forces present and past.

There is a saying on one of the British WW11 forums, it says ' If you are reading today thank a teacher, if you are reading this in English thank a soldier'

It sure makes you think.:(

Chatterbox Childcare
15-07-2009, 07:23 AM
Wootton Bassett where they are repatriated to is just down the road from me.

My DS went yesterday with his GF and said that the town was packed.

So sad.

kindredspirits
15-07-2009, 08:12 AM
i don't think theres such as thing as heros in our armed forces these days - this country is not in danger from the middle east so should leave well alone. i wonder how many afghans and iraqis have been murdered in that 24 hours that we lost 8 :( every human life is precious not just british. :angry:

wendywu
15-07-2009, 08:14 AM
I think most people in the UK would like our Forces home again.

Hebs
15-07-2009, 08:29 AM
I am very proud of our forces :clapping: my sister being one of them :D

she is in afganastan at the moment BUT i for one DO agree with the war and why we are fighting, and she and our family fully accecpt that it may cost her her life but they go into this job knowing full well that they are giving their lives to protect the queen and country.......... if they don't want this then don't join up :)

to base a view on the war based on what we read in the newspaper or see on the news, then that is so sad, my sister has told me things that NEVER make the news, like kids giving the forces their sweets and toys as they know they are there to help!!
my sister has even had one Iraq man kiss her feet :eek:
she was in Iraq when Sadam was caught :clapping:

very proud of them all and back them 100% :thumbsup:

Rubybubbles
15-07-2009, 08:58 AM
as an RAF wife I am too 100% behind our forces

it's just so sad:(

Hebs
15-07-2009, 09:01 AM
it is a shame that some of the country don't see them as the hero's they truely are :(

i mean the stories of them being attacked for beig proud and wearing their uniforms :(

Rubybubbles
15-07-2009, 09:02 AM
it is a shame that some of the country don't see them as the hero's they truely are :(

i mean the stories of them being attacked for beig proud and wearing their uniforms :(

my hubby been in so long he wouldn't step out of the camp in his uniform anymore. I love seeing the younger guys/gals in there uniform bimbling around tesco:thumbsup:

Hebs
15-07-2009, 09:04 AM
:laughing:

i've only seen my sister in her uniform once

lots in photos though :laughing:

aly
15-07-2009, 09:06 AM
as an RAF wife I am too 100% behind our forces

it's just so sad:(
My brother had his passing out for the RAF yesterday. I didn't get to see him a she could only get 4 tickets so my 2 sisters went :(. It is good what he is doing but think i'm feeling selfish in thinking I wouldnt want to be one of those families burying their loved ones.

They are doing/done a brilliant job and I know I couldn't do it.

littlesprogs
15-07-2009, 09:28 AM
I'm also a RAF wife and are very proud of the Forces.

My friend is going out to Afghanistan in 6 days and were so proud of him, when I met him 3 years ago he was a typical lad out drinking every night and i actually didnt like him that much (he's hubbys best mate) but since then hes joined up and sorted his life out and hes grown up so much but i think he'll grow up a nit more once hes out there.

Lets hope the rest of them out there return home safe to their families.

Spangles
15-07-2009, 09:31 AM
i don't think theres such as thing as heros in our armed forces these days - this country is not in danger from the middle east so should leave well alone. :angry:

How can you possibly say that? That's quite offended me actually.

Don't you watch the news? How can you say we are not under threat from the middle east, not all of it obviously but where do you think Al Qaeeda and Bin Laden come from?

I don't want to start an argument, just giving my opinion, and I, for one, don't understand your post or your opinion on this one!

I feel for the innocent people in those countries going about their business hardly daring to go to the market or get petrol but hopefully our soldiers will make the country a better place for them in the end.

Our armed forces are doing a fantastic job out there and are putting their lives at risk every single day both for us and for them.

Perhaps you could explain your post more so I can see where you are coming from?

aly
15-07-2009, 09:34 AM
How can you possibly say that? That's quite offended me actually.

Don't you watch the news? How can you say we are not under threat from the middle east, not all of it obviously but where do you think Al Qaeeda and Bin Laden come from?

I don't want to start an argument, just giving my opinion, and I, for one, don't understand your post or your opinion on this one!

I feel for the innocent people in those countries going about their business hardly daring to go to the market or get petrol but hopefully our soldiers will make the country a better place for them in the end.

Our armed forces are doing a fantastic job out there and are putting their lives at risk every single day both for us and for them.

Perhaps you could explain your post more so I can see where you are coming from?
:angry::angry:

I agree.....Please explain. My brother has just Passed out and what he and the others are doign for YOU, us and everyone is heroic!!!!!!!!!!

Pipsqueak
15-07-2009, 09:40 AM
i don't think theres such as thing as heros in our armed forces these days - this country is not in danger from the middle east so should leave well alone. i wonder how many afghans and iraqis have been murdered in that 24 hours that we lost 8 :( every human life is precious not just british. :angry:

I totally respect your opinion Kindred, I agree withyou that every human life is precious and I feel so sad for all those people right around the world who have lost loved ones in war (or other circumstances). Its heart breaking to see injured people, lives fractured and torn apart. This is a very emotive subject and I did not intend for it to upset anyone, we all have a right to express our opinions.

But I stand by what I say - our service men and women know what they are possibly signing up for and I believe that they are the true hereos of society for willing to put themselves in this position to stand up for what is right or just, to protect other people around the world and not just their own home country. Perhaps our country is not at immediate threat but a terror threat has already been bought to our doorsteps (7/7 is one example).

There were many people who didn't believe the threat from Hitler/Germany was real and thank goodness people like my dad and grandad were willing to serve their country.

I am proud of our armed forces, just as I am proud of my fireservice brother and his colleagues and those in the services.

MelBeck
15-07-2009, 09:58 AM
My son is in afgan and pray that he comes home in one piece and the people who think that they are not hero's just show how dense they are as if it wasn't for our armed forces we would not be able to have this forum to discuss different matters and we wouldn't have be working for ourselves.I am very proud of my son(he's 22) and his mates ,I send stuff for them as they arn't given everything they need and all my friends are helping out as well

So be proud of our troops

We think of them always
X

kindredspirits
15-07-2009, 10:08 AM
i'm not starting a row - just putting in my 2p - i also realise that alot of your families are in the forces and i am not individually digging at them, but i do not believe we are given the full story. there are terrorists such as al quida (sp!) and bin ladan due to the US and UK's foreign policy that decided that it was ok to invade countries because we don't agree with them - they bought the war to our doorstep that we started on theirs.
i do not understand how these people can murder innocent civilians - there was clear evidence of american bombs targetting hospitals etc to destabilise the infrastructure. :(

Hebs
15-07-2009, 10:20 AM
they attacked due to the risk to us

sorry but if it comes to it i'd rather then go than my family, they kill their own people anyway so you'll probably find LESS local people are dying while we are there

chewy sweets
15-07-2009, 10:34 AM
I'm immensley proud of our armed forces...I just wish the government kitted them out better & they got better pay for what they did...also that Joe Public showed them the respect they deserve ALL of the time!

:clapping: :clapping: :thumbsup:

Spangles
15-07-2009, 10:40 AM
I don't know all the ins and outs of what has and what hasn't been done as I don't work for the government nor do I know anyone high up in the military.

All I believe is that the US and the UK (as well as others) wouldn't do anything that wasn't entirely necessary for world safety. If what you say is true then that is dreadful but there would have been good reasons and it wouldn't be a decision taken lightly.

If all countries just turned their back on what was happening and pretended they didn't know what the heck would our world and our lives be like now? We would be in fear of terrorist attacks to a much, much greater extent than we are now and the innocent citizens of that country would be killed and tortured without anyone coming to their aid.

I am fully behind the war in Afghanistan as, from what I see, this needs to be fought and won. I think our armed forces are doing a fantastic and noble job and we should all appreciate them and feel proud that they are prepared to do this for us all.

I appreciate you giving your opinion and know that you are a genuine and caring member of the Forum so please don't think I'm having a go at you personally, I just cannot understand your point of view on this issue.

kindredspirits
15-07-2009, 10:42 AM
[QUOTE=Hebs;474019]they attacked due to the risk to us

QUOTE]

isn't that the point of the iraq enquiry - to find out why there was no weapons and therefore no risk to us? That would mean that millions of people were needlessly murdered and Sadam Hussain was actually quite a good leader who did a lot for the rights of women and children just wasn't very nice to his opponants - like many dictators that the US and UK decide not to interfere with because they have no oil in their countries.
if it was a case of them or us then i'd definately have respect for the troops - but i honestly don't believe that it is.

MelBeck
15-07-2009, 10:45 AM
Kindredspirit,

We didn't invade their country., we were asked to go and help the people by removing a group of people that punish women for not dressing how they want ,for not having the same ideals and for punishing men for not fighting for them. My son is out there to help get the people to vote for what kind of country they want however he is being shot at by others that don't know what it is to live in a free state and who are not allowed to make their own minds up.

Pipsqueak
15-07-2009, 10:45 AM
I agree with what Spangles is saying and in no way am I attacking your for you opinion Kindred, quite the opposite actually, I think you have the courage of your convictions to post what you did:clapping: Once again a difference of opinion and we are dealing with it in a sensible adult fashion.:thumbsup:

Like Spangles, I do not know about military ways and tactics etc but again referring back to WW2, I know many innocents - on both sides, were killed by both sides targeting places to destabalise the infrastructure. Sadly, its part of 'war'.

Its a shame that this one world cannot live in peace with each other and be tolerant and understanding of each others opinions and views but I suppose that is human nature isn't it.

kindredspirits
15-07-2009, 10:46 AM
Thank you Spangles - its very nice to be able to disagree on such an emotive subject without resorting to feeling either side is being attacked personally :thumbsup:

sadly I do think that the US in particular sticks there nose into way too many conflicts that have nothing to do with them and they use such terrible weapons that they clearly see civilians as collaterol damage that is expendable - as they proved in Vietnam and Japan. I've said before, the only country that has proved that they are evil enough to use nukes in a war situation is America so they should be the ones not allowed them. :(

Spangles
15-07-2009, 10:46 AM
Didn't Saddam Hussein slaughter millions of his own people? They found mass graves. Didn't he experiment with biological weapons on them?

I don't think you could describe him as a good leader.

Spangles
15-07-2009, 10:49 AM
I kind of see a bit of what you are saying there, it seems like the US and UK are being used as the world police service to me. Other countries agree with what we do but don't commit half as much as we do. It is quite disgusting really.

I believe that maybe the other countries have too much to lose by helping us and therefore just stay out of it which isn't the right thing to do in my opinion.

How can we sit back and let these attrocities go on without attempting to help and stop them? It's a shame as perhaps if the governments could unite and be a strong enough force the actual physical side of war wouldn't be as necessary.

kindredspirits
15-07-2009, 10:50 AM
i know, human nature sucks - if women ruled the world there wouldn't be wars, just b***ch fights!!!! :D

sorry, you're right spangles I am not saying i would like sadam as a leader in this country, but at the end of the day the country was significantly more stable with him in power than it is now - and there have been many iraqis who have said the same thing.

i am actually curious about what MelBeck has put - who actually asked us to stick our noses in to 'help the people'????

kindredspirits
15-07-2009, 10:52 AM
after the second world war the american president at the time wanted to set up the 'League of Nations' which would have effectively been a world police force - unfortunately we sort of do have world police with the UN but as america funds a lot of it and the UN actually told us not to go to war and we did it anyway it seems a bit pointless having it in place imo.

Spangles
15-07-2009, 10:54 AM
It's sad isn't it that we can't all live in peace together and just agree to disagree.

It just looks to me as if everything is just going to get much, much worse and our children and grandchildren are going to have to keep on fighting.

It makes me sad.

I do sometimes wonder if, like you say, it would actually be a much better world if women were in control. I do genuinely think that, not just because I'm a woman!!! Ha!

Maybe we should start another thread to see people's opinions on that and how they think the world would change for the better and worse! Be interesting!

Spangles
15-07-2009, 10:56 AM
I've got to go now and take ds to pre-school and then pop to Tesco.

I'll be back later though to read some more friendly debating and putting the world to rights girlie style!!

x

kindredspirits
15-07-2009, 10:57 AM
LOL yeah, funnily enough my husband thinks women should rule the world too! :laughing:

Pipsqueak
15-07-2009, 10:58 AM
LOL yeah, funnily enough my husband thinks women should rule the world too! :laughing:

you have him trained well:thumbsup:

Hebs
15-07-2009, 11:26 AM
Didn't Saddam Hussein slaughter millions of his own people? They found mass graves. Didn't he experiment with biological weapons on them?

I don't think you could describe him as a good leader.

i guess that depends on your views :laughing:
honestly

Like Hitler, they were VERY good at what they did, not saying that what they did WAS right cos to me it was heartbreaking shocking to the core WRONG but they were good at it, maybe our goverment could learn a few things about leadership from them :D

funtoplay
15-07-2009, 11:59 AM

I'm really sorry but OMG!!!:angry:

J

Twinkles
15-07-2009, 12:14 PM
I'm not going to get involved in this debate , I would just like to ask those of you who think we shouldn't interfere to read ' A Thousand Splendid Suns' by Khaled Hosseini.
I realise it is a work of fiction but it was written by a man who was born in Kabul and has witnessed first hand the atrocities of the Taliban.

Pipsqueak
15-07-2009, 12:20 PM
I'm not going to get involved in this debate , I would just like to ask those of you who think we shouldn't interfere to read ' A Thousand Splendid Suns' by Khaled Hosseini.
I realise it is a work of fiction but it was written by a man who was born in Kabul and has witnessed first hand the atrocities of the Taliban.

It wasn't meant to be a debate, I was just expressing my sadness at the funeral return of 8 more soliders.

As it has turned into a debate, I am glad though that we can talk it through and accept each others opinions nicely .

MelBeck
15-07-2009, 01:29 PM
To keep the political part of this out,
I worry for the boys as they feel they are doing good and are helping others that need help.
It's also very hard for the parents,wives,girlfriends and children of the troops as one one thing you don't want is footsteps on the path from the army/air force/navy.
We all care for children and would never wish harm to any of them