PDA

View Full Version : RING BINDERS ARE GOING TO FALL APART!

angeldelight
19-06-2009, 09:19 AM
I use ring binders for each childs learning journal but they are so heavy and so full now I am sure they are going to fall apart with the weight

I have the biggest I could find I do not want about 20 binders per child if you know what I mean

Is everyone else the same ?

Angel xx

Mouse
19-06-2009, 09:23 AM
Same here!

One child will be leaving in Sept, so will only have had a learning journal for a year, but that will probably be 2 binders.

I've been wondering how much the baby will have by the time he finishes - he could have almost 5 years worth!

I'm wondering if I'm putting too much in. I can't imagine nurseries do anywhere near as much.

angeldelight
19-06-2009, 09:25 AM
Yes I was wondering if I was doing too much but I have tried not to and it is still not working for me

I think I am slowly running out of space too

They need to make bigger binders I think ha ha

Angel xx

Chatterbox Childcare
19-06-2009, 09:26 AM
You must be doing loads - I am finding that I have less than before!

angeldelight
19-06-2009, 09:30 AM
You must be doing loads - I am finding that I have less than before!

How many do you have then Debbie ? ( for each child )

Mine is full since Sept and that is cutting it right down ( for each child )

Angel xx

Chatterbox Childcare
19-06-2009, 09:32 AM
I have 5 children - 1 x 4 (going to school and small binder) 1 x 3 (1.5 days a week small binder) 2 x 2 (large binder - loads of room) and 1 x 1 (large binder loads of room)

I take photo's but these don't go in the folder but on a disc and I send a lot of their work home but take photo's first as proof for Ofsted.

I wonder what the parents will do with lots of paperwork when they leave?

nannysue
19-06-2009, 09:32 AM
I'm also using ring binders with plastic sleeve inserts and yes mine are getting full but i'm pleased with how they are looking, :thumbsup: they are a mixture of learning diary and things the children have done. Its working well for me after a few false starts !! :D Have had lovely feedback from parents :)

Mouse
19-06-2009, 09:35 AM
Well, in their folders I have their info, likes & dislikes etc, which doesn't tend to get changed or added to. I then have photos, snap shot obs, more detailed obs, personal planning, photocopies or photos of art work (they always want to take the originals home!)

I think the increase probably comes from all the photos. It was something that I identified in my SEF that I didn't keep much of a record showing what the children do, so at least I'm showing improvement in that area :D

I don't think I'm really doing much more than before, it's just that I'm keeping it all together in a much more organised way.

angeldelight
19-06-2009, 09:37 AM
Well, in their folders I have their info, likes & dislikes etc, which doesn't tend to get changed or added to. I then have photos, snap shot obs, more detailed obs, personal planning, photocopies or photos of art work (they always want to take the originals home!)

I think the increase probably comes from all the photos. It was something that I identified in my SEF that I didn't keep much of a record showing what the children do, so at least I'm showing improvement in that area :D

I don't think I'm really doing much more than before, it's just that I'm keeping it all together in a much more organised way.

Yeah same here

I just dread to think how many I will have at the end though for each child ha

Angel xx

Allie
19-06-2009, 10:30 AM
I pass the files on when they are full, usually every few months. I give the parents the contents and file as I just buy cheap ones, but some childminders I know are just giving contents tied with string, so they can reuse the file

Allie

sarah707
19-06-2009, 10:37 AM
I work with the Eyfs ages and stages.

As soon as a child is ready to move on to the next stage I take their stuff up to that point and hole punch it, then tie with ribbon.

I make a new header with a new photo and that's the next folder for that child until they are ready to move on :D

Mouse
19-06-2009, 10:44 AM
I work with the Eyfs ages and stages.

As soon as a child is ready to move on to the next stage I take their stuff up to that point and hole punch it, then tie with ribbon.

I make a new header with a new photo and that's the next folder for that child until they are ready to move on :D

Sarah, what sort of ages/stages do you have? I like the idea, but wonder how it works.

One of my mindees is very advanced in some area, but considerably behind in others. What are your critera for moving them on?

sarah707
19-06-2009, 10:51 AM
Sarah, what sort of ages/stages do you have? I like the idea, but wonder how it works.

One of my mindees is very advanced in some area, but considerably behind in others. What are your critera for moving them on?

When they have achieved most of the bits in the age and stage currently appropriate, I move them to the next section of the Eyfs.

I take concerns with me... so if John is successfully achieving in most areas but has an issue with physical development, I will move him to the next age and stage and make up a list of those parts of PD that I am finding he is not achieving - or maybe I just haven't observed yet because he is doing them at home or playgroup but not with me.

Those will be areas for us to focus on and look back over in the coming months. I will speak to parents / other settings to see if he is achieving elsewhere and I will use them for next steps.

Does that make sense? :D

Mouse
19-06-2009, 10:55 AM
When they have achieved most of the bits in the age and stage currently appropriate, I move them to the next section of the Eyfs.

I take concerns with me... so if John is successfully achieving in most areas but has an issue with physical development, I will move him to the next age and stage and make up a list of those parts of PD that I am finding he is not achieving - or maybe I just haven't observed yet because he is doing them at home or playgroup but not with me.

Those will be areas for us to focus on and look back over in the coming months. I will speak to parents / other settings to see if he is achieving elsewhere and I will use them for next steps.

Does that make sense? :D

Yes, thank you, that makes sense. I'm happy to keep things as they are for the older children who will be leaving soon, but I would like to try something different for the baby & new starters.

angeldelight
19-06-2009, 11:02 AM
Yes, thank you, that makes sense. I'm happy to keep things as they are for the older children who will be leaving soon, but I would like to try something different for the baby & new starters.

I work with ages and stages too

But still I find I have a lot of work ha ha

xx