PDA

View Full Version : Maternity - advice please

pirateship
06-07-2009, 03:29 PM
My partner and I are thinking of trying for a baby. I just wondered what all of your experiences are of maternity and childminding?
How much time did you all take off?
Did you manage to keep hold of any of your mindees or did you have to start all over?
How did you all cope money-wise?
At the moment we split all bills right down the middle but if I can't work he would have to pay everything and support me and the baby - I think it would be too much of a struggle!
I just don't know if there's ever a good time to have a baby financially but I don't want to put it off for too much longer! Help!:(

pirateship
07-07-2009, 12:00 PM
So nobody's got any maternity/childminding experience......?

jellytot
07-07-2009, 12:03 PM
sorry I dont but I am sure someone will be along soon to help out

littlesprogs
07-07-2009, 12:10 PM
If you search the forum theres is lots of posts on maternity and childminding.

katickles
07-07-2009, 02:12 PM
Theres been a few of these questions recently - check the forum babies section you'll get loads of info there :)

pirateship
07-07-2009, 03:02 PM
Really? Brilliant, I'll have a look. Did have a go the other day but couldn't see anything. Obviously looking in the wrong place! Cheers!

Spangles
07-07-2009, 03:24 PM
Hope you find the info, there is loads on here.

Try Forum Babies may be there or put 'maternity' etc into the search facility and see what it brings up.

Mouse
07-07-2009, 03:32 PM
I've had 2 babies since starting childminding.

Both times I took about 3 months off work (a month before baby due & 2 months after). My mindees went to other minders or to family while I was off, but all came back to me.

Moneywise, I saved as much as possible from the times I knew I was pregnant, so that I had money to keep me going while I wasn't working. Check out tax credits etc as you might be able to claim something from when the baby is born.
As you haven't even started trying yet, you could have quite a while until you take any maternity leave. Start saving now to cover yourself for then.

IamJen
12-07-2009, 04:14 PM
My husband and I are working on starting a family as well, but I don't have advice on managing this yet. However, can't you apply for Maternity Allowance? It's not a lot, but better than nothing (could be as much as 123 quid per week) http://www.jobcentreplus.gov.uk/JCP/Customers/WorkingAgeBenefits/Dev_008115.xml.html

My partner and I are thinking of trying for a baby. I just wondered what all of your experiences are of maternity and childminding?
How much time did you all take off?
Did you manage to keep hold of any of your mindees or did you have to start all over?
How did you all cope money-wise?
At the moment we split all bills right down the middle but if I can't work he would have to pay everything and support me and the baby - I think it would be too much of a struggle!
I just don't know if there's ever a good time to have a baby financially but I don't want to put it off for too much longer! Help!:(