PDA

View Full Version : EYFS Grids

Zoomie
06-07-2009, 08:58 PM
I am trying to start filling in the EYFS grids for my mindees, but I am finding it so difficult.

My mindee C is 4.5y so I have looked at the 30-50m and 40-60 month 'sections'.

I have filled in one or two bits of what I think the child has achieved either through what parents have told me or what I have so far observed. He has been with me for a month, and I have him every morning, and he goes to nursery in the afternoon, but it seems there is so much more that I am not even seeing.

I'm stuck actually and really don't know if I should even go further on this. I have all-about-me booklet from parents at start, and wanted to use the grids as starting points, but it is so difficult to pin point what the child has done, except if I was to do 1000 planned activities to see where they are, (or is this what I should be doing).

Oh, I don't know what I am doing, and mum is looking forward to seeing what I have done :panic: (she is a nursery nurse so knows her stuff) and I just feel so useless.:(

sophiestars
06-07-2009, 09:37 PM
Don't worry so much it's still early days if you have only had him for a month. You can only do what you see - don't beat yourself up over it. Have you made contact with his nursery to see if they will share any info with you about him? Maybe have a chat with his key worker one day if you are the one who drops him off. They may have observed things that you haven't seen in your setting.

At this stage you are still getting to know him and don't need to have loads filled out already.

singlewiththree
07-07-2009, 05:59 AM
Why not try and plan an activity which will hopefully let you see one of them, start small and you might find that you can tick off several with one activity. Try not to put pressure on yourself and take it one area at a time :) Like Sophie said perhaps have a word with his nursery and see where they are at?

sarah707
07-07-2009, 07:08 AM
don't forget you can make one activity fill in lots of the Eyfs bits... washing hands is physical development, psed and if they make bubbles it can be linked to KUW>

I'm not usually a great fan of linking to loads of different things, because you can drive yourself slightly potty, but if it works for you then think laterally :D