PDA

View Full Version : Next steps.

FussyElmo
29-06-2009, 05:44 PM
Ok might be a silly question but when we write our next steps down is there a time limit to when we should have done them.. Just updating my folder and realised that I havent done some of the next steps from a few months back. Should I make try and do an activity that involves this.

Also we were told on a obs and planning course that you should have next step planning again is there a time limit on this. We were also told we had to have spontaneous planning!!

TheBTeam
29-06-2009, 05:52 PM
As far as i am concerned the next steps shouldn't be pushed to achieve it should take as long as the child needs, other wise we should just have a tick list and coach each child until we can tick it off!

I was led to believe the point of the next step and the obs was to ensure you know where the child is at and going to, not to give us a list of things that he must achieved to our timescale!

What i think i am saying is, is that there is not a specific time for the next steps, but we should be aware and look to resource the stuff to facilitate the child to achieve them, ie dont push him but provide the stuff should they want to.

I do not set timescales to complete the next steps, but give the chance and the opportunities to get there. We were also told that most obs should be done during freeplay, so by nature most next steps would be highlighted during freeplay so it seems odd then to put in forced next steps, iyswim!

Does anyone think different, cos i would be interested to know what you think too!

FussyElmo
29-06-2009, 06:01 PM
Tbh thats what I thought that it was becoming more of a tick list oh yes mindee has done this lets move to the next step achieved that move on.

I do my planning very child related so i will struggle to do the next steps from my planning and I dont want to be sitting their thinking I must do that next step.

Think I am confusing myself never mind you lot:blush:

sarah707
29-06-2009, 06:05 PM
Most of my next steps are about consolidating something or providing more resources to support a child's interest...

I do go back to them and check the child is moving on but I don't make a note to state that is happening, as by then the child is usually interested in something else anyway.

It's a continuous process rather than a specific 'yes that's happened now what next?' in this house :D

TheBTeam
29-06-2009, 06:10 PM
Most of my next steps are about consolidating something or providing more resources to support a child's interest...

I do go back to them and check the child is moving on but I don't make a note to state that is happening, as by then the child is usually interested in something else anyway.

It's a continuous process rather than a specific 'yes that's happened now what next?' in this house :D

Having read how you have described it, i feel similar and although i write it down my next steps are not so specific as to be climb the stairs, jump or whatever it is more general, ie showed an interest in mark making with crayons for instance but they did not have strong enough hands to make enough of mark to remain interested, so would have as next step that more mark making equipment should be available, ie water, chalk, cornflour silk, to make marks more easily,

PixiePetal
29-06-2009, 06:11 PM
My next steps are very simple. Not a checklist of progression.

We have been 'painting' the fence with water - 4 yr old noticed it was drying off so talked about the sun and effects (bright little chap anyway, great conversations and understanding) He did dolls clothes washing and we waited for them to dry, checking through the day. Doing ice cubes melting this week and making ice lollies to eat the next day - more melting and effects of heat.

More of a note to self about other things to try - I call it moving on :thumbsup:

sarah707
29-06-2009, 06:11 PM
Having read how you have described it, i feel similar and although i write it down my next steps are not so specific as to be climb the stairs, jump or whatever it is more general, ie showed an interest in mark making with crayons for instance but they did not have strong enough hands to make enough of mark to remain interested, so would have as next step that more mark making equipment should be available, ie water, chalk, cornflour silk, to make marks more easily,

Exactly! :D

FussyElmo
29-06-2009, 06:17 PM
That is how I have been doing it. Think what has confused the DO who ran the planning and obs course has sent some planning sheets through. One is next steps planning and with the six areas underneath and a spontaneous planning again with the six areas.

So I was going through my obs for the next steps and realised that some i hadnt done some. I didnt want my learning journey to become so regimented wanted it to be natural:)

Think i will put these planning sheets away and stick to what I was doing:)