PDA

View Full Version : EYFS IN THE HOLIDAYS?

HENNY
28-06-2009, 07:52 PM
During the summer hols I will have some older children while they are off school.Do you all carry on with the EYFS with the younger ones or do you do it but less intensely?:D

Mollymop
28-06-2009, 07:55 PM
A bit less intensely.
After all it is the school hols.:)

But I do like to keep their folders in order, so I do the odd informal ob in the summer hols and pics and pictures they have done while they are painting, sticking, etc, but that is it.

Remember, schools, pre-schools are having a break so why not us? :thumbsup:

sarah707
28-06-2009, 08:22 PM
Every single activity you do with children can be linked in one way or another to the Eyfs.

I don't see it as 'doing' or not doing the Eyfs, it's about having fun playing with the children and making notes to show I am meeting their learning and development needs at the same time.

A trip to the park meets lots of physical development, a trip to the local petting zoo meets lots of areas such as kuw and psed, going for ice creams is about learning healthy vs unhealthy eating.

I can relax and play with and get to know the children better in the holidays as well, especially the older ones, because meal times etc can be more flexible, so I will probably make more notes for their learning journey files.

The children will choose themes for the holiday weeks and we will plan them together in the same ways as term time... except it's better in the holidays because we can play without being interrupted by school runs.

Plus don't forget, the main points of the Eyfs which are the 16 principles, must be in place all the time, so you are 'doing' the Eyfs whether you want to or not!! :D

Sarahbelle
11-07-2009, 09:01 PM
This argument has come up at lot around this area. I know some childminders who take the attitude that pre-schools don't deliver EYFS in the holidays, so why should they.

My argument is pre-schools are shut in the holidays so they have no children to deliver the EYFS too! But we do work the holidays, so it is business as normal albeit in a more relaxed atmosphere!

Pipsqueak
11-07-2009, 09:09 PM
totally agree with Sarah - I don't see it as doing it or not - its just what I do.
I am not intense about EYFS per se anyway.

I use the principle of EYFS for all age groups (have been told by my sons school that they are extending it up to end year 2 from September and will think about using the principles right throughout the school anyway) and it works out just fine for me.

helenlc
12-07-2009, 08:44 AM
I agree with Sarah too - I dont see it as choosing when to do the EYFS as I think we do it all the time anyway and nearly everything we do can be related to it in some way.

rickysmiths
12-07-2009, 08:49 AM
I agree with Sarah. I don't know how I could take a break because it is inbuilt into all I do now and to be honest it isn't such a mahusive thing that I feel I need a break.

My break will be in a week when I'm off for 2 weeks hols. Can't wait. :clapping: :jump for joy: :clapping:

Chatterbox Childcare
12-07-2009, 11:55 AM
The EYFS is now part of my working week so it will continue whilst I am open, holidays or not

I think I would be lost without the planning and structure of it, flexible of course.

venus89
12-07-2009, 12:00 PM
Still do EYFS for the reasons Sarah mentions but my planning is a lot more flexible as I'll only have one mindee plus my own three in the holidays - there won't be a theme per se and there will be more outings