PDA

View Full Version : ncma or micheal morton

debbie
13-07-2009, 07:31 AM
hi need to do my insurance etc and really dont know which way to go on above has anybody found mm to be better than ncma or not much difference. i know i need to make my own mind up but having been with ncma for 8 years is it time for a change. can you still use ncma contracts etc or do you have to have mm ones. help!!

rickysmiths
13-07-2009, 08:11 AM
There have been several threads on this subject.

I personally would not move from NCMA because I support all the work they do for Childminders, going to government and Ofsted to get reviews and changes such as the Registration fees for cms. Plus all the work they do in the regions around the country. They offer a voice for all cms to be heard.
They also offer services to our parents through the helpline and the Parent Info sheet with Who Minds.
NCMA is a non-profit making Charity run solely for the benifit of Childminders and reg Nannies.

MM is purely a Profit making Insurance company with no interest in the Childminding profession.

NCMA insurance is only £23pa plus £5pa if you need Employee Cover

MM insurance is £40pa inlc.Employee cover wether you need it or not!

Again, personally I would not want to use NCMA paperwork if I was not a member as it would give the impression to the parents that you still are.
MM do all the paperwork though it is more expensive than NCMA

singlewiththree
13-07-2009, 08:31 AM
I like the MM contracts as they include the bit about parental responsibility and a lot of my mindees have separated families.

I liked the layout of the MM contracts compared to NCMA so chose them. I got my first year free with my start up grant so didnt know about costs but will decide again when it comes to renewal time.

rickysmiths
13-07-2009, 08:39 AM
I like the MM contracts as they include the bit about parental responsibility and a lot of my mindees have separated families.

I liked the layout of the MM contracts compared to NCMA so chose them. I got my first year free with my start up grant so didnt know about costs but will decide again when it comes to renewal time.

The NCMA contracts have a space for Parental Responsibility now.

guest3
13-07-2009, 01:47 PM
I too am in the same dilemma! I'm awaiting registration after my pre reg inspection this morning and can't decide between the NCMA pack and the Morton Michel one.
I can choose either as part of my start-up pack and believe that MM also have legal cover included in case of any disputes. Does anyone have any idea if this is so

Wendy x

The Juggler
13-07-2009, 05:30 PM
You could always join NCMA as a member to support them and have them support you, have insurance with them too as its cheaper but use MM paperwork if you prefer it.

Only problem then is you can't use legal helpline for contracts. Not sure how it works with MM contracts they have a helpline/legal service too but not sure if you have to buy their insurance to have it.

Personally would go with NCMA just to say thanks that my registration is not costing me £125 this year. Also, loads of advice over the years.

CCJD
14-07-2009, 05:31 AM
I switched from NCMA to MM after 8 years last year but will go back to NCMA next. Although I liked aspects if the mm contracts, they do not include the guidance notes that the NCMA ones are really good for (eg: advising parents that it is good practice to have paid time off for childminders). The MM paperwork took ages to come through and like the previous poster pointed out, the NCMA have been doing this alot longer and work hard on our behalf to push childminding issues to the forefront with ofsted etc. Add to that the whole childminder networks (which are NCMA run and although you don't have to be anNCMA member it is preferable), I feel that in terms of experience and support they are better.