PDA

View Full Version : Collecting/Dropping at various schools

polkadots
17-06-2009, 06:21 PM
Does anyone collect and drop off at more than one school, and if so do you find it manageable.

I have had my first enquiry, and therefore do not like to say no, but problem being her two eldest children are at a different school than my own. The youngest is a pre-schooler therefore that wont matter. She wants before and after school for the two eldest and all day for the little one.

The schools are quite close so may be able to manage in car, but would prefer walking and feel it may restrict me if i get others from my childrens school.

She does not want to start until september

i know a childminder that does her school, do you think i should just pass her on

I do not want to turn business away, as just starting out

Thanks

FizzysFriends
17-06-2009, 06:24 PM
I think that if the schools come out at different times then you could do a trial run in the car one day?

sweets
17-06-2009, 06:26 PM
When i was a nanny working for 2 families i did pick ups from 2 schools that were 7 mins drive away from each other, 1st schl finished at 3.15 and 2nd at 3.30. i always made it to the second 1 on time but didn't enjoy the rush or panic if 1st child was out late. It was ok as the 2nd child was 10 and in year 6 so was sensible enough to know to wait for 5 mins if i wasn't there. why don't you give it a practice run at school time to see if you can possibly do it. it seems a shame to turn it down!

Twinkles
17-06-2009, 06:29 PM
I collect from two schools and find it quite stressfull. If the first child is late out - today was 10 mins late - it puts me into a panic and makes me very late for the other school.

Blackhorse
17-06-2009, 06:39 PM
I know what you are saying coz you are starting out and want to get business in the door...I am worried about the same and actually had to turn down an after schooler as it was way too far from me

Find out what times the school open/close to see if it is even possible.

Then think about how you will get there and back. Will you need a car? If so how many children can fit into your car? If it isn't a 7 seater you might have to turn people down later on as you cannot take all the kids to school and back..
If you can walk it how long will it take? will you want to do it in all weathers if the car is not an option?

what I am trying to say is: think carefully about it so you don't find yourself in a situation in a few months you don't like or regret...

polkadots
17-06-2009, 07:01 PM
I will try and do it tomorow and see what it is like, but my gut feeling is that i should turn it down.

I have arranged a meeting on friday with her anyway, as it will be good experience for me, my first parent interview, whether i decide to go ahead or not, and if she likes me and i can not do it, she may still be able to recommend me to others with pre schoolers, especially if i put her in touch with another childminder.