PDA

View Full Version : Advice Please - need to sort this out NOW!

Schnakes
18-02-2008, 09:46 AM
Morning all,

How are you all? I havent been on for a while due to work etc...there seems to be loads of lovely new members, and lots of catching up to do! :clapping:

Anyway...just wanted some advice really. It seems that 3 of my 4 sets of parents have suddenly decided its okay to turn up up to 1/2 an hour EARLY recently and its really starting to pee me off. Unfortunately I have nothing to cover this in my P&Ps as I didnt even think of it (and yes - my clocks are right!! :D ). I want to rectify this situation quickly and as painlessly as possible. Any advice please? I feel like just not opening the door really!

Cheers,
Sx

Lou
18-02-2008, 09:48 AM
dont open the door until its time for them to arrive!!!!!!

LittleMissSparkles
18-02-2008, 09:50 AM
I d do a letter to all parent explaining that children are not to arrive before their contracted times as you are not insured to have them before then, if parents have having difficulty getting to work on time you will be more than happy to revise their contracts accordingly or add on the extra time to their invoices to cover yourself on insurances etc

usually does the trick , it worked with my parents xxx

angeldelight
18-02-2008, 09:51 AM
I agree with Lou

My parents still arrive early every day and I know hes not happy but I now open the door 5 min early and that is that

What can they say

Just look at your watch if they moan and say " oh your early "

They should get the hint

If not then put it in a newsletetter about parents arriving early

Good luck

Angel xx

Twinkles
18-02-2008, 09:52 AM
Do you have a clock in your house thats clearly visible to them as they drop off? I would make a point of writing down the time they arrive in front of them and say 'It looks like we'll have to revise your hours on our contract or you will end up paying more for my out of hours fees'.

Rubybubbles
18-02-2008, 10:17 AM
Do you have a clock in your house thats clearly visible to them as they drop off? I would make a point of writing down the time they arrive in front of them and say 'It looks like we'll have to revise your hours on our contract or you will end up paying more for my out of hours fees'.

thats what I would do, before 8am it's £1.50 per 1/4 and out of contract (not pre arranged):D

deeb66
18-02-2008, 10:32 AM
I have suffered with this problem in the past and have done what Angel has suggested and it worked.

I made it pretty obvious that they were early and that unless they let me know I will not be ready to open the door until 5 mins before contract time and that if they arrive earlier than that then I suggest that they sit in the car and wait......especially in cold weather!

sarah707
18-02-2008, 10:42 AM
I have my attendance register and a clock sitting on a shelf near the door and parents are used to seeing me writing in it every time they arrive or leave...

So I just do like Twinkles and mutter about revising their contracts... not thought about the insurance one though... hmmm good one! :D

Banana
18-02-2008, 11:51 AM
I would not open the door for a couple of mornings and see if they take the hint.

Then I would mention about the contract times.

It is a real paing in the wotsit when they arrive early

x

miffy
18-02-2008, 12:03 PM
I don't answer the door before 8am (by my watch) and that is that!

Miffy xx

Spangles
18-02-2008, 02:50 PM
Can't you just say to them that you're really sorry but you can't accept their children so much earlier than their contracted times? Just say that you are unable to make plans or get things done with children turning up unexpectedly early, you're really sorry but if they want to change their hours you can talk about it, if not they can really only be maximum of 5 minutes early.

I don't think that sounds rude and can't see the problem of just saying it like it is, you can say it nicely? Would that work?

HilaryT
18-02-2008, 06:23 PM
Hi

If parents arrive earlier or later than their agreed contracted times I just amend their bills accordingly. So if they come early or late they pay extra. I bill per 1/4 hour at a time. Parents soon get the hang of it!

Childminding would be so much easier without the parents!! (or the children as well come to think of it!)

Hilary

Schnakes
18-02-2008, 07:01 PM
Ha! I like your post Hilary!!

I have typed up a Newsletter stating this:

Policy Reminder

Please remember to drop off your child at the correct contracted hour, and collect them on or before the correct contracted hour.
I cannot have your child on my premises outside of the contracted hours for insurance reasons, unless agreed otherwise. I may have to implement an early drop off/late collection fee if this remains to be a problem. Please check with me if you are unclear about your contracted hours or the implementation of said fee.

I thought it sounded a bit harsh,but then reminded myself that a) Im not getting paid for the extra time, b) nurseries dont open their doors till opening time and c) these people signed contracts with me. If Im going to be a proper business then I need to act like one.

Have sent them out tonight (before I changed my mind!!). Anyone who doesnt pick up/drop off at the wrong times shouldnt have a problem, I reckon??

What do you think?

Sx

crazybones
18-02-2008, 07:18 PM
Sounds perfect to me.

Annie x

Schnakes
18-02-2008, 07:21 PM
Cheers Annie! :thumbsup:

I just hope no-one notices that I havent actually got a policy relating to this...!!! :blush:

Sx

jumpinjen
18-02-2008, 07:23 PM
Nice one!!

I would rather do it by letter too, cos I shake if i have to be confrontational about anything, even if it's only a tiny bit confrontational!

I'd struggle not to open the door til contract time as my dog would bark incessantly and drive me crackers!!!!

Hope it works.... think you should add the overtime fees clause in to your next update of your contracts or any new ones you take on too!!

It's all a learning process!!

Jenni x

Trouble
18-02-2008, 07:28 PM
surely your contract is your policy in this case good luck anyway:clapping:

hello kitty
18-02-2008, 08:16 PM
Hi I had a parent whose contracted time was 7.15 a.m. and used to turn up earlier. I wouldn't open the door until then and after she complained that she had been waiting for me to open the door I said I was outside feeding my rabbits before her daughter was actually due and couldn't hear the doorbell.

Sarah :)

Schnakes
20-02-2008, 01:03 PM
I dont belive it...after handing out my policy reminder to everyone yesterday....Im sat there finishing my lunch and theres a knock on the door...its A, 10 mins early as per usual!!!

I think its going to have to get blunt and to the point, cos obviously softly softly catchee monkey is not the way to go. :panic:

Sx

angeldelight
20-02-2008, 01:10 PM
Dont answer the door !

xx

Rubybubbles
20-02-2008, 01:51 PM
oh dear?? whta in the letter didn't they get:rolleyes:

Spangles
20-02-2008, 02:14 PM
She probably just doesn't understand that this is a problem because generally when you have an appointment to go somewhere it's polite to be early but in this case it's incredibly rude!

I think you should just not open the door for a couple of times, say you're on toilet! Or in the back, or having a nap or whatever until the message is received! Or, just politely explain why it's not acceptable to bring the child that early.

jmoff
20-02-2008, 02:51 PM
oh dear, maybe she didn't read the letter?!

Give them another copy and if she carries on tell her if she needs extra hours you can review your contract.

Good luck with this one.

Jana x

wendywu
20-02-2008, 11:49 PM
I dont think 5 or 10 minutes is a problem. I would be annoyed at 30min though. I have two of mine arrive at 7.50am not 8am, but i must admit that they did ask first if it was alright.

Do it the other way round and ask for the child to be collected say 30 or even 60 min early when you have an appointment. Then see if they try to dock your money and you can state that they have extra time they do not pay for so it all works out even. That should stop them.:laughing:

miffy
21-02-2008, 09:12 AM
Oh dear looks like you are going to have to be very blunt on this one!

Either tell her or pin a note on the door saying you are not available until...... whatever time the contract starts so she sees it before she rings the doorbell

Good luck I don't envy you

Miffy xx

littletreasures
21-02-2008, 09:23 AM
I had this problem. Dad arrived every day 15 minutes early. I had to get my daughter to Brownies on a Friday night and asked Mum (who collected) if she could pick mindee up 15 minutes early each Friday. She said fine, but what do we do about money, just take off 1/4 hour money? Must be honest, I flipped then. I said "I don't think so, as X arrives 1/4 hour early every day" That soon shut her up.

Jules

Tatia
21-02-2008, 10:24 AM
I just hope no-one notices that I havent actually got a policy relating to this...!!!
Go ahead and write a policy for the future (seems a good idea as then it is in plan writing) but I would think the contract is sufficient as it will clearly state the hours that you are contracted for.

I just responded to a similar question on another thread and the more I think about it, the more I'd be inclined to not answer the door and then say "oh sorry, wasn't expecting you til such and such a time so I was out in the garden" or something.

miss muffit
21-02-2008, 10:36 AM
Hi I would ask them if they want to change the contract hours... usually...because they have to pay for extra time they get the hint and arrive on time...my minding friend doesnt answer the door, all i get then is parents ringing the door bell and even getting their little one to bang on the door hand or foot their not bothered ohh such joy!!!
K:) :) :)

Schnakes
21-02-2008, 01:28 PM
Well, I wrote another (more specific) letter....she showed up on time today!!! :clapping: Didnt seem to be annoyed or anything...was expecting a bit of huffiness...I just hope that this doesnt mean she has taken me 100% literally and never arrives to pick her son up early from now on! That would be just my luck!!!

So thats one down...we'll see how tommorow goes with the other two! :D

I think that babies mum is going to be the most difficult..I always seem to be having problems with her. :( I'll be back to update tommorow!

Cheers for all the advice and support,

Sx

jmoff
21-02-2008, 02:03 PM
well done you!
Good luck with the others!

Jana x

Cheeky Chops
21-02-2008, 02:29 PM
I had a lady do this! I just wrote them a letter stating for insurance purposes I could only have them the contracted hours. I did explain that this was my job and if they went to work and expected to start 15 or 20 mins earlier, they would want paying for it and probably wouldnt do it.

They got the hint, they did sometimes turn up 5mins early but they were early to pick them up too, so it balanced out.

tis a reet pain int jacksy tho!!

hehe! hope you get this sorted hun!! x

Tatia
25-02-2008, 04:54 PM
I just hope that this doesnt mean she has taken me 100% literally and never arrives to pick her son up early from now on! That would be just my luck!!!
I think people assume they are paying for a certain number of hours and if they collect their child early, they should be able to drop them off earlier to compensate. I now spell this out very clearly during the first meeting, that payment is for contracted times, not actual hours worked. And thanks to this thread, I'm adding it to my ever growing policy list.

RedDragon
26-02-2008, 08:05 AM
Hi,

Wanted to say I am a bit of a reader rather than a poster on this forum - I've gained some terrific advice.

Regarding policies - I've just counted my policies and would you believe - wait for it - I have 51

:laughing:

Every week I am going to pop a policy into the children's bookbags so that the parents are aware and don't get bogged down by having to read every single policy at the beginning (although to cover myself I will give them the opportunity to read every one before they sign my contract).

I also leave the folder that contains the policies (and other stuff that's not confidential) in the hallway for the parents to look at if they want to.

I also have a visitor's book where I just quickly write in who has visited while the minded children are present and I also have a complaints/compliments book that anyone can write in the leave a comment. PHEW! LOL

Regarding the early arrival I just wouldn't open the door and then send a little note in the bookbags saying please don't bring the kids early as I have lots to do beforehand and that if it happens again you will add the time to the next invoice. I find detailed invoices work for me because you can add the extra without having to do it face to face.

button68
26-02-2008, 10:20 AM
Parents turned up 5 mins early today, was just about ready for a change! Made me think of this thread though.

Unless this became a problem/regular then I would have to think long and hard about speaking to them about it because although they are contracted until 5.30 they always collect around 4pm.

If I split hairs over 5mins they could easily leave the kids with me until 5.30 :cool: - I like the early dart because I have clubs I have to take my kids to ;)

emmadines
27-02-2008, 02:25 PM
Ive also got on mine that late drop offs do not consitute late pick ups

I wont be opening the door till its time! I wll just keep my curtains shut!

wendywu
27-02-2008, 02:34 PM
The only thing i think we have to be careful of is one of the advantages we have over a nursery is that we can be flexible. I think that if for example you had someone 10 hours a day 5 days a week at £4.00 per hour i dont think in all fairness you wouldnt want to quibble about 5min early or 10 min late now and then.
On the other hand if a parent is always 30min early then we have every right to be cross. I think each case needs to be played by ear. After all we could end up cutting off our nose to spite our face, or biting the hand that feeds us.:eek: