PDA

View Full Version : Cat Litter Question

PrincessCinders
17-06-2009, 10:21 AM
Hiya

I am getting ready for my pre-reg inspection and I was just wondering if any of you guys have a cat....If so where do you have your cat litter? (and dont say in a box lol) The cat little box in in my kitchen, but i cant see the inspectors thinking that it is hygenic. Just wondering if you have any ideas? I have moved the cat food into the bathroom on a shelf. But am stuck as to where to put the box.

Cheers

wendywu
17-06-2009, 10:53 AM
I dont know as my cats do not have a litter tray. Is your cat an indoor cat then or just a kitten who is not old enough to go outside.:)

The litter tray must be in a room the children do not use but i would not have it in the kitchen when you are inspected.

nannis1980
17-06-2009, 11:58 AM
I have cats but they do their "business" outside...So glad they are not young with litter trays still!

Could you put it in a separate room and pop a baby gate up to stop children going in?

x

Daftbat
17-06-2009, 01:40 PM
I have cats but they do their "business" outside...So glad they are not young with litter trays still!

Could you put it in a separate room and pop a baby gate up to stop children going in?

x

I think this sounds like a good idea which Ofsted will like. I used to have cats but they went outside for their toiletting.

PrincessCinders
17-06-2009, 04:09 PM
Hi,

My cat is an indoor cat. I have an ante-space , but its between the toilet and the kitchen.

Mmmm need to do some thinking about this situation.

Thanks for your comments :)

Dawn

wendywu
17-06-2009, 04:29 PM
But just think if you were in the middle of the inspection and the cat came in and did a really big smelly poo then threw cat litter all over the place. I would hate it :panic:

MissTinkerbell
17-06-2009, 04:43 PM
I've only just got rid of my litter tray but both during my pre-reg and actually inspection it was in the utility room along with their food and water bowls. This room has a safety gate across it and both inspectors were more than happy with this.

Whilst I'm all for health and hygiene, my house is also home to my cats and I don't see why they should have their space tampered with just to please Ofsted.

Princess Sara
17-06-2009, 04:46 PM
Mrs Ofsted was happy with our cat litter tray being in the kitchen, there's a stairgate to stop litt'uns getting in there and it's one of those with a roof so there's hardly any smell when they use it.

I only have one because my Princess is getting on a bit now and can't wait to be let out poor thing.

Alz
17-06-2009, 05:52 PM
Would Ofsted be ok if the tray was in the kitchen if the children couldn't get in there?...or is it just because of general health and hygine that you can't have it in the kitchen??

Also, can you leave cat food/water in the kitchen if the children do not have access to it?!?!...just wondered as I have a cat and not sure Ofsted will say!..not got anywhere I can leave it!?

Sorry, read my post and it's not very helpful!!:ohdear:

Sorry!!:laughing:

Twinkles
17-06-2009, 06:35 PM
I have antique cats and they have a litter tray in the upstairs bathroom - they can just about make it up there :rolleyes:

wendywu
17-06-2009, 06:42 PM
When i was doing the surrey QA i was told not to have food and water bowls down in the kitchen. :rolleyes:

But then again i was told not to do easter nest cakes as they were unhealthy but to do easter fruit kebabs. WHAT:angry:

Now you know why i threw in the towel with it:panic:

Rach30
17-06-2009, 09:48 PM
I have the litter tray ta the top of the stairs as i'm only registered for down stairs. I have a stair gate at the botttom but the cat can still get through. How about one of those trays with a roof on , i think they have them in argos. They always seem a lot more hygineic ,would have on myself but cat will toilet outside soon (well not for "Myself" lol for the cat !!!!:laughing: )

Demonjill
18-06-2009, 06:51 AM
Hi, I used to have litter tray in kitchen but decided to move it when i thought about being a cm.
Ive got a very large cupboard in my hall at the foot of my stairs so i cleared this out and put litter tray, bed and food and water bowls in here. If i put a safety gate on at corner before stairs then that means no mindees could get in here and cat would get peace if needed.
Cat goes outside for toilet most of time but tray is in case he gets caught short while im out or overnight cos he is mainly indoor lazy cat!:laughing:

I see the new stair gates have smaller gaps than the ones i had for my own children years ago which cat fitted through but dont think hes skinny enough to fit through new style ones so may have to jump or ask for it to be opened!:laughing: Miaow

clairejarrett
18-06-2009, 08:36 AM
I've got 3 indoor cats - they have a litter tray in my children's bedroom or else the dog eats the poo (lovely animals dogs), which must be the most unhygienic of all. All the food and water bowls are also upstairs on the landing where the dog doesn't go!