PDA

View Full Version : Would you agree to match someone else's charges?

Mummits
06-07-2009, 08:27 PM
I had a couple visit with their DS on Friday. They said they'd given their current childminder notice as their son was not happy, mainly because they think she gives all her attention to a new baby and never goes out any more.

Okay so they agree he will start with me next month, and to come back today to do contracts, but then Mum phoned today and said they had worked out how much more it will cost and they don't really want to pay any more than they do... Long pause. So I said that's a pity, my prices are competitive for this area and I know I'm one of few who offer term time only without charging for holidays. So, I wasn't inclined to budge, and have lost a customer, but think it's probably better not to have got off on a bad footing by being pressured to accept terms I don't think are fair.

Do others negotiate on fees, or just set a rate and stick to it?

Deb
06-07-2009, 08:33 PM
I think you did the right thing - I would possibly match someone else's fees as work is scarce here at the mo, but I wouldnt be selling myself short at all.

miffy
06-07-2009, 08:35 PM
I wouldn't have altered my price either for this family especially if you are not charging for the holidays and your price is already competitive.

They should have worked out the price difference before accepting the place but they may be back so I wouldn't give up on it just yet

Miffy xx

katickles
06-07-2009, 08:42 PM
I wouldn't have altered my price either for this family especially if you are not charging for the holidays and your price is already competitive.

They should have worked out the price difference before accepting the place but they may be back so I wouldn't give up on it just yet

Miffy xx

Totally agree - I think you did right :)

Chatterbox Childcare
06-07-2009, 08:55 PM
I would have done the same thing. I am never offended at not being chosen due to my costs. Something else will come along.

ORKSIE
06-07-2009, 09:13 PM
I totally agree. I charge what I charge, thats it:thumbsup:

sophiestars
06-07-2009, 09:29 PM
I agree. You charge what you charge because you do a great job. They weren't happy with the other childminder who it seems wasn't worth paying as much anyway. You would only have regretted it if you had agreed to lower your price. If they want to pay peanuts they will get a monkey!!

PixiePetal
06-07-2009, 09:41 PM
I have been considering lowering my charge to a family I currently mind. 2 siblings, 2 days a week at the moment. Need 3 longer days in Sept and nursery school would be cheaper as 3 yr old gets his free sessions.

Dad has new job starting - lower wage. Better prospects for the future.

I love the family to bits, had them since January.

If my rate was similar to nursery, I am wondering if they would stay? I am moving house, losing 2 mindees to full time school and these would have kept me going. Work is slow round here at the moment, but it would be quite a cut.

Will sleep on it :(

wendywu
06-07-2009, 10:26 PM
Yea i would agree to match someone else's charges so long as they were higher than mine :laughing:

You have done the right thing. :thumbsup:

Mari
07-07-2009, 12:23 AM
I think that you did the right thing.

I set my charges based on the childcare prices of this area, but there are some a little higher, some a little lower. It's a competetive market, but we only have limited spaces and if we charge too little then it would not be worth us working.
We have to manage our businesses ourselves and as managers we should set the prices, if we allow people to set prices for us then we will lose respect and professionalism. I sometimes feel that because I work from home then I am not always taken seriously as a business and people try to manipulate childminders in ways that they would not dream of doing to a nursery or creche. For this reason I will not match somebody else's prices, I will always review and reflect on my business and adjust areas, including prices, if I feel that it needs reviewing and other childminders fees are always taken into consideration when I do this, but I will not drop a price because another childminder is cheaper than me, if they are cheaper, then go and use them, if they want my fantastic service, then pay my prices! :p ;)

miffy
07-07-2009, 06:52 AM
I have been considering lowering my charge to a family I currently mind. 2 siblings, 2 days a week at the moment. Need 3 longer days in Sept and nursery school would be cheaper as 3 yr old gets his free sessions.

Dad has new job starting - lower wage. Better prospects for the future.

I love the family to bits, had them since January.

If my rate was similar to nursery, I am wondering if they would stay? I am moving house, losing 2 mindees to full time school and these would have kept me going. Work is slow round here at the moment, but it would be quite a cut.

Will sleep on it :(

Tricky one - have the family asked you to lower your fees?

If you make a concession for the 3yr old the family will probably expect it for the sibling too.

I would talk it over with them. Good luck

Miffy xx

LittleMissSparkles
07-07-2009, 07:35 AM
I've lost 2 potential parents this last 2 weeks due to fee's, they both booked a place with me technically and were bringing their retainer round for september and then i found out hey had booked a place with the other minder at our school ( we are friends ) and paid a months deposit to her instead of me, i charge 25p an hour more than her, but i will not be dropping my charges i think im worth 3.75 an hour xxx

The Juggler
07-07-2009, 01:41 PM
You get what you pay for - maybe that's why lo wasn't happy with cheaper minder!?