PDA

View Full Version : does this seem alot of money?

edayhouse
30-06-2009, 12:50 PM
Hello
Well i am relatively new to childminding and was looking for some advice...

I was due to start 3 afterschoolers once summer hols were over but parent called and asked if i could take them in summer hols too - fine

She has twins aged 6 and and older sister aged 11

My normal fees are £4 per hour - term time or school time they stay the same but since the kids are all from the same family i am giving them a discount
1st child £4 per hour, other 2 £3 per hour (think it is a bit much but have signed contracts now so....)
So in effect she will be paying me £10 per hour and i am due to have them for 3 days in holidays and same 3 days in term time but only afterschool care (hope this makes sense)

So in school hols she wil be paying me £240 per week
School term time around £80 per week

Does this seem alot of money for school holidays for someone to pay out??

Also she said that she may finish early some days but surely if i am keeping the places open for her for 3 days per week (8 hours per day) then she should still pay me for those hours even if she does pick them up early or am i being mean?

I have also asked for payment in advance -on the monday of the week childminding is taking place and for her to set up a standing order

I am rambling but my question is am i charging too much?
x

margimum
30-06-2009, 01:10 PM
does not seem much to me. in fact i would not have given such generous discounts as 1 place is within your registered numbers. hope you can get term time only littlies as you will have to save places for hols.
also, picking up early will not affect price for contracted time if you have it written down.

Chatterbox Childcare
30-06-2009, 01:58 PM
I think you have been more than generous. I would have had a higher rate for the twins because they are under 8 and a discount for the older one. Be aware if the older ones leaves as that was the higher rate.

I charge £14 per night after school per person so you are very competative but it depends on where you live.

RedDragon
30-06-2009, 02:55 PM
I don't give discounts - I have 3 children from the same family.

I have them after school every day and all holidays 8hrs a day.

I add everything up, take off my holidays then divide by 52

That way parents are able to afford to pay in the holidays by paying the same amount every week.

Heaven Scent
30-06-2009, 03:52 PM
AllI can say is she must have a good job and it must be paying her to do this otherwise she wouldn't be so try not to worry about it too much. - she will have weighed up the pros and cons before asking you- well I hope she has.

Deb
30-06-2009, 06:02 PM
It is a lot of money, but that is how much it costs to have a childminder. You are being very generous there.

Deb
30-06-2009, 06:04 PM
I just did a quick calc and if you had 2 weeks holiday then she would be paying 117 a week all year round. It might be worth having a word with her and asking if she would like to do that, much easier for budgeting for both of you. She would pay that 52 weeks(your 2 weeks hols already accounted for and taken off)

Allie
30-06-2009, 06:09 PM
As you offer reduced rates don't make it any less by reducing fee for early pickup or you will be losing out

Allie

FussyElmo
30-06-2009, 06:16 PM
I just did a quick calc and if you had 2 weeks holiday then she would be paying 117 a week all year round. It might be worth having a word with her and asking if she would like to do that, much easier for budgeting for both of you. She would pay that 52 weeks(your 2 weeks hols already accounted for and taken off)

I do this too my parents find it easier that having to find a lot more in the holid:) ays

Blaze
30-06-2009, 06:27 PM

I don't do this as if they end up not staying for/or leaving part way through a year you end up out of pocket.

tigger
30-06-2009, 06:32 PM
I don't think you are charging too much at all. I have 2 children from the same family and I charge £4.25 per hour for both of them and £20 per day when I have the older one before and after school. I give them meals and pick them up in the mornings and don't charge extra for this. If she went to someone else she would have to pay more probably anyway.:)

The Juggler
30-06-2009, 08:12 PM
if they were 3 children from different families you wouldn't be considering the discount so of course not too much. That's your hourly rate so you have been more than generous.

edayhouse
01-07-2009, 01:54 PM
Hi
Many thanks for your replies
The parents came round with the children today for a coffee for 1/2 hour and to see show the kids around properly before they arrive tomorrow - the kids had a whale of a time in the garden and didnt want to go home which is a good sign!

I gave the parents my fees list last week and she said today she is going to set up a standing order for Monday so fingers crossed it will all go through ok.

I have decided against giving them the option of paying over the course of the year just in case i end up out of pocket - this has happened before so....

The kids have been to 2 different childminders since they were born and are now coming to me (childminders gave up after only a shorttime childminding)

Anyway if all goes ok i am hoping to buy a wooden play centre with extra money i am going to make as i wasnt going to be working over the summer hols.

Once again thanks for advice guys
x

Lady Haha
02-07-2009, 05:11 AM
Just a quickie! If she is paying by standing order, make sure she knows she has to have it going out of her account on the Wed or Thu the week before to give it time to get to your account by Monday!

angeldelight
02-07-2009, 09:02 AM
Good luck hope it works out for you

Angel xx

Andrea08
02-07-2009, 11:22 AM
I don't give discounts - I have 3 children from the same family.

I have them after school every day and all holidays 8hrs a day.

I add everything up, take off my holidays then divide by 52

That way parents are able to afford to pay in the holidays by paying the same amount every week.

hi i was thinking of doing it this way but if the family leave b4 12mths then we loose out dont we?

anyway i had x2 children from same family and it was £150 each a week so £300 before she started school,, you have given a fair price hun x