PDA

View Full Version : Working with another childminder...

Nix
07-07-2009, 09:45 PM
Hi girls...not been on much recently as I have a lot to think about! A friend, although we don't know each other that well, has approached me to work with her.

We'd work from her home on a 50/50 partnership basis. I'd just like to hear if any of you do this, have thought about it and what you think about it??

Thanks in anticipation:D

singlewiththree
08-07-2009, 06:01 AM
I haven't done it but me and my sister considered it as she feels her house is too small. We decided it wasn't viable as it would mean her getting her children out of the house at sill o'clock to get to mine to take children, I could see it not being a problem if your children were older. I will be interested to see the replies on both threads :)

Chatterbox Childcare
08-07-2009, 05:42 PM
Why would you want to do that? Is it because the work is slow?

Personally I like my space and freedom to do as I wish and make decisions on what my children need

I do see 2 other childminders during the week, usually 3 days.

Sorry if this sounds blunt but I was unsure how else to write it.

Monkey1
08-07-2009, 05:46 PM
Personally i wouldn't! I like Debbie like my freedom, but i reckon it would be hard to get your tax down etc as she will be claiming all the allowences if its at her home and all your money will be classed as earnings etc, it could get very messy!

Playmate
08-07-2009, 06:04 PM
I did it for a while before Mick gave up his job. My friend was struggling to get work in an upstairs flat with no garden and I was inundated with work! we used to work together 3 days and i had 2 on my own. It went a bit sour when she was pregnant and behaved as though she was dying of a terminal illness! I also found we had quite different standards which irritated me!
I have to be honest I find it much easier working with hubby, at least I can tell him what to do!!:laughing:

TheBTeam
08-07-2009, 06:12 PM
Personally I am with Sally on this one, if you are married to the other childminder it is one thing!

I think you are better off working on your own registration from your own home and just meeting up with each other some times for activities and company.

I have at least 4 other childminders that i love dearly and meet with a few times a week on neutral territory and we go to each others homes for visits, but no matter how close we are we all have slightly different ways of working and we would irritate each other i feel if we had to abide by anyone of our rules working together!

If you work together you are only allowed to care for a maximum of number of children (no more than double and sometimes less than double the sum of the two of you individually iyswim), so to be able to fully utilise the allowable expenses you need to operate from your own homes!

This way the differences in the ways you wish to work will not be so critical because you will always have your home to go to and time in each others houses isn't the same as working to someone elses standards full time!

Nix
08-07-2009, 09:20 PM
Gosh, some really interesting comments and none in favour!!

I am lucky that my daughter is 21 so don't have to consider her in this...she may prefer it as at least when she is on the late shift she would be able to sleep rather than being woken by the doorbell and the children!

Work is very busy in this area and I am turning people away all the time.

I think for the lady in question she doesn't meet many other childminders but attends groups etc. She has worked with her daughter and liked the company, the sharing of ideas and the workload.

I am lucky that I have childminding friends who I meet with regularly and I quite like my own company and my own space. I like the idea of company and the sharing of ideas and easing the paperwork burden!

It's going to be a difficult decision...any more comments...positive ones???

Thanks girls...

huggableshelly
09-07-2009, 09:05 AM
I've read with interest as contemplating gaining an assistant for afterschool care and holidays only.

But it scares me, i like MY space and I do things MY way, my Hubby says I am a control freak LOL and to be honest I've not worked as a team other than linking with other providers so not sure I'm ready to share my home and my routines with another especially as I will need to advertise for an assistant.

My Hubby was going to register but due to his contant shift change and the fact that he needs to be in Manchester for 3 months next year I cant rely on him to be here so would put me over my numbers.

I cant offer any possitive advice other than I enjoyed working with a student, she was great and just slotted in around me (couldnt be left alone at any time anyway) and if I could i would take her on as an assistant but she is staying on for 6th form so would be too much for her to work every day as well as finding time to study.

Chatterbox Childcare
12-07-2009, 01:36 PM
If I was working from my home then I wouldn't have a problem with it but I would want to be the one "in charge" and have the other childminder working along side me. I have worked too hard to have sometime else tarnish my reputation.

why don't you both be registered in your own right and meet each day?

Debbies Dinkies
22-07-2009, 06:24 PM
Hi Nix,

I can't give you any positive comments, other than i am about to start working with another childminder. I personally am looking forward to it. Some Adult conversation and shared workload, also one can be cooking or doing some paperwork, whilst the other plays with the Children.

We are both alike and have the same personalities, so fingers crossed. I'll keep you updated.

Debbie

lisa_vickers
23-07-2009, 07:30 PM
hi all just wondering how it works if u have an assistant can u have more kidies or dose all still go on how much space u have in ur home was thinking of employing my sister.

christinajanep
23-07-2009, 07:38 PM
My Friend does this with another childminder... they work from each others house on certain days and i have to say its taking its toll her.
They started off really well but now my friend feels she does everything all form planning to providing the other childminder with lunch, and that can cause tension.
If you get the ground rules set before u start and each other sticks to them u might find it works well

sweets
23-07-2009, 08:03 PM
If you get on well then i think it could probably work well, but i don't know about it being 50/50. How would you work out bills etc, it wouldn't be fair on whos ever house you were using to pay all the heating and electric for example and what about wear and tear on her house and food! and what if she was ill or on holiday, would you still be able to use her house? things like that would have to be made clear and put in writing before you started.

lisa_vickers
23-07-2009, 08:40 PM
all the childminding would be done in my house. how dose it work regarding the number of mindees u can have?

Ben10mad
23-07-2009, 09:54 PM
Personally i wouldn't! I like Debbie like my freedom, but i reckon it would be hard to get your tax down etc as she will be claiming all the allowences if its at her home and all your money will be classed as earnings etc, it could get very messy!

I agree with debbie and monkey :)

huggableshelly
24-07-2009, 05:54 AM
I've given this more thought and decided to manage on my own as couldnt warrent paying a wage and losing my freedom.

yesterday I had 8 children and a student with me (unpaid but wants to stay with me for the summer) she is lovely and cant be left with any children but she was a great help as she did craft whilst I played in the garden (can see the craft table from the garden) then she played a game with the older children whilst I played one with the younger children.

lunch was easier too, she did all the fetching whilst I stayed at the table then we both cleared away so yes it was handy to have her with me for the day but I couldnt sneak into the kitchen for a couple of minutes to make a fresh cuppa as that meant leaving her out of my sight.

sooo on that note of experience with a student I'm dropping the idea of sharing, my earnings are mine and cover my bills, I could do with a 9 seater car but the walking provides good exercise for us all and its doing our bit for the enviroment (and my bank account too lol).

so on that note good luck to those who feel they can team up with others on a daily bases. I'll be plodding on knowing I'll get wet and cold in the winter lol.