PDA

View Full Version : Not sure what to do about this??

Adiamond
26-06-2009, 03:19 PM
I have had an enquiry to look after a 14 month old little girl her mum needs me to be quite flexible as she isn't on a permanent contract yet (she will be in around 4 months) anyway I can be as flexible as she wants because she will be my first mindee.

My questions are....... Do I do a temporary contract to start with then do another permanent one when mum gets permanent hours?

I would normally ask for a months deposit when we sign the contracts but her hours will be different all the time I wouldn't know what to charge her, so do you think I should ask for a small deposit anything is better than nothing I suppose.

She will be claiming around 80% of childcare from tax credits,I know she will need my Ofsted number ,when shall I give her it? and do I have to let tax credits know anything?

Hope this makes sense :blush:

Omg, this is all very confusing :panic:
Please help

MissTinkerbell
26-06-2009, 04:45 PM
I would do a temporary contract to start with and then do a proper one once she has fixed hours and you know what is happening.

As regards to a deposit - could you work out an average week and then charge that x2? That's what I did with my parent - her hours vary from week to week so we said an average of 15 hours per week and her deposit was that x2

You will have to put your Ofsted number on a contract and I have given parents it at this point - ie when they sign a contract.

The only thing you might need to tell tax credits is a change to your working hours if its different to what it was before a forcasted income if you think its likely to go over what they have allowed you (not sure any of that made sense!!)

The Juggler
26-06-2009, 04:45 PM
Take care if you are offering her full flexibility as this might prevent you taking on other mindees. If she is paying for say 2 days but needs the days available over all 5 days of the week you might think about charging say for 3 days (meeting in the middle).

Depends though if you have two other spaces available anyway then this won't be too much of a problem but if you have children of your own and this is only under 5 space you have available then you might want to think about how much flexibility you offer.

Good luck though with first mindee!

Deb
26-06-2009, 05:13 PM
I would do a temp contract and then a perm one when she has one. And I charge a 50.00 deposit for everyone regardless. If she wants flexiblity over 5 days but may only need you 2 then I would charge a minimum of 2.5 days and then extra for what ever is over; so if she comes 2 days she pays for 2.5 if she comes 1 day she pays for 2.5 if she comes 4 days she pays for 4 etc.

You dont tell WFTC anything from their point of view - only about your own claim and the hours you are working. The ofsted number goes on the contract.

Chatterbox Childcare
26-06-2009, 05:37 PM
I would do a contract and then review it when required. You don't need to tell tax credits as she will

As to fees - if mum is getting 80% paid then I would charge her for the full week and add in food at no extra charge.

rickysmiths
26-06-2009, 06:29 PM
I would do the same as Debbie. I must say I have never used temp contracts, I just do a review.

I always take 4 weeks fees as a deposit from everyone and it is kept until the end of the contract. Had my fingers burnt to often over the years with late payment and leaving without paying the notice period.

Adiamond
26-06-2009, 07:49 PM
Thank you for your replies, I think I am going to charge for a full time place, then I am available at short notice because I think she can get called into work at short notice.

I feel a bit scared :panic: it all feels sooo real now and I still feel I have so much to learn :eek:

Thank you all again :D
I am sure I will be back soon with lots more questions !!!! :blush:

x x x

brillminder
30-06-2009, 04:07 PM
yes i agree its only costing her 20% too