PDA

View Full Version : rising 5's and registration certificate

sonia ann
19-06-2009, 03:20 PM
This reply from Ofsted today may clear up a lot of questions:)

Dear Ms xxxxxx

Thank you for your e-mail.

In response to your enquiry I believe you may find the following information useful:

Providers may request the rising fives condition be added to their certificate for clarity but it is not a requirement to do so. Rising fives is part of the Early Years Foundation Stage requirements and all childminders are able to offer places for rising fives without having the condition on their certificate. Requests for this condition should be made to the regional inspection support team.

What are Rising fives?

The Early Years Foundation Stage (EYFS) statutory framework states:

"where four and five year old children attend the setting before and or after a normal school day, they may be classed as children over the age of five for the purposes of the adult:child ratio".

We have clarified this definition with the Department for Children Schools and Families (DCSF). Any four year old in full time education may be classed as older than the early years age group (from birth to the 31st of August following their fifth birthday) for the purposes of adult:child ratios. The EYFS does not prevent four and five year olds who attend school full time from being counted as over fives during the school holidays and weekends etc.

It is important to note, however, that these children must still receive the EYFS at all times until the 1st September following their fifth birthday. Also Rising 5s only applies to ratios it cannot for example be used when deciding if a provider needs to be placed upon the Early Years Register.

I hope you find this information helpful. However should you require any further assistance please do not hesitate to contact us.

Regards

James Hutton

Customer Service Advisor

Ofsted - National Business Unit

TEL: 08456 404040

sarah707
19-06-2009, 03:27 PM
Well that's a nice clear reply.

Thank you for sharing! :D

Nix
19-06-2009, 04:07 PM
Thanks for that...:thumbsup:

Nicky
19-06-2009, 07:29 PM
Thanks, I had it right in my head then!! LOL

nicky

SandCastles
19-06-2009, 09:25 PM
Thanks for that, I did understand it after all.

sharons
19-06-2009, 10:27 PM
Thanks for that info :thumbsup:

miffy
19-06-2009, 10:46 PM
As I thought! Thank goodness!

Thank you for clearing that up

Miffy xx

balloon
20-06-2009, 08:08 AM
Woohoo!! :clapping: I got it right!! ;) Shows I am finally getting to know my way around all this jargon, lol! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

(OK... Who's that at the back saying makes a change? :blush: )

Hm, ok... I'll get over myself now, lol! Thanks for sharing hun. ;)

angiemog
22-06-2009, 06:25 PM
Thank you for that I have a soon to be 4 year starting full time school in January. xx

andreaschildcare
30-06-2009, 03:39 PM
Hi and thank you

Sorry to be the only dimwit but i dont understand the school hols bit, so does a rising 5 class as an over 5 in the october half term and school hols?:panic:

sonia ann
30-06-2009, 04:01 PM
Hi and thank you

Sorry to be the only dimwit but i dont understand the school hols bit, so does a rising 5 class as an over 5 in the october half term and school hols?:panic:

yes .....a 4yr old is classed as 5yrs old for the purposes of your numbers as long as they are at full time school ie 10 sessions a week even in the holidays:)