PDA

View Full Version : Paying in advance

Mrs M
09-07-2009, 03:24 PM
My contacts state that parents must pay in advance.
I've always been too flexible with payments! One child has recently changed her hours and whilst the parents are waiting for their child credits to come through, they're paying me weekly instead of monthly. Fine, I've agreed to it to help them out. However, they keep paying me at the end of the week instead of the beginning. I really need to ask them to pay me in advance according to their contracts but I find this sort of thing so difficult. I usually write things in their day book like, need to bring rain coat or no dummy included today but when it comes to money, do you think I should actually speak to them face to face?

wendywu
09-07-2009, 03:27 PM
Writing it down is better than not having the nerve to mention it at all.

grindal
09-07-2009, 03:30 PM
Why not write a letter, then when they collect mindee you can say - oh, I have written a couple of things down for you about payment - hope that is OK :thumbsup:

Andrea08
09-07-2009, 03:31 PM
I realy hate this part of the job,,asking for monery etc start by saying......

"Sorry but is there a problem why you can't pay me at the bigining of the week as i have to pay the food and outings from my own pocket till you pay me at the end of the week and im a bit short next week!!!"

or write an invoice too and hand it in as you say this is an invoice as i need the payments to be at the beginning of the week not the end if you look at the contract im happy to be paid weekly but it still needs to be inadvance till your credits get sorted out and we can go back to monthly,,

good luck hope that helps x x

miffy
09-07-2009, 03:33 PM
If you find it really difficult to talk to them give them an invoice on Friday asking for the week's payment on the following Monday.

Miffy xx

Mrs M
09-07-2009, 03:39 PM
Thanks for all your advice. Just before we changed hours, I told them what the fee would be and I said, "I'll invoice you." They replied by saying that there was no need as they knew what the fee was!
Good idea about saying I need it as I'll be a bit short etc.
Thanks again.

Deb
09-07-2009, 03:50 PM
I wouldnt make excuses about being short - I would just say that the bill is due on Monday and is considered late if after this.

miffy
09-07-2009, 03:51 PM
" They replied by saying that there was no need as they knew what the fee was!

Pity they didn't remember when it needed paying too! :rolleyes: :laughing:

Hope you get it sorted

Miffy xx

Mrs M
09-07-2009, 03:54 PM
Have written in the daily diary saying, "I've not received payment for this week. I do need it in advance please as we've always done it. The money covers my outgoings and food for the children. Thanks."

miffy
09-07-2009, 03:55 PM
Have written in the daily diary saying, "I've not received payment for this week. I do need it in advance please as we've always done it. The money covers my outgoings and food for the children. Thanks."

Well done - nicely put but it gets your point across :thumbsup:

Miffy xx

Chatterbox Childcare
09-07-2009, 04:04 PM
You will find that once the TC come through they will be paid on a Thursday and have the money on a Friday.

Don't let them get too far in arrears as you will struggle to get anything.

Mrs M
09-07-2009, 04:05 PM
You will find that once the TC come through they will be paid on a Thursday and have the money on a Friday.

Don't let them get too far in arrears as you will struggle to get anything.

Ok, thanks for that.

Kel04
17-07-2009, 11:49 AM
I have a parent who is meant to pay weekly in advance (agreed in contract). At first she was on time now she has started "forgetting" to bring the money. I have started providing an invoice on the Friday but her payments are still late and I have to keep asking/texting for payment which she says she will drop in but money never emerges when it's meant to. It has even got to the point where, although she is provided with an invoice and cost, she is making up her own totals!!! I only mind one child so don't earn much but need every penny. I'm getting so frustrated and angry and just feel like a 'glorified babysitter' to her.

margimum
19-07-2009, 10:35 AM
Kel04 How brave are you? How about when you open the door on Monday morning asking straight away "have you got my wages?" If not say "I'm sorry then I cannot provide care for your child until you bring them"!!! Bet she'd run to a cashpoint!
However..... I don't really think I could do it.... or maybe i could ... then say "I'm messing THIS TIME.. but I'll refuse to take child if it happens again"
Can you let her know you understand finances are tight for everyone but you are struggling too?
best of luck:)

mary poppins
24-07-2009, 12:54 PM
Have always had problems with this too but have decided now that any new contracts I write will have a clause written into them that parents will have to sign to say they agree that the fees are due on the first of the month for the whole month and failure to receive them on time will mean late payment fees will be incurred at the rate of £5.00 for everyday late.

Annmarie
25-07-2009, 12:35 PM
a parent of a child i mind has just left over this type of situation. i had to text her to ask about payment as dad has been bring her and she has told me before dad don't have anything to do with money only her, tax credits is how she is paying, anyway on friday she caused a big hoha about me asking her for the money saying my job should be about minding the child and not the money, i need the money inorder to look after the children feeding, trips ect. She has left now anyway and i really don't care as she turned very nasty shouting and not letting me get any word in.:angry:

Goatgirl
25-07-2009, 07:50 PM
sorry to hear that Annmarie, sounds like an appalling woman. Your job shouldn't be about the money indeed!
what about 'the high standard of care should be more important to her than the money she has to pay for it'? cheek!
I agree, you're well rid of her.

bws,
wendy :-)