PDA

View Full Version : 9 months into EYFS

Rach30
12-06-2009, 05:12 PM
Well we are 9 months into the EYFS and i feel like i have only just got started ! :( I know what i need to do but it's just getting round to it ! Does anyone else feel like this or are you all super organised and have EYFS up and running smoothly ????

Mouse
12-06-2009, 05:23 PM
I pretty much had it up & running for when it came into force. It started on 1st Sept and as it was the requirement I had it ready for then. I spent a lot of last years 6 weeks hols getting ready. I've amended the way I do things as I go along, but the basics were all in place.

I know so many childminders who are saying they've not even started on EYFS, but like you say, we're 9 months into it now. It did take time to get it running smoothly, but it's worth the effort as it's easy once you get going.

sarah707
12-06-2009, 05:33 PM
An awful lot of childminders are finding the whole thing very tough.

I get lots of phone calls and emails from people who just aren't clicking with Eyfs at all... so don't feel alone if it's not happening for you because you're not!

Usually though I find they are trying to do too much and getting themselves in a twiddle!

Tackle it one bit at a time, get that bit right then move on to the next. If you've been given some paperwork to fill in and it doesn't make sense, give it back or ask what you're supposed to do or change it to work for you.

The beauty of the Eyfs is that it is not prescriptive, it doesn't tell you what you must do... so you can make it up as you go along so long as you meet the statutory bits :D

miss mopple
12-06-2009, 05:39 PM
totally agree with mouse and sarah :)

I have been up and running with it from the start of Sept and although it was hard work I now have a system in place that works for me. Its simple, but the powers that be were pleased with my setting so I must be doing something right!

Sarah is right, small steps is the way to go. I went through the legal requirements one by one and made sure I had them covered, and then started on any frilly bits I wanted to do.

It did seem daunting to begin with but once I actually got stuck in it wasnt as scary as I first thought.

Chatterbox Childcare
12-06-2009, 06:02 PM
I started in September - mistake. It took me until the end of January to have everything the way I wanted it - a lot of relection, evaluation and change to just about everything I started.

I had a to do list which seemed to get longer before it got shorter.

however, there was light at the end of the tunnel and I am now happy with everything and it takes about 10 mins per child per month.

Don't be put off by it as it isn't as bad as it first looks. Do yourself a list and work through as you go.

happytotschildminding
12-06-2009, 06:32 PM
Funnily enough, today I've been looking on the internet at the jobs advertised to see if I could do something easier instead for lots more money!!:laughing: Mainly due to enquiries drying up and mindees leaving than the EYFS though. I'd love to know if what I'm doing is right or not:rolleyes: .
Carol