PDA

View Full Version : Do you charge for your assistant's children?

OTMama
11-07-2009, 12:17 AM
Hi there

I'm a newbie here, and have found it very frustrating not being able to find the answer to this question elsewhere, so hope somebody can help me.

I am planning to take on assistant from September this year and paying her the minimum wage for hours as and when I need her. She is very flexible and can work before and after school as well as during the school day, but has two children of her own. My logic says if her two children (3 and 7) take up two spaces, that I should charge them. However this would mean that she wouldn't earn anything - hardly appealing!

Does anybody here charge say half rates for childcare for their assistant's children, or do most people not charge at all?

Also, does OFSTED include her children when calculating the new ratio, as they did with my own as a childminder, regardless of whether they are in our care at the time or not?

Look forward to your replies,

OTMama

Chatterbox Childcare
11-07-2009, 08:14 AM
I don't think it is going to be worthwhile for either of you as her children count in your ratio's so even if Ofsted do increase your numbers what would be the point

If they did double them you will have to register with your local council and get planning permission. Might be worthwhile speaking to all the authorities first as ours charge £500 for this.

OTMama
11-07-2009, 09:00 AM
Thanks Debbie. I wasn't aware about the planning permission issues with regards to the Council. Can you give more info?

Chatterbox Childcare
12-07-2009, 01:34 PM
I believe that each council runs differently so it would be best to call yours and ask but before doing so call Ofsted and ask them what is the likely hood of your numbers rising as it isn't always the case