PDA

View Full Version : How would you work this??

aly
22-06-2009, 04:43 PM
I have someone who is coming on the weekend for a chat.

Anyway how would you work this.

She wants to start in Sept. It's a new job and it will be shift work.

DO I ask for deposit/retainer for sept?
she said that her hours would be 30 hours a week with some weekend work but her hubby will be home for that....so may only use me for a certain amount 1 week and more another week, but wont know for certain until we chat. she will get her shifts 1 maybe 2months in advanced.

her daughter is 10 monthsso it would be full days.

any idea???

Mouse
22-06-2009, 04:59 PM
With my shift worker parents I set a minimum number of hours that I am willing to accept. Eg. for one family it is a minimum of 3 days per week. If they use less that 3 days they still pay for 3 days, if they use more they pay for what they use.

Some minders would charge for a full week as you need to keep the place open all week.

If they want to start in September I would charge a weeks/months deposit which goes towards the first payment, but is non-refundable if they don't come to you for any reason.

clorogue
22-06-2009, 05:16 PM
It really depends what suits you too and your situation. Do you just want to work for one family? Do you want to work 5 days a week? How many children do you ideally want to take on board? Lots of questions!! You may be quite happy to just work with this family as and when they need you, my first family I worked for worked shift work and I did this because it suited me and I only worked for them as I had little ones myself, but I did have a minimum charge for the week. I guess a good many childminders would charge a premium because it takes up the one space. I had an enquiry today with exactly that situation. Unfortunately I wasn't able to help her as I am nearly at full capacity, but she was struggling to find a childminder to work those hours as that child would take up the whole space for the week.

Do you have the space available now? If so I would charge a retainer up until then, mine would be half.:D

Hope this helps.

aly
22-06-2009, 05:16 PM
With my shift worker parents I set a minimum number of hours that I am willing to accept. Eg. for one family it is a minimum of 3 days per week. If they use less that 3 days they still pay for 3 days, if they use more they pay for what they use.

Some minders would charge for a full week as you need to keep the place open all week.

If they want to start in September I would charge a weeks/months deposit which goes towards the first payment, but is non-refundable if they don't come to you for any reason.

that halps a lot...thank you:thumbsup:

aly
22-06-2009, 05:26 PM
It really depends what suits you too and your situation. Do you just want to work for one family? Do you want to work 5 days a week? How many children do you ideally want to take on board? Lots of questions!! You may be quite happy to just work with this family as and when they need you, my first family I worked for worked shift work and I did this because it suited me and I only worked for them as I had little ones myself, but I did have a minimum charge for the week. I guess a good many childminders would charge a premium because it takes up the one space. I had an enquiry today with exactly that situation. Unfortunately I wasn't able to help her as I am nearly at full capacity, but she was struggling to find a childminder to work those hours as that child would take up the whole space for the week.

Do you have the space available now? If so I would charge a retainer up until then, mine would be half.:D

Hope this helps.
I have 4 now...2 before and after schoolies....1 who will be 2 like my daughter next month. the other is 3. I will be giving notice to the 3 yo for this 10mth old. [personal reasons] so in affect i dont mind if she uses more or less I will just have to make sure she pays :laughing:

rickysmiths
22-06-2009, 05:33 PM
I try to reach an amicable ageement with shifts.

I always take a 4 weeks fees Deposit when the contrat is signed, which I keep until the end of the contract and use for the four week notice period. It is non returnable if the parents change thier mind before the contract starts in full or returned if for some reason you can't start the contract.

Deb
22-06-2009, 08:41 PM
I would charge for a full for 3 days and half for the others, unless they use them and then I would charge full.

Chatterbox Childcare
22-06-2009, 09:34 PM
I have 2 on shift and we work out an amicable price.

i.e. either shift is £25 plus food and soft play. They pay this for

Shift 1 is 7.45am - 2.30
Shift 2 is 1.30 - 5.30

There are a set amount of days for this and as you can see one week I am working for £3.70 per hour and the other £6.25. Overall it averages £4.65 per hour which allows for the hours I have to keep for him.

It always gives me a bit more time for me.