PDA

View Full Version : NVQ help

Rubybubbles
16-02-2008, 11:11 AM
OKay I'm normally really good and don't ask on here, but it had been talked about else where recently so thought:idea:

OKay then question is

Why reflection on pratice is important and evaluation of peronal effectiveness is important:eek:

To be a reflective practitioner I need to be aware of my own limitations and gaps in my knowledge as well as my strengths and qualities. Being a reflective practitioner will help me become more efficient with my work, by increasing my knowledge, understanding and skills.

so what else can I add:D

thanks honeys

nell57
16-02-2008, 11:50 AM
Hi Emma
Think i wrote in mine more or less the same but in different words, such as

.reflection helps me build on what i do successfully
. helps me become more confident and assertive
.beneficial as always something new to learn about

Probably not much help to you and mine has just gone in to be marked so you can guarantee something I've missed, words and writing not my strongest quality, many time when I've wondered why i started it in the first place, but sure I'll get there in the end. How are you finding it, what level are you doing if you don't mind me asking.

Helen

Rubybubbles
16-02-2008, 12:12 PM
sorry I'm doing NVQ3 CCLd;)

I'm finding it hard TBH, but I am near the end now (or so she tells me before surprise with another assessment:mad: )

I'm finding time the worse thing!! working, then sorting out own children, looking on here:eek: then realise what time it is , so I know it's my own fault really but, as hubby is away Mon-Fri it can get very hard work and last week I let everythign get on top of me and I just broke down:o

Sorry hehe, nuff about my personal life

Thanks for your answer, good to see I am on the same wave length, it's nice to see what other people put as doing this from home only, no visits to college ect, she comes here (to my house!!)

what are you doing?? same one? How r u getting on?

miffy
16-02-2008, 12:32 PM
I've pm'd you Emma

Sorry been out this morning

Miffy xx

deeb66
16-02-2008, 01:05 PM
I'm finding time the worse thing!! working, then sorting out own children, looking on here:eek: then realise what time it is , so I know it's my own fault really but, as hubby is away Mon-Fri it can get very hard work and last week I let everythign get on top of me and I just broke down:o

We are always here if you need us Emma

http://bestsmileys.com/hugging/4.gif

nell57
16-02-2008, 01:22 PM
sorry I'm doing NVQ3 CCLd;)

I'm finding it hard TBH, but I am near the end now (or so she tells me before surprise with another assessment:mad: )

I'm finding time the worse thing!! working, then sorting out own children, looking on here:eek: then realise what time it is , so I know it's my own fault really but, as hubby is away Mon-Fri it can get very hard work and last week I let everything get on top of me and I just broke down:o

Sorry hehe, nuff about my personal life

Thanks for your answer, good to see I am on the same wave length, it's nice to see what other people put as doing this from home only, no visits to college ect, she comes here (to my house!!)

what are you doing?? same one? How r u getting on?

Yes same one, but by the sounds a totally different format, i have to go college every Monday, only had 2 home obs and been doing it since last April. I'm not finding it easy, i do ok when assessor come but like you say its the writing stuff. The thing i struggled on the most is unit 303, mostly observation/child study and linking to theories, it took months before that finally sunk in. My tutor is really keen on Theorist such as Piaget and the likes, and seems to think you have to know about all these to get through this course.
Some of the girls on the course have sent there portfolio in complete to be marked, am really pleased for them, but makes me feel useless.

Plus my personal life sounds different than yours as my ds is 15 and can take care of himself, no excuses about coming on forum instead of getting home work done though (ha ha)

Its good to talk to some one who understands what I'm are going through, even if it is waffling, so thanks for listening:D

Helen x

sarah707
16-02-2008, 04:21 PM
I find personal reflection really important as it helps me to focus on what I have achieved as well as what I need to do next.

I always write down the new things I implement, the new ideas I have for the business, the wish list stuff I actually achieve, so that when I look at the previous few months it gives me an overview of how far I have come and I can give myself a pat on the back - very important in this business as no one is going to do that for me.

Then I look to the future and try to think about where I want to be over the next few months. Without this, I would not have any aims and objectives to carry me through and might feel a bit rudderless, especially as we can be so isolated in this job.

I use the objectives of the Every Child Matters Agenda to follow my aims and goals... I think about how I keep children healthy and how I can keep them healthier etc.

All big companies have an ethos of personal development - just because I am here on my own without a big HR department behind me doesn't mean I can't be as professional as possible. :D

Rubybubbles
16-02-2008, 09:03 PM
I've pm'd you Emma

Sorry been out this morning

Miffy xx

thanks honeyxx

Rubybubbles
16-02-2008, 09:04 PM
We are always here if you need us Emma

http://bestsmileys.com/hugging/4.gif

:waving: :happy banana: thanks honey

Rubybubbles
16-02-2008, 09:07 PM
Yes same one, but by the sounds a totally different format, i have to go college every Monday, only had 2 home obs and been doing it since last April. I'm not finding it easy, i do ok when assessor come but like you say its the writing stuff. The thing i struggled on the most is unit 303, mostly observation/child study and linking to theories, it took months before that finally sunk in. My tutor is really keen on Theorist such as Piaget and the likes, and seems to think you have to know about all these to get through this course.
Some of the girls on the course have sent there portfolio in complete to be marked, am really pleased for them, but makes me feel useless.

Plus my personal life sounds different than yours as my ds is 15 and can take care of himself, no excuses about coming on forum instead of getting home work done though (ha ha)

Its good to talk to some one who understands what I'm are going through, even if it is waffling, so thanks for listening:D

Helen x

mine doesn't seem to have clue:rolleyes: , she came back after I had if IV and asked for some signtures (only thing required) and when we looked through it was hers missing:angry: , i'm finsihing off 304 303 then should be done, my obs one seems to be a bit on going:o . I wish I went out to college sometimes, but then I get loads done by home obs to:thumbsup:

ask away yourself, feel free to pm me:thumbsup: I may (haha) know some answers somewhere in my head hehe

Rubybubbles
16-02-2008, 09:08 PM
I find personal reflection really important as it helps me to focus on what I have achieved as well as what I need to do next.

I always write down the new things I implement, the new ideas I have for the business, the wish list stuff I actually achieve, so that when I look at the previous few months it gives me an overview of how far I have come and I can give myself a pat on the back - very important in this business as no one is going to do that for me.

Then I look to the future and try to think about where I want to be over the next few months. Without this, I would not have any aims and objectives to carry me through and might feel a bit rudderless, especially as we can be so isolated in this job.

I use the objectives of the Every Child Matters Agenda to follow my aims and goals... I think about how I keep children healthy and how I can keep them healthier etc.

All big companies have an ethos of personal development - just because I am here on my own without a big HR department behind me doesn't mean I can't be as professional as possible. :D

just when I thought I had this one finished some top ideas on there Sarah thankyou:thumbsup:

nell57
17-02-2008, 06:57 AM
Thanks Emma that will be good, will let you know Mon night when get portfolio back:eek:
Hope your feeling better yourself

Helen

littlepixies
17-02-2008, 08:24 AM
:waving: Morning girlies!!!

I had my first yep first study day for the ccldnvq3 and btech yesterday and to be honest it was just going straight over my head to begin with, and i just thought OMG what have i started!
But after 2 rebulls and some food.... i got into it thank god and it all started to fall in place (sort of)

I was the only childminder in the group every one else was working ina nursery. A couple turned their noses up at the fact i wasnt in a nursery when i said abit about my self.

so ... i said hi my name is louisa i am a registered childminder.....which to be honest is like running your own nursery on a smaller scale so really i should be saying im a a manager Lol! Not only do i look after and support children in my care, i do all the planning, policys, procedure, advertising form filling,accounts,self assesments,day courses which is a hell lot more work than just planingas a nursery nurse.
And that shut them up!!!! Just show ya though how people are still thinking "oh a babby sitter with a posh name!!"

Any ways.... im doing study day 3 whichis unit 307 all about the development and health.
I have a fantastic tutor which tries to get as much of the unit done or at least started in the lesson so you dont get sent home not having a clue. She is really nice and sooo positive about the whole course which is great. Gld i dont have a moody old battle axe who couldnt give a toss if you passed or not!!! that would have been my worse night mare1!!!!

well im here to help also, if i can. I just went and bout the nvq3 ccld by miranda walker and the ccld btech book by sandy green which are both fab books to support you.

miffy
17-02-2008, 08:32 AM
Well done you for putting them in their place Louisa

I think as a childminder you have the advantage over the nursery staff because when your assessor comes out you can decide what you are going to do so that you can get lots of boxes ticked during the observation - people working in nurseries can't always do that

Good luck with the course. I finished mine last year and it was worth doing (even if it drove me mad at times). Having a good assessor makes all the difference

Miffy xx

nell57
17-02-2008, 08:55 AM
Morning Louisa, well done taking the plunge and starting your course:thumbsup:
You'll soon get into the swing of things. And you probably be able show the nursery people how its done.;)
I chose unit 307 for an option as well which was a good choice cus you can cross reference to unit 302.
Good luck, but sure you dont need it and keep us posted how you're getting on.

Helen

Pipsqueak
17-02-2008, 09:17 AM
I have been pointedly trying to ignore this thread as my NVQ has been sitting on the side of my desk staring and calling me for ooohh, a couple of weeks (and the rest), I just need to tweak 303/4/5 and I have two more units after that to do. :D

nell57
17-02-2008, 09:25 AM
I have been pointedly trying to ignore this thread as my NVQ has been sitting on the side of my desk staring and calling me for ooohh, a couple of weeks (and the rest), I just need to tweak 303/4/5 and I have two more units after that to do. :D

Go on Vik, you can do it, just step away from the pc, pick up your portfolio and a pen, or then again theres always tommorrow:D :D

Pipsqueak
17-02-2008, 09:26 AM
Go on Vik, you can do it, just step away from the pc, pick up your portfolio and a pen, or then again theres always tommorrow:D :D

Nooooooooooooooooooooooo

anneriddington
17-02-2008, 09:34 AM
There seems to be so many different ways to do your NVQ3, I had an induction visit from my personal assessor last week and was surprised I didn't have to attend an evening class and that she would come once a month to see me in my setting. A bit sad as even my study is isolated like my job:( thank goodness I have all of you to bounce ideas and thoughts off:)

I have "homework" for my next visit but the thing I'm finding a little testing is that I have to decide which modules I would like to do from the choice sections. A little difficult as I only have the titles of them not the full course notes. Don't get them until next session but I have to have made my decision by then Crazy:rolleyes:

Anyone got any suggestions?

sarah707
17-02-2008, 09:38 AM
What are the choices Anne? Been a while since I did mine... :D

anneriddington
17-02-2008, 09:46 AM
Sarah, there are 16 applicable to my setting too long to type out! Do you know the numbers?
Available to do are
306 307 308 309 310 316 317 319 320 323 325 328 330 342 345 346

Might no mean too much to you if you dont have the paperwork but hope someone has Ideas.

A number and a title eg. "306 - Plan and organise environments for children and families" gives me a rough idea obviously but I would have like a few more details of the requirements of the module.

Pipsqueak
17-02-2008, 10:01 AM
I have done mine at home anne with my assessor coming out to see me! If you get organised and disciplined (hmmm thats where I am going wrong methinks) then its not so bad.

I think my problem is that I have finished my DHC and I am not coming to the end of the NVQ and QF and I have slowed down and gone into rest mode.

anneriddington
17-02-2008, 10:06 AM
I think my problem is that Im on the edge of jumping into the "unknown" and Im not used to it. My assessor was lovely, she a childminder as well so was really supportive and knew which direction to point me in. I just like to organised and I dont feel that yet. Hopefully once I get going will slot into place.

Pipsqueak
17-02-2008, 10:09 AM
My last post should read that I AM coming to the end of the NVQ and QF - duh (freudian slip perhaps????)

It will all slot into place Anne and once you get going on it its fine, you are probably doing most of what they asking but its putting it into words and it gets you thinking.

As you say there are plenty of people on here to bounce of.

sarah707
17-02-2008, 10:10 AM
Sarah, there are 16 applicable to my setting too long to type out! Do you know the numbers?
Available to do are
306 307 308 309 310 316 317 319 320 323 325 328 330 342 345 346

Might no mean too much to you if you dont have the paperwork but hope someone has Ideas.

A number and a title eg. "306 - Plan and organise environments for children and families" gives me a rough idea obviously but I would have like a few more details of the requirements of the module.

Sorry too long ago and it's all changed! I don't think you can be organised with NVQ like you can with say the OU ones, because you are constantly looking at other units to see where you can fit in the evidence, so it's an ongoing messy procedure.

Good luck! The best thing I did was bought this course book -

http://www.reviewcentre.com/reviews32796.html :D

anneriddington
17-02-2008, 10:14 AM
Sorry too long ago and it's all changed! I don't think you can be organised with NVQ like you can with say the OU ones, because you are constantly looking at other units to see where you can fit in the evidence, so it's an ongoing messy procedure.

Good luck! The best thing I did was bought this course book -

http://www.reviewcentre.com/reviews32796.html :D

Thanks Sarah I have just got the latest Chidren's Care, Learning and Development book, by the same authors as the book you recommended but i think this one is the latest version. Nice and thick, some excellent bedtime reading!!! Perhaps will try it out on the little ones tomorrow

"Once upon a time there was a compulsary module":laughing: :laughing:

miffy
17-02-2008, 10:16 AM
I finished my NVQ last summer (CCLD) and the option units I did were
306 307 308 and 316

316 is all about running your business so that's quite a good one and reasonably short - think 320 is also good for childminders

306 307 and 308 all x-ref to the mandatory units so there's not too much to do on those once you've done the others

It really helps if you've got a good assessor

Good luck

Miffy xx

anneriddington
17-02-2008, 10:27 AM
I finished my NVQ last summer (CCLD) and the option units I did were
306 307 308 and 316

316 is all about running your business so that's quite a good one and reasonably short - think 320 is also good for childminders

306 307 and 308 all x-ref to the mandatory units so there's not too much to do on those once you've done the others

It really helps if you've got a good assessor

Good luck

Miffy xx

Thanks Miffy, just need to get started now have you ever hear of a "SWOT analysis"? its a tool to help identify your strengths and weaknesses. It was a new one on me. Hubby suggest putting you have no weaknesses and that would be the question completed!!!:rolleyes: Don't quite thinks that is what is required.

miffy
17-02-2008, 10:39 AM
No haven't heard of that.

Is it similar to SMART targets do you think????? We had to do these in 304 all about reflective practice - you draw up a personal development plan then decide what you're going to do then decide if it comes within smart (stands for specific (your actual aim) measurable (will you know when you've achieved it) achievable realistic timescale (when you hope to have done it by)).

Honestly it's like learning another language. Personally I think your hubby has got the right idea :laughing:

Miffy xx

anneriddington
17-02-2008, 10:52 AM
Thanks everyon for the help, cannot ignore the basket of ironing any long - will have to log off:(

Raggydolls
17-02-2008, 03:50 PM
ive chosen for my optional units: 308, 309, 316, 320, im hoping to cross reference most of 308 with an assignment i have recently done :-)

i havent done much, lol, really need to get my ass into gear and get working.

leanne
xx

Rubybubbles
17-02-2008, 04:09 PM
Good to see you are all thinking about your NVQ (now r u doing any:laughing: )

I was given my option units:rolleyes: no choice

I've done 306, 307, 312 and just polishing 320

arrrrhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Well done Louisa, when you put it like that It's a no wonder we all end up in a flap at some time or another:D oh hum, I will do doign some tonight:(

Rubybubbles
17-02-2008, 04:10 PM
Thanks Emma that will be good, will let you know Mon night when get portfolio back:eek:
Hope your feeling better yourself

Helen

thanks hun, I'm back to normal flapping around self:D

nell57
17-02-2008, 08:27 PM
[QUOTE=Rubybubbles;56533]Good to see you are all thinking about your NVQ (now r u doing any:laughing: )

I was given my option units:rolleyes: no choice

I've done 306, 307, 312 and just polishing 320

arrrrhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Hey Emma, we doin same optional units, my choice though but am glad cus most of its cross reference from the mandatory ones:jump for joy:

Helen

Rubybubbles
17-02-2008, 08:56 PM
oh thats spooky helen:laughing: , doing okay tonight although I keep flivking on here:laughing:

RainbowMum
23-02-2008, 12:11 AM
Anne I can email you the course handbook if you pm me your email?

I am tring to complete 301 and 302 before my next visit, then I have to do an outdoor physical activity while she is here - yikes!

I go to college every other thursday evening & i get good guidance while there

miffy
23-02-2008, 07:56 AM
Anne I can email you the course handbook if you pm me your email?

I am tring to complete 301 and 302 before my next visit, then I have to do an outdoor physical activity while she is here - yikes!

I go to college every other thursday evening & i get good guidance while there

Oh I don't envy you that Sharon - I remember doing that and the assessor wanted warm up and cool down exercises too - I felt a right p****er - was really pleased the garden was out of neighbours view

miffy xx