PDA

View Full Version : Who has a cricut?

Stanfield
06-07-2009, 09:34 AM
After reading a previous thread ...
I have looked on ebay ... These cricut machines look pretty complicated... how do they work? Cartridges, blades, cutting matts!!??
Once you have bought the machine are they expensive to run?:huh:

angiemog
06-07-2009, 10:16 AM
Hi,
I have a cricut as I do alot of scrapbooking. Start up costs are expensive. The blades and mats last ages if you use them correctly. The problem I have is the cost of cartridges. They are around £30-£50. Luckily I have a friend who has nearly every cartridge produced so I'm able to borrow hers. Cutting bits out is time consuming but not complicated. I actually prefer the sizzixs myself but that is time consuming too.
Personally I wouldn't use mine to cut bits out for childminding the only think I want to do is make some multi cultural people.
Basically you pick a cartridge there are loads of different ones ...... key in what you want ie a name or item heart flower...., add the card which sticks to the cutting mat and press cut. I love my cricut but for how much its costs and how much I use it I'm not sure it's worth it for me. Some craft stores do demos I would recommend going and having a watch before you buy one. Let me know if you want any more info.

aly
06-07-2009, 10:20 AM
I used to work in a craft shop, and I know a childminder that got one. she claims half of the cricut ss she uses it both for personal and cm. she uses the mask ones and uses the largest size for masks etc.

It is very expensive at first but if it is something you want to do for a long while it could be a good investment.

Go along [if possible] to a demo or most craft shops have them on display anyway. I would also say check ebay out as they have a new version out now so the older one will be cheaper.

xx

candy cat
06-07-2009, 10:28 AM
I work in Hobbycraft at weekends so if any of you need advice or help i know loads of people who can advise cx

sonia ann
06-07-2009, 10:32 AM
After reading a previous thread ...
I have looked on ebay ... These cricut machines look pretty complicated... how do they work? Cartridges, blades, cutting matts!!??
Once you have bought the machine are they expensive to run?:huh:

I read the same thread and had to look on ebay to find out about them....I'll be interested to read the answers:)

rickysmiths
06-07-2009, 10:41 AM
Hi there I have one and I love it. I have the original one and if I bought now I would definately get the Expression. It cuts very well, it took me a few goes to get used to it and what works best. I use it for lots of things, cardmaking, scrapbooking, titles for displays at Scouts and for cm.

It is quite straighforward to use. You have a cutting mat that is slightly sticky so that the paper or card doesn't slip as it feeds through the machine.
There are pattern cartridges that fit in the bottom of the machine and a plastic keyboard mat that fits over the keys on the top. You then select the pattern you want to cut and it appears on a small screen. There is a size selection dial on the front of the machine, on mine I can go from 1/2inch to 51/2 inches in height. On the other side is the dail to select the depth of the blade. Away you go.

It doesn't cost very much to run. You have to replace the cutting mats it really depends how much you use the machine but they last a long time, they cost about £8 for a pack of two. Blades also need replacing. I knackered one cutting glitter card at Christmas! :laughing: Apart from that I haven't had a new one in two years.

The cartridges are not cheap but |I have gradually added to my collection I got some for good prices last year at the Craft Shows at Alexandra Palace in London and Hobbycraft have just had some in their sale. I have just invested in the software package for using it with the computer. I haven't had time to play with it yet.

They are adding to the system all the time. They have just brought out a new cutter housing so you can cut deeper materials like chipboard, you can use pens and I have done lots of outlines for childminding using them.

Is there a Craft shop near where you could go and see one working?
have you been on the ukScrapers Forum there is loads of info there and offers for sale.

Do let us know what you do won't you?

sonia ann
06-07-2009, 11:50 AM
I have a Hobbycraft down the road from me......I think I'll go and have a look:)

Stanfield
07-07-2009, 09:53 AM
I have a Hobbycraft down the road from me......I think I'll go and have a look:)

Me Too ... Thanks for the help x

childmind04
07-07-2009, 08:04 PM
I have just invested in the software package for using it with the computer. I haven't had time to play with it yet.

I got the software surecutsalot and this is fab i can cut ANYTHING, i will still buy some cartridges but not alphabet ones anymore as this does them better, i had a craft robo too but never used it once i got my create

I would be lost without mine now, i have done loads all the shapes etc needed for cards, themes, plus display bits :)

And yes half of mine went through my books as i use it more for minding than i do for scrapbooking :)

Twinkles
07-07-2009, 08:05 PM
I had a 'Cuttlebug' the year before last for Christmas. I really must take it out of the box :D

rickysmiths
07-07-2009, 08:10 PM
I got the software surecutsalot and this is fab i can cut ANYTHING, i will still buy some cartridges but not alphabet ones anymore as this does them better, i had a craft robo too but never used it once i got my create

I would be lost without mine now, i have done loads all the shapes etc needed for cards, themes, plus display bits :)

And yes half of mine went through my books as i use it more for minding than i do for scrapbooking :)

What is this? Does it work with the circut and where did you buy it?

Sorry about all the questions.

childmind04
07-07-2009, 09:14 PM
yes it works on the cricut, cost about £45 and you can make images/shapes to cut but there are loads freely available, you just need it installed on pc then use the usb cable and its so simple, insert pic and size it on the on screen cutting mat and cut :) to me this has made the cricut so much more usable :)

Have a search, ukscrappers have a group about it :)

rickysmiths
08-07-2009, 05:21 PM
yes it works on the cricut, cost about £45 and you can make images/shapes to cut but there are loads freely available, you just need it installed on pc then use the usb cable and its so simple, insert pic and size it on the on screen cutting mat and cut :) to me this has made the cricut so much more usable :)

Have a search, ukscrappers have a group about it :)

Thanks for that. I have actually found some info though an American forum but will have a look at ukscrappers tonight. I have an evening in, meeting at Childrens Centre cancelled :clapping: