PDA

View Full Version : Urgent Help! - EYFS parent enquiry

HelenD
11-06-2009, 06:54 PM
Hi,

Wondered if anyone can help, I'm newly registered and have just had an enquiry from a lady asking me to care for her 4 year old daughter in September, she will be starting reception class at Primary school and will be going part-time September to December.

She currently attends a nursery and the mother was asking me all about the EYFS and the things I would do with her daughter to link into it, as she's worried that she will get bored!

As I'm new to all this and have only had minimal training I just don't know where to start!

Please help!

Helen.

Deb
11-06-2009, 09:06 PM
I would get the parent a copy of the 'EYFS a guide for parents' and then I would tell her that they EYFS isnt about stopping a child from being bored but a guidline for practitioners to ensure that the childs time is used to its best. That will also mean that a child needs rest. You will link in with preschool and carry on as usual.

sarah707
11-06-2009, 09:14 PM
Totally agree with Deb!

You are complementing the care the child receives elsewhere... so you find out what the child does at school and don't double things up.

After schoolers are usually tired and want to follow thier interests and have a bit of a chill. If you offer this then you are meeting the requirements of the Eyfs.

If she wants more for her child, then you need to ask what she has in mind. :D

HelenD
11-06-2009, 10:07 PM
Thanks for your replies, I have to say I thought EYFS wasn't just about structured activities like the mum implied it was, I thought it was also about everyday things and could be about the types of toys that they play with. I also think that the little girl will be really tired after a morning at school, I remember how my daughter was when she first started, so I thought going to the park and things like that would be good for her! and as you say, following the things she likes to do and having a bit of a chill.

Helen x