PDA

View Full Version : notice and charges

It's a small world
01-07-2009, 11:10 AM
Hi

I'm a newly registered childminder...just as I think I've got things in order something else comes up.

This time its notice period. Looking at some of the threads everyone seems to give 4 weeks.

hyperthetically (sp) if I have a child who doesn't settle or i'm not happy with blah blah I just want to check the steps to take.

1-speak with parents to work with them to find a solution.
2-If after several attempts nothing seems to be working I give 4 weeks notice to parents?
3-What happens if parents decide not to keep child with me for those four weeks. Do I charge ???????
4- Where would I put about notices and charges (fees page)
5-Is there anything on the NCMA contract about this or would I put it somewhere else , as would prefer to have something in writing for parents to sign that they agree with this procedure?

Am I making sense???????:huh:

Also if parents terminate contract with me and decide to take child before 4 weeks notice completed does step3 -5 come into effect. I know it may be hard to get money form parents but if I have it in writing I have something to work on.

Sorry to go on......

huggableshelly
01-07-2009, 11:29 AM
to start with i offer a months contract where either party can terminate at any time if the agreed contract is not suiting either party or the child is not benefiting.

after the month contract (use ncma short terms these cover 29 days) i then do a full contract with 4 wks notice from either side. notice period must be paid for unless alternative agreement has taken place ... for instnace I had a child in my care who put another child in danger, after 3 warnings and a shocking incident I terminated there and then (this is not advised by the NCMA) I broke the agreed contract but had to in order to protect the others in my care.

yes ... working in partnership with parents policiy

2-If after several attempts nothing seems to be working I give 4 weeks notice to parents?
come up with an action plan, expalin you will hand out warnings for incidents such as no fees or bad behaviour. If the child is clearly unhappy with me I would talk again with the parents and come to an agreement that any outstanding fees are to be paid but in the childs interest I would suggest the care I provide ends imediatly or once they have found alternative childcare... i do not know if this is the right way but cant see a child constantly upset in my setting just because of the 4 wk rule.

3-What happens if parents decide not to keep child with me for those four weeks. Do I charge ???????
If parents terminate contracts with you they are to pay the fee unless its due to the reason in reply 2, then i would be working for a compromise putting the child first. if you terminate its hard i know but you must give the 4 wks notice which must be paid for if hours are used .... again others do things differently this is how i do it.

all on your fees page under organisation where parents can see also add it to their contract in the big box on page 2 of the ncma contract.

5-Is there anything on the NCMA contract about this or would I put it somewhere else , as would prefer to have something in writing for parents to sign that they agree with this procedure?
I give a copy of all my policies to all parents and new copies when they are updated, i have a chart that parents must initial to state they have read the policy then they sign print name and date at the bottom.
If you update remember to discuss changes with your parents and give them a copy, again get them to sign to say they have read it.

I know others do things differently but hoping what I've offered you is of some use.

It's a small world
01-07-2009, 12:14 PM
to start with i offer a months contract where either party can terminate at any time if the agreed contract is not suiting either party or the child is not benefiting.

after the month contract (use ncma short terms these cover 29 days) i then do a full contract with 4 wks notice from either side. notice period must be paid for unless alternative agreement has taken place ... for instnace I had a child in my care who put another child in danger, after 3 warnings and a shocking incident I terminated there and then (this is not advised by the NCMA) I broke the agreed contract but had to in order to protect the others in my care.

yes ... working in partnership with parents policiy

come up with an action plan, expalin you will hand out warnings for incidents such as no fees or bad behaviour. If the child is clearly unhappy with me I would talk again with the parents and come to an agreement that any outstanding fees are to be paid but in the childs interest I would suggest the care I provide ends imediatly or once they have found alternative childcare... i do not know if this is the right way but cant see a child constantly upset in my setting just because of the 4 wk rule.

If parents terminate contracts with you they are to pay the fee unless its due to the reason in reply 2, then i would be working for a compromise putting the child first. if you terminate its hard i know but you must give the 4 wks notice which must be paid for if hours are used .... again others do things differently this is how i do it.

all on your fees page under organisation where parents can see also add it to their contract in the big box on page 2 of the ncma contract.

I give a copy of all my policies to all parents and new copies when they are updated, i have a chart that parents must initial to state they have read the policy then they sign print name and date at the bottom.
If you update remember to discuss changes with your parents and give them a copy, again get them to sign to say they have read it.

I know others do things differently but hoping what I've offered you is of some use.

Yes very helpful thanks..hopefully things won't come to the above unless the child is at the age they don't require a childminder or alternative arrangements have been made ie grandparents etc.

Thanks again

Deb
01-07-2009, 01:25 PM
the ncma contracts have section for settling in periods where either party can give notice and no further fees are due, after this (and you should date it) 4 weeks notice are due - you can decide to take 1 week if you wish, or 1.5 week or anything else that works for you. I usually do 2 weeks notice and make that amount the deposit and then use it for the end of the conttact.