PDA

View Full Version : Am i too young?

Holly
18-02-2008, 07:20 PM
Do you think parents would think twice before allowing their children to stay with me? I'm only 18 do you think this is too young?

Schnakes
18-02-2008, 07:29 PM
I think as long as you can show good experience, a good touch with kids and be able to show that you are able to manage the kids, then I dont see why not.
I think people chose a childminder as much on how they get on with them than anything else.

Good luck,

Sx

Trouble
18-02-2008, 07:35 PM
i also think the same as schnakes, my son would make an excellent minder but hes only 14 its what you do that counts not how old you are.

namtasha
hi , do you have your own home? or are you still with parents??
i dont think i would be put off as long as you were the right person, no one will ask your age will they?? they might think she is young but no one will know

Twinkles
I agree. I had my first nannying job at sixteen.

Holly
18-02-2008, 07:37 PM
I look younger than 18 lol i give everyone a shock when i tell them my age :laughing: and i live with my parents ... for now ;)

namtasha
18-02-2008, 07:42 PM
are your parents supportive of you childminding?

Holly
18-02-2008, 07:43 PM
Yeah they just don't want any part of it lol

sarah707
18-02-2008, 07:44 PM
It might be an idea to get some advice from your local CIS - there are a number of younger childminders around, but many have prior experience either in a nursery, playgroup or with their own children.

You would also need the full support of your parents if you are living at home - it will be a big imposition on their home and their style of life if you had 3 under 5s in their house every day... :D

Twinkles
18-02-2008, 07:45 PM
Yeah they just don't want any part of it lol

Mmmm... thats going to be a bit hard as it does take over your house.:eek:

Holly
18-02-2008, 07:47 PM
Luckly they work :D

littlesprogs
18-02-2008, 07:49 PM
i dont think your too young. I am 20 and registered with no previous experiance of working with children and no children of my own yet.

I wouldn't childmind at my parents house though i would feel that its not fair on them. For eg what about when they are at home and just want to relax but you have 3 under 5's running around? or when you've done messy play and your mums carpet is ruined? What about all the toys and equipment you need? not to mention all the space for paperwork?

Twinkles
18-02-2008, 07:51 PM
i dont think your too young. I am 20 and registered with no previous experiance of working with children and no children of my own yet.

I wouldn't childmind at my parents house though i would feel that its not fair on them. For eg what about when they are at home and just want to relax but you have 3 under 5's running around? or when you've done messy play and your mums carpet is ruined? What about all the toys and equipment you need? not to mention all the space for paperwork?

And posters and certificates and childrens artwork on the wall.

Holly
18-02-2008, 07:55 PM
We already have a 30 month and a 18 month old running around the house so it would be any different really lol but they do go to nursery so not counted in my numbers .. hopefully lol and we have laminated flooring so no ruined carpets and our house is already flooded with toys :p
the posters and artwork i can pull down and put back up in the morning :p alot of work but it has to be done lol

deeb66
18-02-2008, 07:56 PM

I have to agree.

how would your parents feel about having to adapt their house and remove their valued objects like ornaments or have stair gates around, pull out dangerous plants in their garden.........the list is endless.

I don't mean to put a downer on this but I am not sure that it will work!

Twinkles
18-02-2008, 07:57 PM
We already have a 30 month and a 18 month old running around the house so it would be any different really lol but they do go to nursery so not counted in my numbers .. hopefully lol and we have laminated flooring so no ruined carpets and our house is already flooded with toys :p

Didn't mean to sound negative hun, good luck with it all xxx:thumbsup:

berkschick
18-02-2008, 08:00 PM
Are either of the children yours?

Holly
18-02-2008, 08:01 PM
well they're happy for me to do it here thats all that matters

Holly
18-02-2008, 08:02 PM
no they're not lol my parents got special guardianship over them, they are my neice and nephew

littlesprogs
18-02-2008, 08:02 PM
the posters and artwork i can pull down and put back up in the morning :p alot of work but it has to be done lol

Having 2 kids is abit different from having 6 under 8's though! I havent even started working yet and my house has been turned upside down. I've had to have new fencing put up. i've had to buy new furniture that is suitable, i've had to safe guard my garden put locks on certain doors etc etc.

Your parents would need to check with their mortgage company that it is ok to run a business from the property too (or your letting agents)

I think theres alot you need to sit and discuss with your parents before you go ahead.

what if the kids drew on the walls? Laminate flooring can still get damaged too.

berkschick
18-02-2008, 08:04 PM
I dont think your neice and nephew will count in your numbers, as long as you are not responsible for them in anyway.

Holly
18-02-2008, 08:07 PM
Having 2 kids is abit different from having 6 under 8's though! I havent even started working yet and my house has been turned upside down. I've had to have new fencing put up. i've had to buy new furniture that is suitable, i've had to safe guard my garden put locks on certain doors etc etc.

Your parents would need to check with their mortgage company that it is ok to run a business from the property too (or your letting agents)

I think theres alot you need to sit and discuss with your parents before you go ahead.

what if the kids drew on the walls? Laminate flooring can still get damaged too.

i have planning permission to do it ...

all your parents might not have been ok with it but mine are what part of that is hard to understand? non of you are gonna put me off, i am sure you'd all feel the same if everyone was saying this to you. Now i'm worried about my visit on monday! :(

berkschick
18-02-2008, 08:11 PM
I dont think anyone meant to upset you.

It came accross in the first few posts that maybe your parents werent too keen but if they are then thats great, good luck to you!

Twinkles
18-02-2008, 08:11 PM

all your parents might not have been ok with it but mine are what part of that is hard to understand? non of you are gonna put me off, i am sure you'd all feel the same if everyone was saying this to you. Now i'm worried about my visit on monday! :(

I'm sure that none of us wanted to put you off hun, we were just concerned that maybe you're mum and dad didn't know what they were letting themselves in for, and that maybe you didn't have their full support. Don't be disheartened , good luck for Monday.

littlesprogs
18-02-2008, 08:14 PM

my parents would have let me do it. But i wouldnt have put them through it all to be honest i would feel really guilty if a mindee damaged there house.

Were not trying to put you off at all but you need to seriously think about what you are asking of your parents and the impact it will have on them. It's one thing to have your niece and nephew there but they are family its different from having other peoples kids running around your house.

deeb66
18-02-2008, 08:20 PM

We really aren't trying to put you off Holly or assume that your parents will have a problem. We only know how difficult it is to adapt when we are in our own houses let alone someone else's. I am sorry that we have upset you we were only trying to bring our 'experience' into the mix.

Of course if you think it will work then go ahead and don't be worried.....I hope all goes well for your visit.....

Good luck :thumbsup:

manjay
18-02-2008, 08:32 PM

I would say go for it! If it is really what you want to do you will make it work. Good luck hun ;)

amanda xx

tulip0803
18-02-2008, 08:57 PM
Do you think parents would think twice before allowing their children to stay with me? I'm only 18 do you think this is too young?

I don't think it should be a problem. If you are mature and capable that will come across to parents:) .

Some parents may use that as an excuse. I have a dog, rats and an older child and they have all been used as excuses why they didn't want me. Others have thought these things were great. Rats got me one little girl:laughing: as her parents love them.

Not all childminders suit all parents and families - all you can do is do your best and be yourself:) .

Juliaxx

rachel1
19-02-2008, 07:49 PM
Hello Holly just thought I would add my support, I am also a young potential childminder, and I’m currently going through process of application.

I am just 19 and although I do not live with my parents I live with my boyfriend who, at first, was not keen on me childminding at all.

We both had to sit down and really discuss how it would affect the house, in the end I got my own way lol :laughing: only joking.

I think everyone else has being supporting you but like previously said maybe you should have a proper sit down with your parents to discuss this??

Hope everything goes ok for you. :thumbsup:
xx

Spangles
19-02-2008, 07:55 PM
Good luck with it Holly! Let us know how you get on!

Banana
19-02-2008, 08:08 PM
Hi Holly.

Nobody was trying to put you off. Just try and answer your questions and respond to your posts.

You said that your mum and dad want 'no part of it' - I think what the other members were saying is just that that will be impossible if you are minding in their home and were just enquring if you had sat down and gone through what childminding in your home does to the surroundings. Becuase believe me childminding will affect their lifes too.

I'm sorry if you were made to feel like you were being put off but everyone was just offering advice.

Best of luck for your meeting :)

x

RainbowMum
19-02-2008, 08:22 PM
Hello & welcome Holly, I hope the last few posts have reassured you that the members were not trying to put you off, only offering advice. I dont think 18 is too young to childmind, it depends much more on a persons maturity, I have known some very mature 18 year olds and I certainly know some very immature 40 year olds!!

Good luck with your visit on Monday xx:)

miffy
19-02-2008, 08:27 PM
Good luck on Monday Holly

If this is what you want to do then go for it

Miffy xx

angeldelight
20-02-2008, 06:21 AM
My daughter was 19 and is now 22 it never held her back at all and parents have always been happy to leave the children with her

Angel xx