PDA

View Full Version : What do you mean by a learning journal ?

Rach30
11-06-2009, 08:14 PM
Exactly as the title says ! What is a learning journal ? Is it the same as a daily diary ?

Minstrel
11-06-2009, 08:27 PM
The daily diary is exactly that - things the child has done that day. Its for you and parnets to communicate things like sleeps, meals, nappies etc.

Learning journal is following what the child is doing over the whole time. evidence of work, certificates of achievements, photos, observations, etc etc

It can act as a nice keepsake for parents when the child leaves as a memories book type thing.

does that help?

Rach30
11-06-2009, 08:30 PM
Kind of . But i put my ob's , links to EYFS and next steps in the daily dairy so does that make it a cross between a daily diary and a learning journal ?

Minstrel
11-06-2009, 08:34 PM
Yes i guess it does.

Doesn't that make it a very large document to keep passing back from you and the parents?

Also what would you do if they lost it? you wouldnt have you evidence to show OFSTED?

Rach30
11-06-2009, 08:36 PM
No its not a big document cos the ob's , links and next steps are brief . But yeah if they lost it i would be f:censored: d !!! Never thought of that :D

Rach30
11-06-2009, 08:37 PM
But when do you show the parents the journal ??

wellybelly
11-06-2009, 08:39 PM
I have ring binders for all the children, but the children I focus on most e.g. the ones I childmind for during the day while the rest are at school are now progressing onto lever arch files.

My learning journeys are full of obs, photos, next steps planning, interests, examples of their work, development matters pages, communication with parents, reports and anything else I feel relevant.

wellybelly
11-06-2009, 08:41 PM
I try to give them to parents every month, I really have to push them onto some parents as they arnt always interests. Getting them to sign and make comments in them is also a challenge, but ive done all that work, they just need to make a few feedback comments and I do expect this.

06lottie
15-06-2009, 02:24 PM
thanks again for information xxx so helpful xx

has anyone use a tracker (book )?? i went on a networking course a week ago and i got one in my pack.This all seems confusing what to use.Everyone has there own way and what fits in with them.I wanted to create a scapebook for each child but I like the word memory book that some use on here.

thanks for all the advice and info x